• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

Looking for Paul

Mark 16:10

She
ἐκείνη (ekeinē)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 1565: That, that one there, yonder. From ekei; that one (neuter) thing); often intensified by the article prefixed.

went
πορευθεῖσα (poreutheisa)
Verb - Aorist Participle Passive - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 4198: To travel, journey, go, die.

[and] told
ἀπήγγειλεν (apēngeilen)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 518: To report (from one place to another), bring a report, announce, declare. From apo and the base of aggelos; to announce.

those
τοῖς (tois)
Article - Dative Masculine Plural
Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.

who had been
γενομένοις (genomenois)
Verb - Aorist Participle Middle - Dative Masculine Plural
Strong's 1096: A prolongation and middle voice form of a primary verb; to cause to be, i.e. to become, used with great latitude.

with
μετ’ (met’)
Preposition
Strong's 3326: (a) gen: with, in company with, (b) acc: (1) behind, beyond, after, of place, (2) after, of time, with nouns, neut. of adjectives.

Him,
αὐτοῦ (autou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

who were [now] mourning
πενθοῦσι (penthousi)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Dative Masculine Plural
Strong's 3996: To mourn, lament, feel guilt. From penthos; to grieve.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction
Strong's 2532: And, even, also, namely.

weeping.
κλαίουσιν (klaiousin)
Strong's 2799: To weep, weep for, mourn, lament. Of uncertain affinity; to sob, i.e. Wail aloud.

Mark 16:11

And when they
κἀκεῖνοι (kakeinoi)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 2548: And he, she, it, and that. From kai and ekeinos; likewise that.

heard
ἀκούσαντες (akousantes)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 191: To hear, listen, comprehend by hearing; pass: is heard, reported. A primary verb; to hear.

that
ὅτι (hoti)
Conjunction
Strong's 3754: Neuter of hostis as conjunction; demonstrative, that; causative, because.

[Jesus] was alive
ζῇ (zē)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 2198: To live, be alive. A primary verb; to live.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

she had seen Him,
ἐθεάθη (etheathē)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Passive - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 2300: A prolonged form of a primary verb; to look closely at, i.e. perceive; by extension to visit.

they did not believe [it].
ἠπίστησαν (ēpistēsan)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 569: To be unfaithful, disbelieve, refuse belief, prove false. From apistos; to be unbelieving, i.e. disbelieve, or disobey.

Mark 16:12

After
Μετὰ (Meta)
Preposition
Strong's 3326: (a) gen: with, in company with, (b) acc: (1) behind, beyond, after, of place, (2) after, of time, with nouns, neut. of adjectives.

[this],
ταῦτα (tauta)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Accusative Neuter Plural
Strong's 3778: This; he, she, it.

[Jesus] appeared
ἐφανερώθη (ephanerōthē)
Strong's 5319: To make clear (visible, manifest), make known. From phaneros; to render apparent.

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition
Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

a different
ἑτέρᾳ (hetera)
Adjective - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's 2087: (a) of two: another, a second, (b) other, different, (c) one's neighbor. Of uncertain affinity; other or different.

form
μορφῇ (morphē)
Noun - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's 3444: Form, shape, outward appearance. Perhaps from the base of meros; shape; figuratively, nature.

to two
δυσὶν (dysin)
Adjective - Dative Masculine Plural
Strong's 1417: Two. A primary numeral; 'two'.

of
ἐξ (ex)
Preposition
Strong's 1537: From out, out from among, from, suggesting from the interior outwards. A primary preposition denoting origin, from, out.

them
αὐτῶν (autōn)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

as they walked
περιπατοῦσιν (peripatousin)
Strong's 4043: From peri and pateo; to tread all around, i.e. Walk at large; figuratively, to live, deport oneself, follow.

along
πορευομένοις (poreuomenois)
Verb - Present Participle Middle or Passive - Dative Masculine Plural

in
εἰς (eis)
Preposition
Strong's 1519: A primary preposition; to or into, of place, time, or purpose; also in adverbial phrases.

[the] country.
ἀγρόν (agron)
Noun - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's 68: From ago; a field; genitive case, the country; specially, a farm, i.e. Hamlet.

Mark 16:13

And they
κἀκεῖνοι (kakeinoi)
Strong's 2548: And he, she, it, and that. From kai and ekeinos; likewise that.

went back
ἀπελθόντες (apelthontes)
Strong's 565: From apo and erchomai; to go off, aside or behind, literally or figuratively.

and reported [it]
ἀπήγγειλαν (apēngeilan)
Strong's 518: To report (from one place to another), bring a report, announce, declare. From apo and the base of aggelos; to announce.

to the
τοῖς (tois)
Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.

rest,
λοιποῖς (loipois)
Strong's 3062: Left, left behind, the remainder, the rest, the others. Masculine plural of a derivative of leipo; remaining ones.

but they did not believe
ἐπίστευσαν (episteusan)
Strong's 4100: From pistis; to have faith, i.e. Credit; by implication, to entrust.

them
ἐκείνοις (ekeinois)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Dative Masculine Plural
Strong's 1565: That, that one there, yonder. From ekei; that one (neuter) thing); often intensified by the article prefixed.

either.
οὐδὲ (oude)
Conjunction
Strong's 3761: Neither, nor, not even, and not. From ou and de; not however, i.e. Neither, nor, not even.

Mark 16:14

Later
Ὕστερον (Hysteron)
Adverb
Strong's 5305: Lastly, afterward, later. Neuter of husteros as adverb; more lately, i.e. Eventually.

as they were eating,
ἀνακειμένοις (anakeimenois)
Verb - Present Participle Middle or Passive - Dative Masculine Plural
Strong's 345: To recline, especially at a dinner-table. From ana and keimai; to recline.

[Jesus] appeared
ἐφανερώθη (ephanerōthē)
Strong's 5319: To make clear (visible, manifest), make known. From phaneros; to render apparent.

to the
τοῖς (tois)

eleven
ἕνδεκα (hendeka)
Strong's 1733: Eleven. From heis and deka; one and ten, i.e. Eleven.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

rebuked them
ὠνείδισεν (ōneidisen)
Strong's 3679: To reproach, revile, upbraid. From oneidos; to defame, i.e. Rail at, chide, taunt.

for their
αὐτῶν (autōn)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Plural

unbelief
ἀπιστίαν (apistian)
Noun - Accusative Feminine Singular
Strong's 570: Unbelief, unfaithfulness, distrust. From apistos; faithlessness, i.e. disbelief, or unfaithfulness.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

hardness of heart,
σκληροκαρδίαν (sklērokardian)
Strong's 4641: Feminine of a compound of skleros and kardia; hard-heartedness, i.e., destitution of perception.

because
ὅτι (hoti)
Conjunction
Strong's 3754: Neuter of hostis as conjunction; demonstrative, that; causative, because.

they did not believe
ἐπίστευσαν (episteusan)
Strong's 4100: From pistis; to have faith, i.e. Credit; by implication, to entrust.

those
τοῖς (tois)

who had seen
θεασαμένοις (theasamenois)
Verb - Aorist Participle Middle - Dative Masculine Plural
Strong's 2300: A prolonged form of a primary verb; to look closely at, i.e. perceive; by extension to visit.

Him
αὐτὸν (auton)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative Masculine 3rd Person Singular

after He had risen.
ἐγηγερμένον (egēgermenon)
Verb - Perfect Participle Middle or Passive - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's 1453: (a) I wake, arouse, (b) I raise up. Probably akin to the base of agora; to waken, i.e. Rouse.

Mark 16:15

And
Καὶ (Kai)
Conjunction

He said
εἶπεν (eipen)
Strong's 2036: Answer, bid, bring word, command. A primary verb; to speak or say.

to them,
αὐτοῖς (autois)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative Masculine 3rd Person Plural

“Go
Πορευθέντες (Poreuthentes)
Verb - Aorist Participle Passive - Nominative Masculine Plural

into
εἰς (eis)
Preposition
Strong's 1519: A primary preposition; to or into, of place, time, or purpose; also in adverbial phrases.

all
ἅπαντα (hapanta)
Adjective - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's 537: All, the whole, altogether. Absolutely all or every one.

the
τὸν (ton)
Article - Accusative Masculine Singular

world
κόσμον (kosmon)
Strong's 2889: Probably from the base of komizo; orderly arrangement, i.e. Decoration; by implication, the world (morally).

[and] preach
κηρύξατε (kēryxate)
Verb - Aorist Imperative Active - 2nd Person Plural
Strong's 2784: To proclaim, herald, preach. Of uncertain affinity; to herald, especially divine truth.

the
τὸ (to)
Article - Accusative Neuter Singular

gospel
εὐαγγέλιον (euangelion)
Noun - Accusative Neuter Singular
Strong's 2098: From the same as euaggelizo; a good message, i.e. The gospel.

to every
πάσῃ (pasē)
Strong's 3956: All, the whole, every kind of. Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole.

creature.
κτίσει (ktisei)
Strong's 2937: From ktizo; original formation.

Mark 16:16

Whoever
ὁ (ho)
Article - Nominative Masculine Singular

believes
πιστεύσας (pisteusas)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

is baptized
βαπτισθεὶς (baptistheis)
Verb - Aorist Participle Passive - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 907: Lit: I dip, submerge, but specifically of ceremonial dipping; I baptize.

will be saved,
σωθήσεται (sōthēsetai)
Verb - Future Indicative Passive - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 4982: To save, heal, preserve, rescue. From a primary sos; to save, i.e. Deliver or protect.

but
δὲ (de)
Conjunction
Strong's 1161: A primary particle; but, and, etc.

whoever
ὁ (ho)

does not believe
ἀπιστήσας (apistēsas)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 569: To be unfaithful, disbelieve, refuse belief, prove false. From apistos; to be unbelieving, i.e. disbelieve, or disobey.

will be condemned.
κατακριθήσεται (katakrithēsetai)
Verb - Future Indicative Passive - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 2632: To condemn, judge worthy of punishment. From kata and krino; to judge against, i.e. Sentence.

Mark 16:17

And
δὲ (de)
Conjunction

these
ταῦτα (tauta)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Nominative Neuter Plural

signs
σημεῖα (sēmeia)
Noun - Nominative Neuter Plural
Strong's 4592: Neuter of a presumed derivative of the base of semaino; an indication, especially ceremonially or supernaturally.

will accompany
παρακολουθήσει (parakolouthēsei)
Verb - Future Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 5023: This; he, she, it. Nominative or accusative case neuter plural of houtos; these things.

those
τοῖς (tois)

who believe:
πιστεύσασιν (pisteusasin)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Dative Masculine Plural

In
ἐν (en)
Preposition
Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

My
μου (mou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive 1st Person Singular
Strong's 1473: I, the first-person pronoun. A primary pronoun of the first person I.

name
ὀνόματί (onomati)
Noun - Dative Neuter Singular
Strong's 3686: Name, character, fame, reputation. From a presumed derivative of the base of ginosko; a 'name'.

they will drive out
ἐκβαλοῦσιν (ekbalousin)
Verb - Future Indicative Active - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 1544: To throw (cast, put) out; I banish; I bring forth, produce. From ek and ballo; to eject.

demons;
δαιμόνια (daimonia)
Noun - Accusative Neuter Plural
Strong's 1140: An evil-spirit, demon; a heathen deity. Neuter of a derivative of daimon; a d?Monic being; by extension a deity.

they will speak
λαλήσουσιν (lalēsousin)
Strong's 2980: A prolonged form of an otherwise obsolete verb; to talk, i.e. Utter words.

in new
καιναῖς (kainais)
Adjective - Dative Feminine Plural
Strong's 2537: Fresh, new, unused, novel. Of uncertain affinity; new

tongues;
γλώσσαις (glōssais)
Noun - Dative Feminine Plural
Strong's 1100: The tongue; by implication, a language.

Mark 16:18

they will pick up
ἀροῦσιν (arousin)
Strong's 142: To raise, lift up, take away, remove.

snakes
ὄφεις (opheis)
Noun - Accusative Masculine Plural
Strong's 3789: Probably from optanomai; a snake, figuratively, an artful malicious person, especially Satan.

with
ἐν (en)
Preposition

their
ταῖς (tais)
Article - Dative Feminine Plural

hands,
χερσὶν (chersin)
Noun - Dative Feminine Plural
Strong's 5495: A hand.

and if
κἂν (kan)
Conjunction
Strong's 2579: And if, even if, even, at least. From kai and ean; and if.

they drink
πίωσιν (piōsin)
Verb - Aorist Subjunctive Active - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 4095: To drink, imbibe. A prolonged form of pio, which poo occurs only as an alternate in certain tenses; to imbibe.

any
τι (ti)
Interrogative / Indefinite Pronoun - Accusative Neuter Singular
Strong's 5100: Any one, some one, a certain one or thing. An enclitic indefinite pronoun; some or any person or object.

deadly poison,
θανάσιμόν (thanasimon)
Adjective - Accusative Neuter Singular
Strong's 2286: Deadly, mortal, fatal. From thanatos; fatal, i.e. Poisonous.

it will not harm
βλάψῃ (blapsē)
Verb - Aorist Subjunctive Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 984: To hurt, injure. A primary verb; properly, to hinder, i.e. to injure.

them;
αὐτοὺς (autous)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative Masculine 3rd Person Plural

they will lay
ἐπιθήσουσιν (epithēsousin)
Strong's 2007: To put, place upon, lay on; I add, give in addition. From epi and tithemi; to impose.

[their] hands
χεῖρας (cheiras)
Noun - Accusative Feminine Plural

on
ἐπὶ (epi)
Preposition
Strong's 1909: On, to, against, on the basis of, at.

[the] sick,
ἀρρώστους (arrōstous)
Adjective - Accusative Masculine Plural
Strong's 732: Infirm, sick, ill, feeble, sickly. Infirm.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

they will be made
ἕξουσιν (hexousin)
Strong's 2192: To have, hold, possess. Including an alternate form scheo skheh'-o; a primary verb; to hold.

well.”
καλῶς (kalōs)
Adverb
Strong's 2573: Well, nobly, honorably, rightly. Adverb from kalos; well.

Mark 16:19

After
μετὰ (meta)
Preposition

the
Ὁ (Ho)

Lord
Κύριος (Kyrios)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2962: Lord, master, sir; the Lord. From kuros; supreme in authority, i.e. controller; by implication, Master.

Jesus
Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2424: Of Hebrew origin; Jesus, the name of our Lord and two other Israelites.

had spoken
λαλῆσαι (lalēsai)
Verb - Aorist Infinitive Active
Strong's 2980: A prolonged form of an otherwise obsolete verb; to talk, i.e. Utter words.

to them,
αὐτοῖς (autois)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative Masculine 3rd Person Plural

He was taken up
ἀνελήμφθη (anelēmphthē)
Strong's 353: To take up, raise; I pick up, take on board; I carry off, lead away. From ana and lambano; to take up.

into
εἰς (eis)
Preposition

heaven
οὐρανὸν (ouranon)
Strong's 3772: Perhaps from the same as oros; the sky; by extension, heaven; by implication, happiness, power, eternity; specially, the Gospel.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

sat down
ἐκάθισεν (ekathisen)
Strong's 2523: Another form for kathezomai; to seat down, i.e. Set; intransitively, to sit; figuratively, to settle.

at
ἐκ (ek)
Preposition
Strong's 1537: From out, out from among, from, suggesting from the interior outwards. A primary preposition denoting origin, from, out.

[the] right hand
δεξιῶν (dexiōn)
Adjective - Genitive Neuter Plural
Strong's 1188: On the right hand, right hand, right. From dechomai; the right side or hand.

of God.
Θεοῦ (Theou)
Noun - Genitive Masculine Singular
Strong's 2316: A deity, especially the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very.

Mark 16:20

And
δὲ (de)
Conjunction

they
ἐκεῖνοι (ekeinoi)

went out
ἐξελθόντες (exelthontes)
Strong's 1831: To go out, come out. From ek and erchomai; to issue.

[and] preached
ἐκήρυξαν (ekēryxan)
Strong's 2784: To proclaim, herald, preach. Of uncertain affinity; to herald, especially divine truth.

everywhere,
πανταχοῦ (pantachou)
Adverb
Strong's 3837: Everywhere, in all places. Genitive case of a presumed derivative of pas; universally.

[and] the
τοῦ (tou)
Article - Genitive Masculine Singular

Lord
Κυρίου (Kyriou)
Strong's 2962: Lord, master, sir; the Lord. From kuros; supreme in authority, i.e. controller; by implication, Master.

worked through [them],
συνεργοῦντος (synergountos)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Genitive Masculine Singular
Strong's 4903: To cooperate with, work together. From sunergos; to be a fellow-worker, i.e. Co-operate.

confirming
βεβαιοῦντος (bebaiountos)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Genitive Masculine Singular
Strong's 950: To confirm, ratify, secure, establish; pass: I guarantee. From bebaios; to stabilitate.

[His]
τὸν (ton)

word
λόγον (logon)
Strong's 3056: From lego; something said; by implication, a topic, also reasoning or motive; by extension, a computation; specially, the Divine Expression.

by
διὰ (dia)
Preposition
Strong's 1223: A primary preposition denoting the channel of an act; through.

the
τῶν (tōn)
Article - Genitive Neuter Plural

signs
σημείων (sēmeiōn)
Noun - Genitive Neuter Plural
Strong's 4592: Neuter of a presumed derivative of the base of semaino; an indication, especially ceremonially or supernaturally.

that accompanied [it].
ἐπακολουθούντων (epakolouthountōn)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Genitive Neuter Plural
Strong's 1872: To follow close after, accompany, dog; I imitate, pursue, be studious of. From epi and akoloutheo; to accompany.

Luke 24:1

On the
Τῇ (Tē)
Article - Dative Feminine Singular

first [day]
μιᾷ (mia)
Strong's 1520: One. (including the neuter Hen); a primary numeral; one.

of the
τῶν (tōn)
Article - Genitive Neuter Plural

week,
σαββάτων (sabbatōn)
Strong's 4521: The Sabbath, a week.

very early
βαθέως (batheōs)
Adjective - Genitive Masculine Singular
Strong's 901: From the base of basis; profound, literally or figuratively.

in the morning,
ὄρθρου (orthrou)
Strong's 3722: Early dawn, day-break. From the same as oros; dawn; by extension, morn.

[the women] came
ἦλθον (ēlthon)
Strong's 2064: To come, go.

to
ἐπὶ (epi)
Preposition
Strong's 1909: On, to, against, on the basis of, at.

the
τὸ (to)

tomb,
μνῆμα (mnēma)
Strong's 3418: A tomb, monument, memorial. From mnaomai; a memorial, i.e. Sepulchral monument.

bringing
φέρουσαι (pherousai)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Nominative Feminine Plural
Strong's 5342: To carry, bear, bring; I conduct, lead; perhaps: I make publicly known. A primary verb.

[the] spices
ἀρώματα (arōmata)
Strong's 759: Spice, perfume. From airo; an aromatic.

they had prepared.
ἡτοίμασαν (hētoimasan)
Strong's 2090: To make ready, prepare. From hetoimos; to prepare.

Luke 24:2

They found
εὗρον (heuron)
Strong's 2147: A prolonged form of a primary heuro, which heureo is used for it in all the tenses except the present and imperfect to find.

the
τὸν (ton)

stone
λίθον (lithon)
Strong's 3037: A stone; met: of Jesus as the chief stone in a building. Apparently a primary word; a stone.

rolled away
ἀποκεκυλισμένον (apokekylismenon)
Verb - Perfect Participle Middle or Passive - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's 617: To roll away. From apo and kulioo; to roll away.

from
ἀπὸ (apo)
Preposition
Strong's 575: From, away from. A primary particle; 'off, ' i.e. Away, in various senses.

the
τοῦ (tou)
Article - Genitive Neuter Singular

tomb,
μνημείου (mnēmeiou)
Noun - Genitive Neuter Singular
Strong's 3419: A tomb, sepulcher, monument. From mneme; a remembrance, i.e. Cenotaph.

Luke 24:3

but
δὲ (de)
Conjunction

when they entered,
εἰσελθοῦσαι (eiselthousai)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Nominative Feminine Plural
Strong's 1525: To go in, come in, enter. From eis and erchomai; to enter.

they did not find
εὗρον (heuron)
Strong's 2147: A prolonged form of a primary heuro, which heureo is used for it in all the tenses except the present and imperfect to find.

the
τὸ (to)

body
σῶμα (sōma)
Strong's 4983: Body, flesh; the body of the Church. From sozo; the body, used in a very wide application, literally or figuratively.

of the
τοῦ (tou)
Article - Genitive Masculine Singular

Lord
Κυρίου (Kyriou)

Jesus.
Ἰησοῦ (Iēsou)
Strong's 2424: Of Hebrew origin; Jesus, the name of our Lord and two other Israelites.

Luke 24:4

While
ἐν (en)
Preposition

they
αὐτὰς (autas)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative Feminine 3rd Person Plural

were puzzling
ἀπορεῖσθαι (aporeisthai)
Verb - Present Infinitive Middle
Strong's 639: From a compound of a and the base of poreuomai; to have no way out, i.e. Be at a loss.

over
περὶ (peri)
Preposition
Strong's 4012: From the base of peran; properly, through, i.e. Around; figuratively with respect to; used in various applications, of place, cause or time.

this,
τούτου (toutou)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Genitive Neuter Singular

suddenly
ἰδοὺ (idou)
Verb - Aorist Imperative Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 2400: See! Lo! Behold! Look! Second person singular imperative middle voice of eido; used as imperative lo!

two
δύο (dyo)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 1417: Two. A primary numeral; 'two'.

men
ἄνδρες (andres)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 435: A male human being; a man, husband. A primary word; a man.

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition

radiant
ἀστραπτούσῃ (astraptousē)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's 797: To flash (with, then like, lightning), be lustrous. Probably from aster; to flash as lightning.

apparel
ἐσθῆτι (esthēti)
Strong's 2066: Clothing, raiment, vestment, robe. From hennumi; dress.

stood beside
ἐπέστησαν (epestēsan)
Strong's 2186: To stand by, be urgent, befall one (as of evil), be at hand, impend. From epi and histemi; to stand upon, i.e. Be present.

them.
αὐταῖς (autais)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative Feminine 3rd Person Plural

Luke 24:5

As
δὲ (de)
Conjunction

[the women]
αὐτῶν (autōn)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Feminine 3rd Person Plural

bowed
κλινουσῶν (klinousōn)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Genitive Feminine Plural
Strong's 2827: A primary verb; to slant or slope, i.e. Incline or recline.

[their]
τὰ (ta)
Article - Accusative Neuter Plural

faces
πρόσωπα (prosōpa)
Strong's 4383: From pros and ops; the front, i.e. The countenance, aspect, appearance, surface; by implication, presence, person.

to
εἰς (eis)
Preposition

the
τὴν (tēn)
Article - Accusative Feminine Singular

ground
γῆν (gēn)
Strong's 1093: Contracted from a primary word; soil; by extension a region, or the solid part or the whole of the terrene globe.

in terror,
ἐμφόβων (emphobōn)
Adjective - Genitive Feminine Plural
Strong's 1719: Full of fear, terrified. From en and phobos; in fear, i.e. Alarmed.

[the two men] asked
εἶπαν (eipan)
Strong's 2036: Answer, bid, bring word, command. A primary verb; to speak or say.

them,
αὐτάς (autas)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative Feminine 3rd Person Plural

“Why
Τί (Ti)
Interrogative / Indefinite Pronoun - Accusative Neuter Singular
Strong's 5101: Who, which, what, why. Probably emphatic of tis; an interrogative pronoun, who, which or what.

do you look for
ζητεῖτε (zēteite)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 2nd Person Plural
Strong's 2212: To seek, search for, desire, require, demand. Of uncertain affinity; to seek; specially, to worship, or to plot.

the
τὸν (ton)

living
ζῶντα (zōnta)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2198: To live, be alive. A primary verb; to live.

among
μετὰ (meta)
Preposition

the
τῶν (tōn)
Article - Genitive Masculine Plural

dead?
νεκρῶν (nekrōn)
Adjective - Genitive Masculine Plural
Strong's 3498: (a) adj: dead, lifeless, subject to death, mortal, (b) noun: a dead body, a corpse. From an apparently primary nekus; dead.

Luke 24:6

He is
ἔστιν (estin)
Strong's 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

not
οὐκ (ouk)
Adverb
Strong's 3756: No, not. Also ouk, and ouch a primary word; the absolute negative adverb; no or not.

here;
ὧδε (hōde)
Adverb
Strong's 5602: From an adverb form of hode; in this same spot, i.e. Here or hither.

He has risen!
ἠγέρθη (ēgerthē)
Strong's 1453: (a) I wake, arouse, (b) I raise up. Probably akin to the base of agora; to waken, i.e. Rouse.

Remember
μνήσθητε (mnēsthēte)
Verb - Aorist Imperative Passive - 2nd Person Plural
Strong's 3403: To remember, call to mind, recall, mention. A prolonged form of mnaomai; to remind, i.e. to recall to mind.

how
ὡς (hōs)
Adverb
Strong's 5613: Probably adverb of comparative from hos; which how, i.e. In that manner.

He told
ἐλάλησεν (elalēsen)

you
ὑμῖν (hymin)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative 2nd Person Plural
Strong's 4771: You. The person pronoun of the second person singular; thou.

while He was
ὢν (ōn)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

still
ἔτι (eti)
Adverb
Strong's 2089: (a) of time: still, yet, even now, (b) of degree: even, further, more, in addition. Perhaps akin to etos; 'yet, ' still.

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition

Galilee:
Γαλιλαίᾳ (Galilaia)
Strong's 1056: Of Hebrew origin; Galiloea, a region of Palestine.

Luke 24:7

‘The
Τὸν (Ton)

Son
Υἱὸν (Huion)
Strong's 5207: A son, descendent. Apparently a primary word; a 'son', used very widely of immediate, remote or figuratively, kinship.

of Man
ἀνθρώπου (anthrōpou)
Strong's 444: A man, one of the human race. From aner and ops; man-faced, i.e. A human being.

must
δεῖ (dei)
Strong's 1163: Third person singular active present of deo; also deon deh-on'; neuter active participle of the same; both used impersonally; it is Necessary.

be delivered
παραδοθῆναι (paradothēnai)
Verb - Aorist Infinitive Passive
Strong's 3860: From para and didomi; to surrender, i.e yield up, intrust, transmit.

into
εἰς (eis)
Preposition

[the] hands
χεῖρας (cheiras)
Noun - Accusative Feminine Plural

of sinful
ἁμαρτωλῶν (hamartōlōn)
Adjective - Genitive Masculine Plural
Strong's 268: Sinning, sinful, depraved, detestable. From hamartano; sinful, i.e. A sinner.

men,
ἀνθρώπων (anthrōpōn)
Noun - Genitive Masculine Plural
Strong's 444: A man, one of the human race. From aner and ops; man-faced, i.e. A human being.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

be crucified,
σταυρωθῆναι (staurōthēnai)
Verb - Aorist Infinitive Passive
Strong's 4717: From stauros; to impale on the cross; figuratively, to extinguish passion or selfishness.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

on the
τῇ (tē)
Article - Dative Feminine Singular

third
τρίτῃ (tritē)
Strong's 5154: Third. Ordinal from treis; third; neuter a third part, or a third time, thirdly.

day
ἡμέρᾳ (hēmera)
Strong's 2250: A day, the period from sunrise to sunset.

rise again.’”
ἀναστῆναι (anastēnai)
Verb - Aorist Infinitive Active
Strong's 450: To raise up, set up; I rise from among (the) dead; I arise, appear. From ana and histemi; to stand up.

Luke 24:8

Then
Καὶ (Kai)
Conjunction

they remembered
ἐμνήσθησαν (emnēsthēsan)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Passive - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 3403: To remember, call to mind, recall, mention. A prolonged form of mnaomai; to remind, i.e. to recall to mind.

His
αὐτοῦ (autou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Singular

words.
ῥημάτων (rhēmatōn)
Strong's 4487: From rheo; an utterance, ; by implication, a matter or topic; with a negative naught whatever.

Luke 24:9

And
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

when they returned
ὑποστρέψασαι (hypostrepsasai)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Nominative Feminine Plural
Strong's 5290: To turn back, return. From hupo and strepho; to turn under, i.e. To return.

from
ἀπὸ (apo)
Preposition
Strong's 575: From, away from. A primary particle; 'off, ' i.e. Away, in various senses.

the
τοῦ (tou)
Article - Genitive Neuter Singular

tomb,
μνημείου (mnēmeiou)
Noun - Genitive Neuter Singular
Strong's 3419: A tomb, sepulcher, monument. From mneme; a remembrance, i.e. Cenotaph.

they reported
ἀπήγγειλαν (apēngeilan)

all
πάντα (panta)
Adjective - Accusative Neuter Plural
Strong's 3956: All, the whole, every kind of. Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole.

these things
ταῦτα (tauta)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Accusative Neuter Plural

to the
τοῖς (tois)

eleven
ἕνδεκα (hendeka)
Strong's 1733: Eleven. From heis and deka; one and ten, i.e. Eleven.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

to all
πᾶσιν (pasin)

the
τοῖς (tois)

others.
λοιποῖς (loipois)
Strong's 3062: Left, left behind, the remainder, the rest, the others. Masculine plural of a derivative of leipo; remaining ones.

Back