• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

Looking for Paul

Matthew 28:5

But
δὲ (de)
Conjunction
Strong's 1161: A primary particle; but, and, etc.

the
ὁ (ho)
Article - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.

angel
ἄγγελος (angelos)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 32: From aggello; a messenger; especially an 'angel'; by implication, a pastor.

said
εἶπεν (eipen)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 2036: Answer, bid, bring word, command. A primary verb; to speak or say.

to the
ταῖς (tais)
Article - Dative Feminine Plural
Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.

women,
γυναιξίν (gynaixin)
Noun - Dative Feminine Plural
Strong's 1135: A woman, wife, my lady. Probably from the base of ginomai; a woman; specially, a wife.

“{Do} not
Μὴ (Mē)
Adverb
Strong's 3361: Not, lest. A primary particle of qualified negation; not, lest; also (whereas ou expects an affirmative one) whether.

be afraid,
φοβεῖσθε (phobeisthe)
Verb - Present Imperative Middle or Passive - 2nd Person Plural
Strong's 5399: From phobos; to frighten, i.e. to be alarmed; by analogy, to be in awe of, i.e. Revere.

for
γὰρ (gar)
Conjunction
Strong's 1063: For. A primary particle; properly, assigning a reason.

I know
οἶδα (oida)
Verb - Perfect Indicative Active - 1st Person Singular
Strong's 1492: To know, remember, appreciate.

that
ὅτι (hoti)
Conjunction
Strong's 3754: Neuter of hostis as conjunction; demonstrative, that; causative, because.

you
ὑμεῖς (hymeis)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Nominative 2nd Person Plural
Strong's 4771: You. The person pronoun of the second person singular; thou.

are looking for
ζητεῖτε (zēteite)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 2nd Person Plural
Strong's 2212: To seek, search for, desire, require, demand. Of uncertain affinity; to seek; specially, to worship, or to plot.

Jesus,
Ἰησοῦν (Iēsoun)
Noun - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2424: Of Hebrew origin; Jesus, the name of our Lord and two other Israelites.

who
τὸν (ton)
Article - Accusative Masculine Singular

was crucified.
ἐσταυρωμένον (estaurōmenon)
Verb - Perfect Participle Middle or Passive - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's 4717: From stauros; to impale on the cross; figuratively, to extinguish passion or selfishness.

Matthew 28:6

He is
ἔστιν (estin)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

not
οὐκ (ouk)
Adverb
Strong's 3756: No, not. Also ouk, and ouch a primary word; the absolute negative adverb; no or not.

here;
ὧδε (hōde)
Adverb
Strong's 5602: From an adverb form of hode; in this same spot, i.e. Here or hither.

He has risen,
ἠγέρθη (ēgerthē)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Passive - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1453: (a) I wake, arouse, (b) I raise up. Probably akin to the base of agora; to waken, i.e. Rouse.

just as
καθὼς (kathōs)
Adverb
Strong's 2531: According to the manner in which, in the degree that, just as, as. From kata and hos; just as, that.

He said!
εἶπεν (eipen)
Strong's 2036: Answer, bid, bring word, command. A primary verb; to speak or say.

Come,
δεῦτε (deute)
Verb - Imperative - 2nd Person Plural
Strong's 1205: Come hither, come, hither, an exclamatory word. From deuro and an imperative form of eimi; come hither!

see
ἴδετε (idete)
Verb - Aorist Imperative Active - 2nd Person Plural
Strong's 3708: Properly, to stare at, i.e. to discern clearly; by extension, to attend to; by Hebraism, to experience; passively, to appear.

the
τὸν (ton)

place
τόπον (topon)
Strong's 5117: Apparently a primary word; a spot, i.e. Location; figuratively, condition, opportunity; specially, a scabbard.

where
ὅπου (hopou)
Adverb
Strong's 3699: Where, whither, in what place. From hos and pou; what(-ever) where, i.e. At whichever spot.

He lay.
ἔκειτο (ekeito)
Verb - Imperfect Indicative Middle or Passive - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 2749: To lie, recline, be placed, be laid, set, specially appointed, destined. Middle voice of a primary verb; to lie outstretched.

Matthew 28:7

Then
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction
Strong's 2532: And, even, also, namely.

go
πορευθεῖσαι (poreutheisai)
Verb - Aorist Participle Passive - Nominative Feminine Plural
Strong's 4198: To travel, journey, go, die.

quickly
ταχὺ (tachy)
Adverb
Strong's 5035: Quickly, speedily. Neuter singular of tachus; shortly, i.e. Without delay, soon, or suddenly, or readily.

[and] tell
εἴπατε (eipate)

His
αὐτοῦ (autou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

disciples,
μαθηταῖς (mathētais)
Noun - Dative Masculine Plural
Strong's 3101: A learner, disciple, pupil. From manthano; a learner, i.e. Pupil.

‘He has risen
Ἠγέρθη (Ēgerthē)
Strong's 1453: (a) I wake, arouse, (b) I raise up. Probably akin to the base of agora; to waken, i.e. Rouse.

from
ἀπὸ (apo)
Preposition
Strong's 575: From, away from. A primary particle; 'off, ' i.e. Away, in various senses.

the
τῶν (tōn)
Article - Genitive Masculine Plural

dead
νεκρῶν (nekrōn)
Adjective - Genitive Masculine Plural
Strong's 3498: (a) adj: dead, lifeless, subject to death, mortal, (b) noun: a dead body, a corpse. From an apparently primary nekus; dead.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

is going ahead of
προάγει (proagei)
Strong's 4254: From pro and ago; to lead forward; intransitively, to precede (participle, previous).

you
ὑμᾶς (hymas)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative 2nd Person Plural

into
εἰς (eis)
Preposition
Strong's 1519: A primary preposition; to or into, of place, time, or purpose; also in adverbial phrases.

Galilee.
Γαλιλαίαν (Galilaian)
Noun - Accusative Feminine Singular
Strong's 1056: Of Hebrew origin; Galiloea, a region of Palestine.

There
ἐκεῖ (ekei)
Adverb
Strong's 1563: (a) there, yonder, in that place, (b) thither, there. Of uncertain affinity; there; by extension, thither.

you will see
ὄψεσθε (opsesthe)
Verb - Future Indicative Middle - 2nd Person Plural
Strong's 3708: Properly, to stare at, i.e. to discern clearly; by extension, to attend to; by Hebraism, to experience; passively, to appear.

Him.’
αὐτὸν (auton)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative Masculine 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

See,
ἰδοὺ (idou)
Verb - Aorist Imperative Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 2400: See! Lo! Behold! Look! Second person singular imperative middle voice of eido; used as imperative lo!

I have told
εἶπον (eipon)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 1st Person Singular

you.�
ὑμῖν (hymin)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative 2nd Person Plural

Matthew 28:8

So
Καὶ (Kai)
Conjunction

they hurried away
ἀπελθοῦσαι (apelthousai)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Nominative Feminine Plural
Strong's 565: From apo and erchomai; to go off, aside or behind, literally or figuratively.

from
ἀπὸ (apo)
Preposition
Strong's 575: From, away from. A primary particle; 'off, ' i.e. Away, in various senses.

the
τοῦ (tou)
Article - Genitive Neuter Singular

tomb
μνημείου (mnēmeiou)
Noun - Genitive Neuter Singular
Strong's 3419: A tomb, sepulcher, monument. From mneme; a remembrance, i.e. Cenotaph.

in
μετὰ (meta)
Preposition
Strong's 3326: (a) gen: with, in company with, (b) acc: (1) behind, beyond, after, of place, (2) after, of time, with nouns, neut. of adjectives.

fear
φόβου (phobou)
Noun - Genitive Masculine Singular
Strong's 5401: (a) fear, terror, alarm, (b) the object or cause of fear, (c) reverence, respect. From a primary phebomai; alarm or fright.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

great
μεγάλης (megalēs)
Adjective - Genitive Feminine Singular
Strong's 3173: Large, great, in the widest sense.

joy,
χαρᾶς (charas)
Noun - Genitive Feminine Singular
Strong's 5479: Joy, gladness, a source of joy. From chairo; cheerfulness, i.e. Calm delight.

[and] ran
ἔδραμον (edramon)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 5143: Apparently a primary verb; which uses dremo drem'-o as alternate in certain tenses; to run or walk hastily.

to tell
ἀπαγγεῖλαι (apangeilai)
Verb - Aorist Infinitive Active
Strong's 518: To report (from one place to another), bring a report, announce, declare. From apo and the base of aggelos; to announce.

His
αὐτοῦ (autou)

disciples.
μαθηταῖς (mathētais)
Strong's 3101: A learner, disciple, pupil. From manthano; a learner, i.e. Pupil.

Matthew 28:9

Suddenly
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

Jesus
Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous)
Strong's 2424: Of Hebrew origin; Jesus, the name of our Lord and two other Israelites.

met
ὑπήντησεν (hypēntēsen)
Strong's 5221: To meet, go to meet. From hupo and a derivative of anti; to go opposite under, i.e. To encounter, fall in with.

them
αὐταῖς (autais)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative Feminine 3rd Person Plural

[and] said,
λέγων (legōn)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3004: (a) I say, speak; I mean, mention, tell, (b) I call, name, especially in the pass., (c) I tell, command.

“Greetings!”
Χαίρετε (Chairete)
Verb - Present Imperative Active - 2nd Person Plural
Strong's 5463: A primary verb; to be 'cheer'ful, i.e. Calmly happy or well-off; impersonally, especially as salutation, be well.

They came to [Him],
προσελθοῦσαι (proselthousai)
Strong's 4334: From pros and erchomai; to approach, i.e. come near, visit, or worship, assent to.

grasped
ἐκράτησαν (ekratēsan)
Strong's 2902: From kratos; to use strength, i.e. Seize or retain.

His
αὐτοῦ (autou)

feet,
πόδας (podas)
Noun - Accusative Masculine Plural
Strong's 4228: The foot. A primary word; a 'foot'.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

worshiped
προσεκύνησαν (prosekynēsan)
Strong's 4352: From pros and a probable derivative of kuon; to fawn or crouch to, i.e. prostrate oneself in homage.

Him.
αὐτῷ (autō)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative Masculine 3rd Person Singular

Matthew 28:10

“{Do} not
Μὴ (Mē)
Adverb
Strong's 3361: Not, lest. A primary particle of qualified negation; not, lest; also (whereas ou expects an affirmative one) whether.

be afraid,”
φοβεῖσθε (phobeisthe)
Strong's 5399: From phobos; to frighten, i.e. to be alarmed; by analogy, to be in awe of, i.e. Revere.

said
λέγει (legei)
Strong's 3004: (a) I say, speak; I mean, mention, tell, (b) I call, name, especially in the pass., (c) I tell, command.

Jesus.
Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous)

“Go,
ὑπάγετε (hypagete)
Strong's 5217: To go away, depart, begone, die. From hupo and ago; to lead under, i.e. Withdraw or retire, literally or figuratively.

tell
ἀπαγγείλατε (apangeilate)
Strong's 518: To report (from one place to another), bring a report, announce, declare. From apo and the base of aggelos; to announce.

My
μου (mou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive 1st Person Singular
Strong's 1473: I, the first-person pronoun. A primary pronoun of the first person I.

brothers
ἀδελφοῖς (adelphois)
Strong's 80: A brother, member of the same religious community, especially a fellow-Christian. A brother near or remote.

to
ἵνα (hina)
Conjunction
Strong's 2443: In order that, so that. Probably from the same as the former part of heautou; in order that.

go
ἀπέλθωσιν (apelthōsin)
Verb - Aorist Subjunctive Active - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 565: From apo and erchomai; to go off, aside or behind, literally or figuratively.

to
εἰς (eis)
Preposition
Strong's 1519: A primary preposition; to or into, of place, time, or purpose; also in adverbial phrases.

Galilee.
Γαλιλαίαν (Galilaian)

There
κἀκεῖ (kakei)
Conjunction
Strong's 2546: And there, and yonder, there also. From kai and ekei; likewise in that place.

they will see
ὄψονται (opsontai)
Verb - Future Indicative Middle - 3rd Person Plural

Me.”
με (me)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative 1st Person Singular
Strong's 1473: I, the first-person pronoun. A primary pronoun of the first person I.

Matthew 28:16

Meanwhile,
δὲ (de)
Conjunction

the
Οἱ (Hoi)
Article - Nominative Masculine Plural

eleven
ἕνδεκα (hendeka)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 1733: Eleven. From heis and deka; one and ten, i.e. Eleven.

disciples
μαθηταὶ (mathētai)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Plural

went
ἐπορεύθησαν (eporeuthēsan)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Passive - 3rd Person Plural

to
εἰς (eis)
Preposition

Galilee,
Γαλιλαίαν (Galilaian)

to
εἰς (eis)
Preposition

the
τὸ (to)
Article - Accusative Neuter Singular

mountain
ὄρος (oros)
Noun - Accusative Neuter Singular
Strong's 3735: A mountain, hill. Probably from an obsolete oro; a mountain: -hill, mount(-ain).

Jesus
Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous)

had designated.
ἐτάξατο (etaxato)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Middle - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 5021: A prolonged form of a primary verb; to arrange in an orderly manner, i.e. Assign or dispose.

Matthew 28:17

When
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

they saw
ἰδόντες (idontes)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Plural

Him,
αὐτὸν (auton)

they worshiped Him,
προσεκύνησαν (prosekynēsan)
Strong's 4352: From pros and a probable derivative of kuon; to fawn or crouch to, i.e. prostrate oneself in homage.

but
δὲ (de)
Conjunction

some
οἱ (hoi)
Article - Nominative Masculine Plural

doubted.
ἐδίστασαν (edistasan)
Strong's 1365: To waver, doubt, hesitate. From dis; properly, to duplicate, i.e. to waver.

Matthew 28:18

Then
Καὶ (Kai)
Conjunction

Jesus
Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous)

came to
προσελθὼν (proselthōn)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 4334: From pros and erchomai; to approach, i.e. come near, visit, or worship, assent to.

them
αὐτοῖς (autois)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative Masculine 3rd Person Plural

[and] said,
ἐλάλησεν (elalēsen)
Strong's 2980: A prolonged form of an otherwise obsolete verb; to talk, i.e. Utter words.

“All
πᾶσα (pasa)
Adjective - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 3956: All, the whole, every kind of. Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole.

authority
ἐξουσία (exousia)
Noun - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 1849: From exesti; privilege, i.e. force, capacity, competency, freedom, or mastery, delegated influence.

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition
Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

heaven
οὐρανῷ (ouranō)
Noun - Dative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3772: Perhaps from the same as oros; the sky; by extension, heaven; by implication, happiness, power, eternity; specially, the Gospel.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

on
ἐπὶ (epi)
Preposition
Strong's 1909: On, to, against, on the basis of, at.

earth
γῆς (gēs)
Strong's 1093: Contracted from a primary word; soil; by extension a region, or the solid part or the whole of the terrene globe.

has been given
Ἐδόθη (Edothē)
Strong's 1325: To offer, give; I put, place. A prolonged form of a primary verb; to give.

to Me.
μοι (moi)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative 1st Person Singular

Matthew 28:19

Therefore
οὖν (oun)
Conjunction
Strong's 3767: Therefore, then. Apparently a primary word; certainly, or accordingly.

go [and]
πορευθέντες (poreuthentes)
Verb - Aorist Participle Passive - Nominative Masculine Plural

make disciples of
μαθητεύσατε (mathēteusate)
Strong's 3100: From mathetes; intransitively, to become a pupil; transitively, to disciple, i.e. Enrol as scholar.

all
πάντα (panta)
Adjective - Accusative Neuter Plural
Strong's 3956: All, the whole, every kind of. Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole.

nations,
ἔθνη (ethnē)
Noun - Accusative Neuter Plural
Strong's 1484: Probably from etho; a race, i.e. A tribe; specially, a foreign one.

baptizing
βαπτίζοντες (baptizontes)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 907: Lit: I dip, submerge, but specifically of ceremonial dipping; I baptize.

them
αὐτοὺς (autous)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative Masculine 3rd Person Plural

in
εἰς (eis)
Preposition

the
τὸ (to)

name
ὄνομα (onoma)
Strong's 3686: Name, character, fame, reputation. From a presumed derivative of the base of ginosko; a 'name'.

of the
τοῦ (tou)
Article - Genitive Masculine Singular

Father,
Πατρὸς (Patros)
Strong's 3962: Father, (Heavenly) Father, ancestor, elder, senior. Apparently a primary word; a 'father'.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

of the
τοῦ (tou)

Son,
Υἱοῦ (Huiou)
Strong's 5207: A son, descendent. Apparently a primary word; a 'son', used very widely of immediate, remote or figuratively, kinship.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

of the
τοῦ (tou)

Holy
Ἁγίου (Hagiou)
Adjective - Genitive Neuter Singular
Strong's 40: Set apart by (or for) God, holy, sacred. From hagos; sacred.

Spirit,
Πνεύματος (Pneumatos)
Strong's 4151: Wind, breath, spirit.

Matthew 28:20

[and] teaching
διδάσκοντες (didaskontes)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 1321: To teach, direct, admonish. A prolonged form of a primary verb dao; to teach.

them
αὐτοὺς (autous)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative Masculine 3rd Person Plural

to obey
τηρεῖν (tērein)
Verb - Present Infinitive Active
Strong's 5083: From teros; to guard, i.e. To note; by implication, to detain; by extension, to withhold; by extension, to withhold.

all
πάντα (panta)

that
ὅσα (hosa)
Personal / Relative Pronoun - Accusative Neuter Plural
Strong's 3745: How much, how great, how many, as great as, as much. By reduplication from hos; as As.

I have commanded
ἐνετειλάμην (eneteilamēn)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Middle - 1st Person Singular
Strong's 1781: To give orders (injunctions, instructions, commands). From en and the base of telos; to enjoin.

you.
ὑμῖν (hymin)

And
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

surely
ἰδοὺ (idou)
Strong's 2400: See! Lo! Behold! Look! Second person singular imperative middle voice of eido; used as imperative lo!

I
ἐγὼ (egō)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Nominative 1st Person Singular

am
εἰμι (eimi)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 1st Person Singular
Strong's 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

with
μεθ’ (meth’)
Preposition
Strong's 3326: (a) gen: with, in company with, (b) acc: (1) behind, beyond, after, of place, (2) after, of time, with nouns, neut. of adjectives.

you
ὑμῶν (hymōn)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive 2nd Person Plural

always,
πάσας (pasas)
Adjective - Accusative Feminine Plural

to
ἕως (heōs)
Preposition
Strong's 2193: A conjunction, preposition and adverb of continuance, until.

the
τῆς (tēs)
Article - Genitive Feminine Singular

very end
συντελείας (synteleias)
Strong's 4930: A completion, consummation, end. From sunteleo; entire completion, i.e. Consummation.

of the
τοῦ (tou)

age.”
αἰῶνος (aiōnos)
Strong's 165: From the same as aei; properly, an age; by extension, perpetuity; by implication, the world; specially a Messianic period.

Mark 16:1

When
Καὶ (Kai)
Conjunction

the
τοῦ (tou)

Sabbath
σαββάτου (sabbatou)
Strong's 4521: The Sabbath, a week.

was over,
διαγενομένου (diagenomenou)
Verb - Aorist Participle Middle - Genitive Neuter Singular
Strong's 1230: To pass (of time); I continue through, intervene. From dia and ginomai; to elapse meanwhile.

Mary
Μαρία (Maria)
Strong's 3137: Or Mariam of Hebrew origin; Maria or Mariam, the name of six Christian females.

Magdalene,
Μαγδαληνὴ (Magdalēnē)
Strong's 3094: Magdalene, a woman of Magdala. Feminine of a derivative of Magdala; a female Magdalene, i.e. Inhabitant of Magdala.

Mary
Μαρία (Maria)
Strong's 3137: Or Mariam of Hebrew origin; Maria or Mariam, the name of six Christian females.

the [mother]
ἡ (hē)
Article - Nominative Feminine Singular

of James,
Ἰακώβου (Iakōbou)
Strong's 2385: The same as Iakob Graecized; Jacobus, the name of three Israelites.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

Salome
Σαλώμη (Salōmē)
Strong's 4539: Salome, wife of Zebedee and mother of James and John, the apostles. Probably of Hebrew origin; Salome, an Israelitess.

bought
ἠγόρασαν (ēgorasan)
Strong's 59: To buy. From agora; properly, to go to market, i.e. to purchase; specially, to redeem.

spices
ἀρώματα (arōmata)
Strong's 759: Spice, perfume. From airo; an aromatic.

so
ἵνα (hina)
Conjunction
Strong's 2443: In order that, so that. Probably from the same as the former part of heautou; in order that.

they could go
ἐλθοῦσαι (elthousai)
Strong's 2064: To come, go.

[and] anoint
ἀλείψωσιν (aleipsōsin)
Verb - Aorist Subjunctive Active - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 218: To anoint: festivally, in homage, medicinally, or in anointing the dead. To oil.

[Jesus’ body].
αὐτόν (auton)

Very
λίαν (lian)
Adverb
Strong's 3029: Very; very much, exceedingly, greatly. Of uncertain affinity; much.

early
πρωῒ (prōi)
Adverb
Strong's 4404: Early in the morning, at dawn. Adverb from pro; at dawn; by implication, the day-break watch.

on the
τῇ (tē)
Article - Dative Feminine Singular

first [day]
μιᾷ (mia)
Adjective - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's 1520: One. (including the neuter Hen); a primary numeral; one.

of the
τῶν (tōn)
Article - Genitive Neuter Plural

week,
σαββάτων (sabbatōn)
Noun - Genitive Neuter Plural

just after sunrise,
ἡλίου (hēliou)
Strong's 2246: The sun, sunlight. From hele; the sun; by implication, light.

they went
ἔρχονται (erchontai)
Verb - Present Indicative Middle or Passive - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 2064: To come, go.

to
ἐπὶ (epi)
Preposition
Strong's 1909: On, to, against, on the basis of, at.

the
τὸ (to)

tomb.
μνημεῖον (mnēmeion)
Strong's 3419: A tomb, sepulcher, monument. From mneme; a remembrance, i.e. Cenotaph.

Mark 16:3

They were asking
ἔλεγον (elegon)
Verb - Imperfect Indicative Active - 3rd Person Plural

one another,
ἑαυτάς (heautas)
Reflexive Pronoun - Accusative Feminine 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 1438: Himself, herself, itself.

“Who
Τίς (Tis)
Interrogative / Indefinite Pronoun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 5101: Who, which, what, why. Probably emphatic of tis; an interrogative pronoun, who, which or what.

will roll away
ἀποκυλίσει (apokylisei)
Verb - Future Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 617: To roll away. From apo and kulioo; to roll away.

the
τὸν (ton)

stone
λίθον (lithon)
Strong's 3037: A stone; met: of Jesus as the chief stone in a building. Apparently a primary word; a stone.

from
ἐκ (ek)
Preposition
Strong's 1537: From out, out from among, from, suggesting from the interior outwards. A primary preposition denoting origin, from, out.

the
τῆς (tēs)
Article - Genitive Feminine Singular

entrance
θύρας (thyras)
Strong's 2374: (a) a door, (b) met: an opportunity. Apparently a primary word; a portal or entrance.

of the
τοῦ (tou)

tomb?”
μνημείου (mnēmeiou)

Mark 16:4

But
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

when they looked up,
ἀναβλέψασαι (anablepsasai)
Strong's 308: To look up, recover my sight. From ana and blepo; to look up; by implication, to recover sight.

they saw
θεωροῦσιν (theōrousin)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 2334: From a derivative of theaomai; to be a spectator of, i.e. Discern, (experience) or intensively (acknowledge).

that
ὅτι (hoti)
Conjunction
Strong's 3754: Neuter of hostis as conjunction; demonstrative, that; causative, because.

the
ὁ (ho)

stone
λίθος (lithos)
Strong's 3037: A stone; met: of Jesus as the chief stone in a building. Apparently a primary word; a stone.

had been rolled away,
ἀποκεκύλισται (apokekylistai)
Verb - Perfect Indicative Middle or Passive - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 617: To roll away. From apo and kulioo; to roll away.

even though
γὰρ (gar)
Conjunction
Strong's 1063: For. A primary particle; properly, assigning a reason.

it was
ἦν (ēn)
Verb - Imperfect Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular

extremely
σφόδρα (sphodra)
Adverb
Strong's 4970: Exceedingly, greatly, very much. Neuter plural of sphodros as adverb; vehemently, i.e. In a high degree, much.

large.
μέγας (megas)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3173: Large, great, in the widest sense.

Mark 16:5

When
Καὶ (Kai)
Conjunction

they entered
εἰσελθοῦσαι (eiselthousai)
Strong's 1525: To go in, come in, enter. From eis and erchomai; to enter.

the
τὸ (to)

tomb,
μνημεῖον (mnēmeion)

they saw
εἶδον (eidon)

a young man
νεανίσκον (neaniskon)
Strong's 3495: A young man, youth, an attendant. From the same as neanias; a youth.

dressed in
περιβεβλημένον (peribeblēmenon)
Strong's 4016: From peri and ballo; to throw all around, i.e. Invest.

a white
λευκήν (leukēn)
Adjective - Accusative Feminine Singular
Strong's 3022: White, bright, brilliant. From luke; white.

robe
στολὴν (stolēn)
Strong's 4749: A long robe, worn by the upper classes in the East. From stello; equipment, i.e., a 'stole' or long-fitting gown.

sitting
καθήμενον (kathēmenon)
Verb - Present Participle Middle or Passive - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2521: To sit, be seated, enthroned; I dwell, reside. From kata; and hemai; to sit down; figuratively, to remain, reside.

on
ἐν (en)
Preposition
Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

the
τοῖς (tois)
Article - Dative Neuter Plural

right side,
δεξιοῖς (dexiois)
Adjective - Dative Neuter Plural
Strong's 1188: On the right hand, right hand, right. From dechomai; the right side or hand.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

they were alarmed.
ἐξεθαμβήθησαν (exethambēthēsan)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Passive - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 1568: To be greatly astonished, be awe-struck. From ekthambos; to astonish utterly.

Mark 16:6

But
δὲ (de)
Conjunction

he said
λέγει (legei)

to them,
αὐταῖς (autais)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative Feminine 3rd Person Plural

“{Do} not
Μὴ (Mē)
Adverb

be alarmed.
ἐκθαμβεῖσθε (ekthambeisthe)
Strong's 1568: To be greatly astonished, be awe-struck. From ekthambos; to astonish utterly.

You are looking for
ζητεῖτε (zēteite)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 2nd Person Plural
Strong's 2212: To seek, search for, desire, require, demand. Of uncertain affinity; to seek; specially, to worship, or to plot.

Jesus
Ἰησοῦν (Iēsoun)

the
τὸν (ton)

Nazarene,
Ναζαρηνὸν (Nazarēnon)
Strong's 3479: Of Nazareth, a Nazarene. From Nazareth; a Nazarene, i.e. Inhabitant of Nazareth.

who
τὸν (ton)

was crucified.
ἐσταυρωμένον (estaurōmenon)
Strong's 4717: From stauros; to impale on the cross; figuratively, to extinguish passion or selfishness.

He has risen!
ἠγέρθη (ēgerthē)

He is
ἔστιν (estin)

not
οὐκ (ouk)
Adverb
Strong's 3756: No, not. Also ouk, and ouch a primary word; the absolute negative adverb; no or not.

here!
ὧδε (hōde)
Adverb
Strong's 5602: From an adverb form of hode; in this same spot, i.e. Here or hither.

See
ἴδε (ide)

the
ὁ (ho)

place
τόπος (topos)
Strong's 5117: Apparently a primary word; a spot, i.e. Location; figuratively, condition, opportunity; specially, a scabbard.

where
ὅπου (hopou)
Adverb
Strong's 3699: Where, whither, in what place. From hos and pou; what(-ever) where, i.e. At whichever spot.

they laid
ἔθηκαν (ethēkan)
Strong's 5087: To put, place, lay, set, fix, establish. A prolonged form of a primary theo to place.

Him.
αὐτόν (auton)

Mark 16:7

But
ἀλλὰ (alla)
Conjunction
Strong's 235: But, except, however. Neuter plural of allos; properly, other things, i.e. contrariwise.

go,
ὑπάγετε (hypagete)
Strong's 5217: To go away, depart, begone, die. From hupo and ago; to lead under, i.e. Withdraw or retire, literally or figuratively.

tell
εἴπατε (eipate)

His
αὐτοῦ (autou)

disciples
μαθηταῖς (mathētais)

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

Peter,
Πέτρῳ (Petrō)
Noun - Dative Masculine Singular
Strong's 4074: Peter, a Greek name meaning rock. Apparently a primary word; a rock; as a name, Petrus, an apostle.

‘He is going ahead of
Προάγει (Proagei)
Strong's 4254: From pro and ago; to lead forward; intransitively, to precede (participle, previous).

you
ὑμᾶς (hymas)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative 2nd Person Plural

into
εἰς (eis)
Preposition

Galilee.
Γαλιλαίαν (Galilaian)

There
ἐκεῖ (ekei)
Adverb
Strong's 1563: (a) there, yonder, in that place, (b) thither, there. Of uncertain affinity; there; by extension, thither.

you will see
ὄψεσθε (opsesthe)
Verb - Future Indicative Middle - 2nd Person Plural

Him,
αὐτὸν (auton)

just as
καθὼς (kathōs)
Adverb
Strong's 2531: According to the manner in which, in the degree that, just as, as. From kata and hos; just as, that.

He told
εἶπεν (eipen)

you.’”
ὑμῖν (hymin)

Mark 16:8

So
Καὶ (Kai)
Conjunction

they left
ἐξελθοῦσαι (exelthousai)
Strong's 1831: To go out, come out. From ek and erchomai; to issue.

the
τοῦ (tou)

tomb
μνημείου (mnēmeiou)

and ran away,
ἔφυγον (ephygon)
Strong's 5343: To flee, escape, shun. Apparently a primary verb; to run away; by implication, to shun; by analogy, to vanish.

overwhelmed
εἶχεν (eichen)
Verb - Imperfect Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 2192: To have, hold, possess. Including an alternate form scheo skheh'-o; a primary verb; to hold.

with shock
τρόμος (tromos)
Strong's 5156: A trembling, quaking, fear. From tremo; a 'trembling', i.e. Quaking with fear.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

amazement.
ἔκστασις (ekstasis)
Strong's 1611: From existemi; a displacement of the mind, i.e. Bewilderment, 'ecstasy'.

And
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

in their fear
ἐφοβοῦντο (ephobounto)
Verb - Imperfect Indicative Middle or Passive - 3rd Person Plural

they did not say
εἶπαν (eipan)

[a word to anyone].
οὐδενὶ (oudeni)
Adjective - Dative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3762: No one, none, nothing.

Mark 16:9

After [Jesus] had risen,
Ἀναστὰς (Anastas)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 450: To raise up, set up; I rise from among (the) dead; I arise, appear. From ana and histemi; to stand up.

early
πρωῒ (prōi)
Adverb
Strong's 4404: Early in the morning, at dawn. Adverb from pro; at dawn; by implication, the day-break watch.

[on the] first [day]
πρώτῃ (prōtē)
Adjective - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's 4413: First, before, principal, most important. Contracted superlative of pro; foremost.

of the week,
σαββάτου (sabbatou)

He appeared
ἐφάνη (ephanē)
Strong's 5316: Prolongation for the base of phos; to lighten, i.e. Show.

first
πρῶτον (prōton)
Adverb - Superlative
Strong's 4412: First, in the first place, before, formerly. Neuter of protos as adverb; firstly.

to Mary
Μαρίᾳ (Maria)
Noun - Dative Feminine Singular

Magdalene,
Μαγδαληνῇ (Magdalēnē)
Noun - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's 3094: Magdalene, a woman of Magdala. Feminine of a derivative of Magdala; a female Magdalene, i.e. Inhabitant of Magdala.

from
παρ’ (par’)
Preposition
Strong's 3844: Gen: from; dat: beside, in the presence of; acc: alongside of.

whom
ἧς (hēs)
Personal / Relative Pronoun - Genitive Feminine Singular
Strong's 3739: Who, which, what, that.

He had driven out
ἐκβεβλήκει (ekbeblēkei)
Verb - Pluperfect Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1544: To throw (cast, put) out; I banish; I bring forth, produce. From ek and ballo; to eject.

seven
ἑπτὰ (hepta)
Strong's 2033: Seven. A primary number; seven.

demons.
δαιμόνια (daimonia)
Strong's 1140: An evil-spirit, demon; a heathen deity. Neuter of a derivative of daimon; a d?Monic being; by extension a deity.

Back