• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

What is the Bible about?

FAITH WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD!
3)

• develops (katergazetai)

https://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicons/greek/kjv/katergazomai.html

Verb
  1. to perform, accomplish, achieve
  2. to work out i.e. to do that from which something results
    1. of things: bring about, result in
  3. to fashion i.e. render one fit for a thing

• Action!

• Efforts to obtain results!

• Being active!

• And certainly not passive!

• We need to do our part!

4)

• perseverance (hypomonen)!

What does the Greek word Hupomeno mean?
from hupó = under, as in under the rule of someone + méno = to abide or remain) - literally to remain under, but not simply with resignation, but with a vibrant hope. The idea of enduring is not just to "grin and bear it" but to remain under trials in such a way that we glorify God.

HUPOMENO - the surrendered life

What is the Greek root word for endurance?
Some time ago, I was quite struck by how often I came across the Greek word translated “endurance” (hupomone) in the New Testament.

Hebrew and Greek Word Studies, Part Three: Endurance

Some time ago, I was quite struck by how often I came across the Greek word translated “endurance” (hupomone) in the New Testament.

Over and over again, it appeared in verses that are vital to the growth of the Christian — areas in the New Testament like the discussion of trials and the importance of rejoicing in the midst of them — so that our endurance can grow (James 1:3-4, 12).

Hupomone is critical enough to the maturing of the disciple of Jesus that Paul prayed regularly for it in the lives of the Colossians (Col. 1:9-12).

The godly quality that hupomone brings is strongly linked to our ability to walk by faith — despite adverse circumstances and the often long waiting for God to come through for us (e.g. Heb. 10:36; cf. the broader context of Heb. 10:35-11:1, 6).

Because of this importance, I did a word study on hupomone and have committed it to memory, because when I see the word, I want to meditate on its meaning and prayerfully apply it to my life.

This word involves a patient endurance; it means to stand firm; to bear up under; to patiently wait in hope. It derives from faith and hope (Rom. 8:25).

Hupomone is never a complaining or despondent endurance! In fact, in ancient Greek culture, it was used of that which came upon man against his will and later, it was that quality which enabled a man to die for his god.

So when I come across it while reading the New Testament (cf. also Rom. 15:4-5; 2 Cor. 1:6; 6:4; 1 Thess. 1:3), I try to pause and prayerfully consider the depth of meaning of this word and ask God to help me to develop it.

• To remain under, but not simply with resignation, but with a vibrant hope!

• Over and over again, it appeared in verses that are vital to the growth of the Christian!

• Critical enough to the maturing of the disciple of Jesus!

• Is strongly linked to our ability to walk by faith!

• A patient endurance; it means to stand firm; to bear up under; to patiently wait in hope!

• It was used of that which came upon man against his will and later, it was that quality which enabled a man to die for his god!
  • COMPLETELY POSITIVE!

• STAND FIRM!

• AN INVITATION TO ACTION!

• TO DEMONSTRATE OUR FAITH!

5)

• THE WAY TO MATURITY AND COMPLETENESS!

• WHICH MEANS HARD WORK!

• MATURE (teleioi)

https://undergradresearch.northwestern.edu/2018/08/08/teleios/

Focus on it. Teleios, as commonly translated, means “perfect,” thereby putting this line from Jesus’ antitheses in Matthew 5 as “Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect” (Mt 5:48) However, this translation is surely less than perfect as the original Greek teleois has a much different connotation of wholeness and completeness that happens at something’s end. Just as God, the Father, is whole, free from the pain and anxiety of fragmentation, and perfectly put together, Jesus inspires his disciples to live their lives with this air of completeness, as if they had already reached their final destination. One can see echoes of this important biblical word in modern genetics, with telomeres. When chromosomes are translated or replicated they inevitably will lose part of each end of the strand. In order to prevent coding DNA from being lost in this process telomeres, or noncoding end DNA, is put on either side of a strand in order to preserve the genetic material that keeps us healthy and alive. As telomeres get depleted or weak, cellular destruction results from the degrading DNA, and thus we see bodies undergo the slow process of aging and decay. Just as biological vocabulary and Matthew 5 suggests, we understand some direction, some objective, some ending perfect place for us, be that death, with God, etc. From this idea comes the word telos, used both by ancient and contemporary authors to mean the life goal of a being, the perfect place at the end of their trajectory.

After a month’s worth of excavating the female bodies of ancient Greece and Rome, I would wish to culminate this phase of the research looking at the ultimate medical goal, the telos of the ancient Mediterranean female. After so much degradation of femininity and validating female oppression, both physically and socially, there must be some overall objective in mind of these physicians. Today, we will look at the goals that ancient gynecologists have set for the female body – the methods by which Hippocrates, Aristotle, Soranos, Galen, etc. have informed womanhood to redeem themselves from repugnance, instability, and uselessness that was ancient Mediterranean femininity.

To better our understanding of the feminine telos, we will first approach the outlined goals of the male body. In his innate state, the ancient Mediterranean male body was hot, dry, compact, and full of potential to reach great degrees of athleticism and physical perfection. To be masculine was to be penetrative, in all physical, emotional, and societal senses, and impenetrable; Galen outlines the inverse relation of masculine and feminine reproductive organs, thereby implying that male-initiated intercourse acted to complete a part of the female body that was missing. This transcended its anatomical dimension, and – as Deut. 22 suggests – the phallus begins to adopt an aggressive attitude, to the objective of both physically and emotionally breaking women. With a woman’s eruptive, animalistic, and primitive body expressing her uncontrollable and hypersexual spirit, there emerged an urgency for ancient Mediterranean men to tame and cure their female counterparts via penetration and, hopefully, impregnation. This leads to an interesting masculine telos, when considering Aristotle’s one-seed model (See “One-Sex” Model), in which societal responsibility is assigned to men to procreate to maintain a sense of earthly and cosmological order. Moreover, part of being a man, if not the main objective of manhood, was to generate life. This telos exposes a new characterization of ancient masculinity: immortality. The God of Genesis creates “man in His image” from the earth, and therefore the subsequent generation of man from Adam serves as a physical immortalization of God’s image, if we consider human women as the metaphoric earth that nourishes the regenerative image of the man that impregnated her. The female body, therefore, is an ephemeral tool, an unfortunate necessity to the masculine cycle of life that keeps alive the eternal, earthly image of God, the physical reminder of what we looked like in paradise.

Very rarely will a male gynecologist of ancient Greece or Rome describe the ways in which a female can fulfill her earthly purpose; rather, we must ascertain her societal expectation through the cracks of her broken body image. Considering imagery of the wandering womb and other animalistic characterizations of the female body (See The Wandering Womb, Broken and Barking Bitches,and Little Lamb, who made thee?), women were expected to suppressed their (supposedly) inherent desires of reckless sexuality and evanescence. With this, virginity develops into a valued characteristic of the female body, as it implies “rational” self-control, pristine female anatomy, and pure flesh for gestation of the male seed. With its not-yet-penetrated status, physical perfection, rationality, and dryness, the pre-menarcheal, virginal female becomes greatly characterized as a masculine entity. However, with the evolutionary need to produce the next generation, and the unspoken male need to fulfill his sexual desires, keeping females in a perpetual virginal state would not be pragmatic; similarly, as virginal women experience menarche, their bodies no longer reflect the dry and compacted perfection of masculinity, and thus the womb becomes a threat to the female body and the order of the cosmos. This constructs a maternal telos to the female body, in which conception and childbearing becomes means of redeeming the post-menarcheal, dangerous physical state. The supposed taming of the wandering womb that comes from the moistening of insemination and the anchoring of gestation reflects a pregnant woman’s difficultly in running away and further engaging in promiscuous sexual behavior. This image of the weakened, immobilized pregnant female body surely no longer bears the masculine characterizations of the virginal female body, but rather serves as a model by which women can best perform their femininity, as passive tools of masculine domination.

• Perfect!
  • Connotation of wholeness and completeness
  • Jesus inspires his disciples to live their lives with this air of completeness, as if they had already reached their final destination.
  • In connection with telomeres or noncoding end DNA is put on either side of a strand in order to preserve the genetic material that keeps us healthy and alive!
  • Just as biological vocabulary and Matthew 5 suggests, we understand some direction, some objective, some ending perfect place for us, be that death, with God, etc. From this idea comes the word telos, used both by ancient and contemporary authors to mean the life goal of a being, the perfect place at the end of their trajectory!

• COMPLETE (leipomenoi)

ὁλόκληρος ον, complete, entire, perfect, opp. κολοβός, Arist. HA 585b36 ; uncastrated, κίχλαι Pl.Com. 174.9 ; τοὺς ἱερέας ὁ. νόμος εἶναι Anaxandr. 39.10, cf. Men. 233, Luc. Asin. 33 ; ὁ. ὑγιής τε Pl. Ti. 44c ; σῶμα Diog.Oen. 39 ; ὁ. μὲν… ὄντες καὶ ἀπαθεῖς κακῶν…, ὁ. δὲ… καὶ εὐδαίμονα φάσματα μυούμενοι perfect, complete, Pl. Phdr. 250c ; ὁ. καὶ γνήσιον Id. Lg. 759c ; ἐν ὁ. δέρματι Luc. Philops. 8 ; also of evils, ὁ. πήρωσις Democr. 296 ; [ἡ ἀνελευθερία] οὐ πᾶσιν ὁ. παραγίνεται Arist. EN 1121b19, cf. 1126a12 ; simply, whole, complete, ἔτεσιν δυσὶν οὐχ ὁλοκλήρ[οι]ς IG 14.1386 ; ὁ. βουλευτήριον BGU 1027.12 (iv AD) ; ὁ. οἰκία PLond. 3.930.13, etc. ; ὁ. κολλούρια drug-pencils used as wholes, for
insertion in cavities, Antyll. ap. Orib. 10.23.1. Adv. -ρως Erot. s.v. ἀπαρτί, S.E. P. 3.226, Gal. 16.68, Hld. 7.8.

• We get the same idea here which reinforces the whole idea!

6)

• In James 1:5 we are told to ask God for wisdom if we lack it!

• Solomon asked God for wisdom!

• But he made a bad end!

• Because the beginning of wisdom is the fear of God as Job 28:28 says:

• The fear of the Lord , that is wisdom, and to turn away from evil is understanding!

• And again it requires a lot of work to get it and increase it and keep it!

7)

• James 1:12
  • Persevere (hypomenei)!
  • Stand the test (dokimos)!
  • Receive the crown of life (lēmpsetai)!

• Once again we get a process which leads to the crown of life!
  • But as with any process, we must get through all the steps!

8)

• James 1:15
  • This process is quite different from the one which:
  • Starts with desire! (epithymia)
  • Goes on with sin! (hamartian)
  • And ends with death! (thanaton)

• But the verbs of the process are also interesting for understanding!
  • Has conceived (syllabousa)
  • https://www.billmounce.com/greek-dictionary/syllambano
  • to catch; to seize, apprehend, Mt. 26:55; Acts 1:16; to catch, as prey, Lk. 5:9; to conceive, become pregnant, Lk. 1:24, 31, 36; 2:21; met. Jas. 1:15; mid. to help, aid, assist, Lk. 5:7; Phil. 4:3

• When it is fully grown (apotelestheisa)
  • To complete, accomplish, form fully, perfect, bring to maturity. From apo and teleo; to complete entirely, i.e. Consummate.

• Gives birth to (apokyei)
  • From apo and the base of kuma; to breed forth, i.e. to generate.

• Once again we get a process but which leads to death!
  • But as with any process, it is necessary to get through all the steps!
  • So there is no excuse!

9)

• James 1:25

But
δὲ (de)
Conjunction
Strong's 1161: A primary particle; but, and, etc.

the [one who]
ὁ (ho)
Article - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.

looks intently
παρακύψας (parakypsas)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3879: To stoop, peer in, look down, look intently. From para and kupto; to bend beside, i.e. Lean over.

into
εἰς (eis)
Preposition
Strong's 1519: A primary preposition; to or into, of place, time, or purpose; also in adverbial phrases.

[the] perfect
τέλειον (teleion)
Adjective - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's 5046: From telos; complete; neuter completeness.

law
νόμον (nomon)
Noun - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3551: From a primary nemo; law, genitive case, specially, (including the volume); also of the Gospel), or figuratively.

of freedom,
ἐλευθερίας (eleutherias)
Noun - Genitive Feminine Singular
Strong's 1657: Freedom, liberty, especially: a state of freedom from slavery. From eleutheros; freedom.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction
Strong's 2532: And, even, also, namely.

continues to do so—
παραμείνας (parameinas)
Strong's 3887: To remain by, abide with; met: I persevere in. From para and meno; to stay near, i.e. Remain.

not
οὐκ (ouk)
Adverb
Strong's 3756: No, not. Also ouk, and ouch a primary word; the absolute negative adverb; no or not.

being
γενόμενος (genomenos)
Verb - Aorist Participle Middle - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 1096: A prolongation and middle voice form of a primary verb; to cause to be, i.e. to become, used with great latitude.

a forgetful
ἐπιλησμονῆς (epilēsmonēs)
Noun - Genitive Feminine Singular
Strong's 1953: Forgetfulness, oblivion. From a derivative of epilanthanomai; negligence.

hearer,
ἀκροατὴς (akroatēs)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 202: A hearer of, a listener to. From akroaomai; a hearer.

but
ἀλλὰ (alla)
Conjunction
Strong's 235: But, except, however. Neuter plural of allos; properly, other things, i.e. contrariwise.

an effective
ἔργου (ergou)
Noun - Genitive Neuter Singular
Strong's 2041: From a primary ergo; toil; by implication, an act.

doer—
ποιητὴς (poiētēs)
Strong's 4163: (a) a maker, poet, (b) a doer, carrier out, performer. From poieo; a performer; specially, a 'poet'.

[he]
οὗτος (houtos)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3778: This; he, she, it.

will be
ἔσται (estai)
Verb - Future Indicative Middle - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

blessed
μακάριος (makarios)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3107: Happy, blessed, to be envied. A prolonged form of the poetical makar; supremely blest; by extension, fortunate, well off.

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition
Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

what
τῇ (tē)
Article - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.

he
αὐτοῦ (autou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

does.
ποιήσει (poiēsei)
Noun - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's 4162: A doing, making, performance. From poieo; action, i.e. Performance.

• Yes we must be an effective doer!
  • Effective = From a primary ergo; toil; by implication, an act.
  • A doer = (a) a maker, poet, (b) a doer, carrier out, performer. From poieo; a performer; specially, a 'poet'.
What makes a true performer?
Communication: Effectively conveys ideas to others. Self-direction: Self-starter, someone who initiates new assignments and challenges. Drive: Desire to succeed, goes above and beyond what is asked of them. Adaptability/flexibility: The ability to be flexible in a changing environment, take on new tasks.28 nov 2022

9 Traits of High Performers (And Tips on How To Become One) - Indeed

10)

• James 1:27

Pure
καθαρὰ (kathara)
Adjective - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 2513: Clean.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

undefiled
ἀμίαντος (amiantos)
Strong's 283: Undefiled, untainted, free from contamination. Unsoiled, i.e. pure.

religion
θρησκεία (thrēskeia)
Noun - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 2356: From a derivative of threskos; ceremonial observance.

before
παρὰ (para)
Preposition
Strong's 3844: Gen: from; dat: beside, in the presence of; acc: alongside of.

[our]
τῷ (tō)
Article - Dative Masculine Singular

God
Θεῷ (Theō)
Noun - Dative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2316: A deity, especially the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

Father
Πατρὶ (Patri)
Strong's 3962: Father, (Heavenly) Father, ancestor, elder, senior. Apparently a primary word; a 'father'.

is
ἐστίν (estin)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

this:
αὕτη (hautē)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Nominative Feminine Singular

to care for
ἐπισκέπτεσθαι (episkeptesthai)
Verb - Present Infinitive Middle or Passive
Strong's 1980: To look upon, visit, look out, select.

orphans
ὀρφανοὺς (orphanous)
Adjective - Accusative Masculine Plural
Strong's 3737: Bereaved, an orphan, fatherless, desolate. Of uncertain affinity; bereaved, i.e. Parentless.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

widows
χήρας (chēras)
Noun - Accusative Feminine Plural
Strong's 5503: Feminine of a presumed derivative apparently from the base of chasma through the idea of deficiency; a widow, literally or figuratively.

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition
Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

their
αὐτῶν (autōn)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

distress,
θλίψει (thlipsei)
Strong's 2347: Persecution, affliction, distress, tribulation. From thlibo; pressure.

[and] to keep
τηρεῖν (tērein)
Verb - Present Infinitive Active
Strong's 5083: From teros; to guard, i.e. To note; by implication, to detain; by extension, to withhold; by extension, to withhold.

oneself
ἑαυτὸν (heauton)
Reflexive Pronoun - Accusative Masculine 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1438: Himself, herself, itself.

from being polluted
ἄσπιλον (aspilon)
Strong's 784: Unstained, undefiled, spotless, pure. Unblemished.

by
ἀπὸ (apo)
Preposition
Strong's 575: From, away from. A primary particle; 'off, ' i.e. Away, in various senses.

the
τοῦ (tou)
Article - Genitive Masculine Singular

world.
κόσμου (kosmou)
Noun - Genitive Masculine Singular
Strong's 2889: Probably from the base of komizo; orderly arrangement, i.e. Decoration; by implication, the world (morally).

• Yes we must keep ourselves from being polluted by the world!
  • And we come back to the beginning of the chapter and the process of testing our faith!
  • And The idea of fire revealing pure metal and burning off impurities!
  • In fact, we have come full circle!

11)

• As we have seen, faith is one element of a process which must lead us to maturity and completeness!

• We must keep growing!

• We must tend to purity like pure metal!

• Get rid of our impurities!

• A vow to faithful relationship as the truer understanding of the word!

• And it requires a lot of effort!

• Faithfulness truly is the better understanding and meaning for the word!

• It implies following Jesus!

• And act like Jesus!

• And become a true performer of the word like him!

• James 2:14

What
Τί (Ti)
Interrogative / Indefinite Pronoun - Nominative Neuter Singular
Strong's 5101: Who, which, what, why. Probably emphatic of tis; an interrogative pronoun, who, which or what.

good [is it],
ὄφελος (ophelos)
Noun - Nominative Neuter Singular
Strong's 3786: Advantage, gain, profit, help. From ophello; gain.

my
μου (mou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive 1st Person Singular
Strong's 1473: I, the first-person pronoun. A primary pronoun of the first person I.

brothers,
ἀδελφοί (adelphoi)
Noun - Vocative Masculine Plural
Strong's 80: A brother, member of the same religious community, especially a fellow-Christian. A brother near or remote.

if
ἐὰν (ean)
Conjunction
Strong's 1437: If. From ei and an; a conditional particle; in case that, provided, etc.

someone
τις (tis)
Interrogative / Indefinite Pronoun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 5100: Any one, some one, a certain one or thing. An enclitic indefinite pronoun; some or any person or object.

claims
λέγῃ (legē)
Verb - Present Subjunctive Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 3004: (a) I say, speak; I mean, mention, tell, (b) I call, name, especially in the pass., (c) I tell, command.

to have
ἔχειν (echein)
Verb - Present Infinitive Active
Strong's 2192: To have, hold, possess. Including an alternate form scheo skheh'-o; a primary verb; to hold.

faith,
πίστιν (pistin)
Noun - Accusative Feminine Singular
Strong's 4102: Faith, belief, trust, confidence; fidelity, faithfulness.

but
δὲ (de)
Conjunction

has
ἔχῃ (echē)
Strong's 2192: To have, hold, possess. Including an alternate form scheo skheh'-o; a primary verb; to hold.

no
μὴ (mē)
Adverb
Strong's 3361: Not, lest. A primary particle of qualified negation; not, lest; also (whereas ou expects an affirmative one) whether.

deeds?
ἔργα (erga)
Noun - Accusative Neuter Plural

Can
δύναται (dynatai)
Verb - Present Indicative Middle or Passive - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1410: (a) I am powerful, have (the) power, (b) I am able, I can. Of uncertain affinity; to be able or possible.

such
ἡ (hē)
Article - Nominative Feminine Singular

faith
πίστις (pistis)

save
σῶσαι (sōsai)
Verb - Aorist Infinitive Active
Strong's 4982: To save, heal, preserve, rescue. From a primary sos; to save, i.e. Deliver or protect.

him?
αὐτόν (auton)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative Masculine 3rd Person Singular

• Do we understand James’ question?

• CAN SUCH FAITH SAVE US?

• Or save, heal, preserve, rescue, deliver or protect us?

• What saved Lot and his daughters?

• ACTION ACCORDING TO WHAT THEY WERE TOLD!

• What saved the disciples from the destruction of Jerusalem!
  • ACTION ACCORDING TO WHAT THEY WERE TOLD!

• So in the beginning of Chapter 2, James speaks against favoritism!

• So what?

• FAITH WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD!

• And Jesus showed us the way!

• WHAT KIND OF FAITH DO WE HAVE?

• BECAUSE IF WE HAVE FAITH THE SIZE OF A MUSTARD SEED, NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE (Matthew 17:20)!

• THE MUSTARD SEED GROWS INTO THE LARGEST OF GARDEN PLANTS AND BECOMES A TREE (Matthew 13:32)!

• WILL OUR MUSTARD SEED STAY A SEED OR BECOME A TREE?

12) FAITH WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD!

James 2:17

So
οὕτως (houtōs)
Adverb
Strong's 3779: Thus, so, in this manner. Or (referring to what precedes or follows).

too,
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

faith
πίστις (pistis)

by
καθ’ (kath’)
Preposition
Strong's 2596: A primary particle; down, in varied relations (genitive, dative or accusative) with which it is joined).

itself,
ἑαυτήν (heautēn)
Reflexive Pronoun - Accusative Feminine 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1438: Himself, herself, itself.

if
ἐὰν (ean)
Conjunction
Strong's 1437: If. From ei and an; a conditional particle; in case that, provided, etc.

it is not complemented
ἔχῃ (echē)

by action,
ἔργα (erga)
Noun - Accusative Neuter Plural

is
ἐστιν (estin)

dead.
νεκρά (nekra)
Strong's 3498: (a) adj: dead, lifeless, subject to death, mortal, (b) noun: a dead body, a corpse. From an apparently primary nekus; dead.

• James gives an example!
  • And then he uses it to compare it (so too) with faith and action!
  • Here it is translated by faith complemented (= add to or make complete) by action!
  • HOW POWERFUL IT IS!
  • If not it is dead!

14) Cold or Hot Anger?

• In Exodus 20:5

You shall not
לֹֽא־ (lō-)
Adverb - Negative particle
Strong's 3808: Not, no

bow down
תִשְׁתַּחְוֶ֥֣ה‪‬ (ṯiš·taḥ·weh)
Verb - Hitpael - Imperfect - second person masculine singular
Strong's 7812: To depress, prostrate

to them
לָהֶ֖ם֮ (lā·hem)
Preposition | third person masculine plural
Strong's Hebrew

or
וְלֹ֣א (wə·lō)
Conjunctive waw | Adverb - Negative particle

worship them;
תָעָבְדֵ֑ם֒ (ṯā·‘ā·ḇə·ḏêm)
Verb - Hofal - Imperfect - second person masculine singular | third person masculine plural
Strong's 5647: To work, to serve, till, enslave

for
כִּ֣י (kî)
Conjunction
Strong's 3588: A relative conjunction

I,
אָֽנֹכִ֞י (’ā·nō·ḵî)
Pronoun - first person common singular
Strong's 595: I

the LORD
יְהוָ֤ה (Yah·weh)
Noun - proper - masculine singular
Strong's 3068: LORD -- the proper name of the God of Israel

your God,
אֱלֹהֶ֙יךָ֙ (’ĕ·lō·he·ḵā)
Noun - masculine plural construct | second person masculine singular
Strong's 430: gods -- the supreme God, magistrates, a superlative

am a jealous
קַנָּ֔א (qan·nā)
Adjective - masculine singular
Strong's 7067: Jealous

God,
אֵ֣ל (’êl)
Noun - masculine singular
Strong's 410: Strength -- as adjective, mighty, the Almighty

visiting
פֹּ֠קֵד (pō·qêḏ)
Verb - Qal - Participle - masculine singular
Strong's 6485: To visit, to oversee, muster, charge, care for, miss, deposit

the iniquity
עֲוֺ֨ן (‘ă·wōn)
Noun - common singular construct
Strong's 5771: Iniquity, guilt, punishment for iniquity

of the fathers
אָבֹ֧ת (’ā·ḇōṯ)
Noun - masculine plural
Strong's 1: Father

on
עַל־ (‘al-)
Preposition
Strong's 5921: Above, over, upon, against

[their] children
בָּנִ֛ים (bā·nîm)
Noun - masculine plural
Strong's 1121: A son

to
עַל־ (‘al-)
Preposition
Strong's 5921: Above, over, upon, against

the third
שִׁלֵּשִׁ֥ים (šil·lê·šîm)
Noun - masculine plural
Strong's 8029: Pertaining to the third

and fourth [generations]
רִבֵּעִ֖ים (rib·bê·‘îm)
Noun - masculine plural
Strong's 7256: Pertaining to the fourth

of those who hate Me,
לְשֹׂנְאָֽ֑י׃ (lə·śō·nə·’āy)
Preposition-l | Verb - Qal - Participle - masculine plural construct | first person common singular
Strong's 8130: To hate

• The translation s usually use the word jealous

In the Bible, the human qannā (אנק) expresses a negative, self-destructive trait of character mainly related to envy and jealousy. In contrast, the divine qannā points to an essential attribute of YHWH, which relates both to divine holiness and to a fiery mode of action frequently imaged by volcanism.

https://www.jstor.org/stable/10.15699/jbl.1342.2015.281

• Maybe the word exclusive is a better one!
  • We can’t worship God and other gods at the same time!
  • We can’t worship God as we want but as he wants!
  • Otherwise there is a price to pay!
  • There is no anger at all!
  • It is God’s balance!
  • As he made the whole universe, he can decide what he wants!
  • If a father goes against God, then his descendants will have to pay for that!

15) Cold or Hot Anger?

• In Exodus 20:7

You {shall} not
לֹ֥א (lō)

take
תִשָּׂ֛א (ṯiś·śā)
Verb - Qal - Imperfect - second person masculine singular
Strong's 5375: To lift, carry, take

the name
שֵֽׁם־ (šêm-)
Noun - masculine singular construct
Strong's 8034: A name

of the LORD
יְהוָ֥ה (Yah·weh)

your God
אֱלֹהֶ֖יךָ (’ĕ·lō·he·ḵā)
Noun - masculine plural construct | second person masculine singular
Strong's 430: gods -- the supreme God, magistrates, a superlative

in vain,
לַשָּׁ֑וְא (laš·šāw)
Preposition-l, Article | Noun - masculine singular
Strong's 7723: Evil, idolatry, uselessness

for
כִּ֣י (kî)
Conjunction
Strong's 3588: A relative conjunction

the LORD
יְהוָ֔ה (Yah·weh)

will not
לֹ֤א (lō)

leave anyone unpunished
יְנַקֶּה֙ (yə·naq·qeh)
Verb - Piel - Imperfect - third person masculine singular
Strong's 5352: To be, clean, to be bare, extirpated

who
אֲשֶׁר־ (’ă·šer-)
Pronoun - relative
Strong's 834: Who, which, what, that, when, where, how, because, in order that

takes
יִשָּׂ֥א (yiś·śā)
Verb - Qal - Imperfect - third person masculine singular
Strong's 5375: To lift, carry, take

His name
שְׁמ֖וֹ (šə·mōw)
Noun - masculine singular construct | third person masculine singular
Strong's 8034: A name

in vain.
לַשָּֽׁוְא׃ (laš·šāw)
Preposition-l, Article | Noun - masculine singular
Strong's 7723: Evil, idolatry, uselessness

• We mustn’t take God’s name in vain if we don’t want to be punished!
  • The Jews used this verse to eradicate it!
  • But by doing it they take God’s name in vain!
  • The translators did the same!
  • And the religious leaders too!
  • They take God’s name in vain!
  • Don’t you think they are going to be punished for that!
  • What about us?
  • God has a name forever from generation to generation!
  • And using Lord instead is to take his name in vain!
  • For God, his name is essential!
  • When people don’t use it, it’s a total lack of disrespect!
  • That’s an infamy!

13) FAITH WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD!

• Now let’s have a look at James 2:20

O
ὦ (ō)
Interjection
Strong's 5599: A primary interjection; as a sign of the vocative case, O; as a note of exclamation, oh.

foolish
κενέ (kene)
Adjective - Vocative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2756: Apparently a primary word; empty.

man,
ἄνθρωπε (anthrōpe)
Noun - Vocative Masculine Singular
Strong's 444: A man, one of the human race. From aner and ops; man-faced, i.e. A human being.

do you want
Θέλεις (Theleis)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 2309: To will, wish, desire, be willing, intend, design.

evidence
γνῶναι (gnōnai)
Verb - Aorist Infinitive Active
Strong's 1097: A prolonged form of a primary verb; to 'know' in a great variety of applications and with many implications.

that
ὅτι (hoti)
Conjunction
Strong's 3754: Neuter of hostis as conjunction; demonstrative, that; causative, because.

faith
πίστις (pistis)

without
χωρὶς (chōris)
Preposition
Strong's 5565: Apart from, separately from; without. Adverb from chora; at a space, i.e. Separately or apart from.

deeds
ἔργων (ergōn)
Noun - Genitive Neuter Plural

is
ἐστιν (estin)

worthless?
ἀργή (argē)
Strong's 692: Idle, lazy, thoughtless, unprofitable, injurious. (by implication) lazy, useless.

• What about the adjective worthless (ἀργή):
  • Idle, lazy, thoughtless, unprofitable, injurious. (by implication) lazy, useless.
  • Not bad too!

James 2:21
{Was} not
οὐκ (ouk)
Adverb
Strong's 3756: No, not. Also ouk, and ouch a primary word; the absolute negative adverb; no or not.

our
ἡμῶν (hēmōn)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive 1st Person Plural
Strong's 1473: I, the first-person pronoun. A primary pronoun of the first person I.

father
πατὴρ (patēr)
Strong's 3962: Father, (Heavenly) Father, ancestor, elder, senior. Apparently a primary word; a 'father'.

Abraham
Ἀβραὰμ (Abraam)
Strong's 11: Abraham, progenitor of the Hebrew race. Of Hebrew origin; Abraham, the Hebrew patriarch.

justified
ἐδικαιώθη (edikaiōthē)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Passive - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1344: From dikaios; to render just or innocent.

by
ἐξ (ex)
Preposition
Strong's 1537: From out, out from among, from, suggesting from the interior outwards. A primary preposition denoting origin, from, out.

what he did
ἔργων (ergōn)

when he offered
ἀνενέγκας (anenenkas)
Strong's 399: From ana and phero; to take up.

his
αὐτοῦ (autou)

son
υἱὸν (huion)
Strong's 5207: A son, descendent. Apparently a primary word; a 'son', used very widely of immediate, remote or figuratively, kinship.

Isaac
Ἰσαὰκ (Isaak)
Strong's 2464: (Hebrew), Isaac, the patriarch. Of Hebrew origin; Isaac, the son of Abraham.

on
ἐπὶ (epi)
Preposition
Strong's 1909: On, to, against, on the basis of, at.

the
τὸ (to)
Article - Accusative Neuter Singular

altar?
θυσιαστήριον (thysiastērion)
Noun - Accusative Neuter Singular
Strong's 2379: An altar (for sacrifice). From a derivative of thusia; a place of sacrifice, i.e. An altar.

• Here James uses a quite good example explaining why faith without works is dead!
  • And it is true in any case!
  • It has nothing to do with favoritism!
  • Was not Abraham justified by what he did when he offered his son Isaac on the altar?
  • And he was called God’s friend because he put his faith in God and he demonstrated it like Job!
  • At the difference of his descendants!

• And James 2:22 is clear about that and about what he meant!

You see
βλέπεις (blepeis)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 991: (primarily physical), I look, see, perceive, discern. A primary verb; to look at.

that
ὅτι (hoti)
Conjunction
Strong's 3754: Neuter of hostis as conjunction; demonstrative, that; causative, because.

[his]
ἡ (hē)

faith
πίστις (pistis)

was working with
συνήργει (synērgei)
Verb - Imperfect Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 4903: To cooperate with, work together. From sunergos; to be a fellow-worker, i.e. Co-operate.

his
αὐτοῦ (autou)

actions,
ἔργοις (ergois)
Noun - Dative Neuter Plural

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

[his]
ἡ (hē)

faith
πίστις (pistis)

was perfected
ἐτελειώθη (eteleiōthē)
Strong's 5048: From teleios; to complete, i.e. accomplish, or consummate.

by
ἐκ (ek)
Preposition
Strong's 1537: From out, out from among, from, suggesting from the interior outwards. A primary preposition denoting origin, from, out.

what
τῶν (tōn)
Article - Genitive Neuter Plural

he did.
ἔργων (ergōn)

• James 2:23

And
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

the
ἡ (hē)

Scripture
γραφὴ (graphē)
Strong's 1124: (a) a writing, (b) a passage of scripture; plur: the scriptures. A document, i.e. Holy Writ.

was fulfilled
ἐπληρώθη (eplērōthē)
Strong's 4137: From pleres; to make replete, i.e. to cram, level up, or to furnish, satisfy, execute, finish, verify, etc.

that
ἡ (hē)

says,
λέγουσα (legousa)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 3004: (a) I say, speak; I mean, mention, tell, (b) I call, name, especially in the pass., (c) I tell, command.

“Abraham
Ἀβραὰμ (Abraam)
Strong's 11: Abraham, progenitor of the Hebrew race. Of Hebrew origin; Abraham, the Hebrew patriarch.

believed
Ἐπίστευσεν (Episteusen)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 4100: From pistis; to have faith, i.e. Credit; by implication, to entrust.

God,
Θεῷ (Theō)
Strong's 2316: A deity, especially the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

it was credited
ἐλογίσθη (elogisthē)
Strong's 3049: To reckon, count, charge with; reason, decide, conclude; think, suppose.

to him
αὐτῷ (autō)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative Masculine 3rd Person Singular

as
εἰς (eis)
Preposition
Strong's 1519: A primary preposition; to or into, of place, time, or purpose; also in adverbial phrases.

righteousness,”
δικαιοσύνην (dikaiosynēn)
Noun - Accusative Feminine Singular
Strong's 1343: From dikaios; equity; specially justification.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

he was called
ἐκλήθη (eklēthē)
Strong's 2564: (a) I call, summon, invite, (b) I call, name. Akin to the base of keleuo; to 'call'.

a friend
φίλος (philos)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 5384: Friendly; subst: a friend, an associate. Properly, dear, i.e. A friend; actively, fond, i.e. Friendly.

of God.
Θεοῦ (Theou)
Noun - Genitive Masculine Singular

• Yes Abraham was called God’s friend because he believed in him and he acted accordingly!
  • Thus he demonstrated his faith by his works!

• James 2:25 speaking about Rahab says the same, she was saved because she believed and she saved the spies!

In the same way,
Ὁμοίως (Homoiōs)
Adverb
Strong's 3668: In like manner, similarly, in the same way, equally. Adverb from homoios; similarly.

{was} not
οὐκ (ouk)
Adverb

even
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

Rahab
Ῥαὰβ (Rhaab)
Strong's 4460: Rahab, a Canaanitess, who rescued the Hebrew spies at Jericho. Of Hebrew origin; Raab, a Canaanitess.

the
ἡ (hē)

prostitute
πόρνη (pornē)
Strong's 4204: A prostitute; met: an idolatrous community. Feminine of pornos; a strumpet; figuratively, an idolater.

justified
ἐδικαιώθη (edikaiōthē)
Strong's 1344: From dikaios; to render just or innocent.

by
ἐξ (ex)
Preposition

her actions
ἔργων (ergōn)

when she welcomed
ὑποδεξαμένη (hypodexamenē)
Verb - Aorist Participle Middle - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 5264: From hupo and dechomai; to admit under one's roof, i.e. Entertain hospitably.

the
τοὺς (tous)
Article - Accusative Masculine Plural

messengers
ἀγγέλους (angelous)
Noun - Accusative Masculine Plural
Strong's 32: From aggello; a messenger; especially an 'angel'; by implication, a pastor.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

sent [them] off
ἐκβαλοῦσα (ekbalousa)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 1544: To throw (cast, put) out; I banish; I bring forth, produce. From ek and ballo; to eject.

on another
ἑτέρᾳ (hetera)
Adjective - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's 2087: (a) of two: another, a second, (b) other, different, (c) one's neighbor. Of uncertain affinity; other or different.

route?
ὁδῷ (hodō)
Strong's 3598: A way, road, journey, path. Apparently a primary word; a road; by implication, a progress; figuratively, a mode or means.

• And the best for the end!

• James 2:26

As
ὥσπερ (hōsper)
Adverb
Strong's 5618: Just as, as, even as. From hos and per; just as, i.e. Exactly like.

the
τὸ (to)
Article - Nominative Neuter Singular

body
σῶμα (sōma)
Noun - Nominative Neuter Singular
Strong's 4983: Body, flesh; the body of the Church. From sozo; the body, used in a very wide application, literally or figuratively.

without
χωρὶς (chōris)
Preposition
Strong's 5565: Apart from, separately from; without. Adverb from chora; at a space, i.e. Separately or apart from.

[the] spirit
πνεύματος (pneumatos)
Noun - Genitive Neuter Singular
Strong's 4151: Wind, breath, spirit.

is
ἐστιν (estin)

dead,
νεκρόν (nekron)
Adjective - Nominative Neuter Singular
Strong's 3498: (a) adj: dead, lifeless, subject to death, mortal, (b) noun: a dead body, a corpse. From an apparently primary nekus; dead.

so
οὕτως (houtōs)
Adverb
Strong's 3779: Thus, so, in this manner. Or (referring to what precedes or follows).

faith
πίστις (pistis)

without
χωρὶς (chōris)
Preposition

deeds
ἔργων (ergōn)

is
ἐστιν (estin)

dead.
νεκρά (nekra)

• At the beginning God told Adam and Eve not to eat from the tree of good and evil otherwise they would die!
  • The devil told them they wouldn’t!
  • What happened?
  • They died!
  • Thus from the beginning to the end, it will always be the same!
  • There will always be two ways to read and understand and apply the Bible!
  • One way for a majority (indefinite article) and one way for a minority (indefinite article)!
  • One way through the eyes of corruption of man’s tradition and one way through accurate knowledge!
  • It happened to Israel!
  • It happened to Judah!
  • It happened to Jerusalem!
  • It will happen to mankind!
  • It is always a question of life or death!
  • When I started publishing on the internet, I started to study the book of Job!
  • And I had many discussions!
  • And I also read many commentaries from specialists!
  • And they usually made the same mistake!
  • They would analyze the book of Job with modern eyes not as it was in Job’s time!
  • The problem is that Job had only one reference:God!
  • Thus he could only think about what was happening to him because of God!
  • And on one occasion he says, if it's not God, who is it?
  • Faith without works is dead is another good example!
  • For some, James was rebuking the church trying to get out of helping the poor by applying faith in God to provide for the poor or the church disrespecting the poor
or partiality!
  • But in fact, he was speaking of CORRUPTION which was spreading like a pandemia through the Christians like a fast-speed train!
  • When Jesus was on earth teaching his disciples and people, they used to share everything together!
  • Food, clothes, housing, teaching, preaching work, everything WITHOUT EXCEPTION!
  • When Jesus died, the apostles tried to do the same, but all at once, the newcomers changed everything thus they turned God’s word into man’s tradition!
  • Like in the case of Job it became an issue to demonstrate his faith through accurate knowledge!
  • No accurate knowledge, no faith!
  • John 17:3

Now
δέ (de)
Conjunction

this
αὕτη (hautē)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Nominative Feminine Singular

is
ἐστιν (estin)

eternal
αἰώνιος (aiōnios)
Strong's 166: From aion; perpetual.

life,
ζωὴ (zōē)
Strong's 2222: Life, both of physical (present) and of spiritual (particularly future) existence. From zao; life.

that
ἵνα (hina)
Conjunction
Strong's 2443: In order that, so that. Probably from the same as the former part of heautou; in order that.

they may know
γινώσκωσιν (ginōskōsin)
Verb - Present Subjunctive Active - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 1097: A prolonged form of a primary verb; to 'know' in a great variety of applications and with many implications.

You,
σὲ (se)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 4771: You. The person pronoun of the second person singular; thou.

the
τὸν (ton)
Article - Accusative Masculine Singular

only
μόνον (monon)
Strong's 3441: Only, solitary, desolate. Probably from meno; remaining, i.e. Sole or single; by implication, mere.

TRUE
ἀληθινὸν (alēthinon)
Strong's 228: True (lit: made of truth), real, genuine. From alethes; truthful.

God,
Θεὸν (Theon)

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

Jesus
Ἰησοῦν (Iēsoun)
Strong's 2424: Of Hebrew origin; Jesus, the name of our Lord and two other Israelites.

Christ,
Χριστόν (Christon)
Strong's 5547: Anointed One; the Messiah, the Christ. From chrio; Anointed One, i.e. The Messiah, an epithet of Jesus.

whom
ὃν (hon)
Personal / Relative Pronoun - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3739: Who, which, what, that.

You have sent.
ἀπέστειλας (apesteilas)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 649: From apo and stello; set apart, i.e. to send out literally or figuratively.

https://www.billmounce.com/greek-dictionary/ginosko?page=2

Definition:
to know, whether the action be inceptive or complete and settled; to perceive, Mt. 22:18; Mk. 5:29; 8:17; 12:12; Lk. 8:46; to mark, discern, Mt. 25:24; Lk. 19:44; to ascertain by examination, Mk. 6:38; Jn. 7:51; Acts 23:28; to understand, Mk. 4:13; Lk. 18:34; Jn. 12:16; 13:7; Acts 8:30; 1 Cor. 14:7, 9; to acknowledge, Mt. 7:23; 2 Cor. 3:2; to resolve, conclude, Lk. 16:4; Jn. 7:26; 17:8; to be assured, Lk. 21:20; Jn. 6:69; 8:52; 2 Pet. 1:20; to be skilled, to be master of a thing, Mt. 16:3; Acts 21:37; to know carnally, Mt. 1:25; Lk. 1:34; from the Hebrew, to view with favor, 1 Cor. 8:3; Gal. 4:9

https://www.biblestudytools.com/lexicons/greek/kjv/ginosko.html

Ginosko​

ghin-oce'-ko
Verb
  1. to learn to know, come to know, get a knowledge of perceive, feel
    1. to become known
  2. to know, understand, perceive, have knowledge of
    1. to understand
    2. to know
  3. Jewish idiom for sexual intercourse between a man and a woman
  4. to become acquainted with, to know

• FOR THEM, IT WAS CLEAR THAT GOD WAS NUMBER ONE AND JESUS NUMBER TWO!
  • THAT GOD’S NAME WAS THE TETRAGRAM AND NOT JESUS!

Hebrews 11:1 = ASSURANCE / CERTAINTY!

Now

δὲ (de)

Conjunction

faith

πίστις (pistis)

is

Ἔστιν (Estin)

[the] assurance

ὑπόστασις (hypostasis)

Strong's 5287: From a compound of hupo and histemi; a setting under, i.e. concretely, essence, or abstractly, assurance.

of what [we] hope for

ἐλπιζομένων (elpizomenōn)

Verb - Present Participle Middle or Passive - Genitive Neuter Plural

Strong's 1679: To hope, hope for, expect, trust. From elpis; to expect or confide.

[and the] certainty

ἔλεγχος (elenchos)

Strong's 1650: A proof, possibly: a persuasion; reproof. From elegcho; proof, conviction.

of what

πραγμάτων (pragmatōn)

Strong's 4229: A thing done, a deed, action; a matter, an affair. From prasso; a deed; by implication, an affair; by extension, an object.

we do not see.

βλεπομένων (blepomenōn)

Verb - Present Participle Middle or Passive - Genitive Neuter Plural

Strong's 991: (primarily physical), I look, see, perceive, discern. A primary verb; to look at.

Back