• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

What is the Bible about?

Revelation 22:19:
- GOD again!
And
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction
Strong's 2532: And, even, also, namely.
if
ἐάν (ean)
Conjunction
Strong's 1437: If. From ei and an; a conditional particle; in case that, provided, etc.
anyone
τις (tis)
Interrogative / Indefinite Pronoun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 5100: Any one, some one, a certain one or thing. An enclitic indefinite pronoun; some or any person or object.
takes away
ἀφέλῃ (aphelē)
Verb - Aorist Subjunctive Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 851: To take away, smite off. From apo and haireomai; to remove.
from
ἀπὸ (apo)
Preposition
Strong's 575: From, away from. A primary particle; 'off, ' i.e. Away, in various senses.
the
τῶν (tōn)
Article - Genitive Masculine Plural
Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.
words
λόγων (logōn)
Noun - Genitive Masculine Plural
Strong's 3056: From lego; something said; by implication, a topic, also reasoning or motive; by extension, a computation; specially, the Divine Expression.
of this
ταύτης (tautēs)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Genitive Feminine Singular
Strong's 3778: This; he, she, it.
book
βιβλίου (bibliou)
Noun - Genitive Neuter Singular
Strong's 975: A papyrus roll. A diminutive of biblos; a roll.
of prophecy,
προφητείας (prophēteias)
Noun - Genitive Feminine Singular
Strong's 4394: Prophecy, prophesying; the gift of communicating and enforcing revealed truth. From prophetes; prediction.
God
Θεὸς (Theos)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2316: A deity, especially the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very.
will take away
ἀφελεῖ (aphelei)
Verb - Future Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 851: To take away, smite off. From apo and haireomai; to remove.
his
αὐτοῦ (autou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.
μέρος (meros)
Noun - Accusative Neuter Singular
Strong's 3313: A part, portion, share. From an obsolete but more primary form of meiromai; a division or share.
in
ἀπὸ (apo)
Preposition
Strong's 575: From, away from. A primary particle; 'off, ' i.e. Away, in various senses.
the
τοῦ (tou)
Article - Genitive Neuter Singular
Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.
tree
ξύλου (xylou)
Noun - Genitive Neuter Singular
Strong's 3586: From another form of the base of xestes; timber; by implication, a stick, club or tree or other wooden article or substance.
of life
ζωῆς (zōēs)
Strong's 2222: Life, both of physical (present) and of spiritual (particularly future) existence. From zao; life.
and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction
Strong's 2532: And, even, also, namely.
in
ἐκ (ek)
Preposition
Strong's 1537: From out, out from among, from, suggesting from the interior outwards. A primary preposition denoting origin, from, out.
the
τῆς (tēs)
Article - Genitive Feminine Singular
holy
ἁγίας (hagias)
Adjective - Genitive Feminine Singular
Strong's 40: Set apart by (or for) God, holy, sacred. From hagos; sacred.
city,
πόλεως (poleōs)
Strong's 4172: A city, the inhabitants of a city. Probably from the same as polemos, or perhaps from polus; a town.
which [are]
τῶν (tōn)
Article - Genitive Masculine Plural
described
γεγραμμένων (gegrammenōn)
Verb - Perfect Participle Middle or Passive - Genitive Masculine Plural
Strong's 1125: A primary verb; to 'grave', especially to write; figuratively, to describe.
in
ἐν (en)
Preposition
Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.
this
τούτῳ (toutō)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Dative Neuter Singular
book.
βιβλίῳ (bibliō)
Noun - Dative Neuter Singular
Strong's 975: A papyrus roll. A diminutive of biblos; a roll.

Revelation 22:20
- Jesus!
He who
ὁ (ho)
Article - Nominative Masculine Singular
testifies to
μαρτυρῶν (martyrōn)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3140: To witness, bear witness, give evidence, testify, give a good report. From martus; to be a witness, i.e. Testify.
these things
ταῦτα (tauta)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Accusative Neuter Plural
says,
Λέγει (Legei)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 3004: (a) I say, speak; I mean, mention, tell, (b) I call, name, especially in the pass., (c) I tell, command.
“Yes,
Ναί (Nai)
Particle
Strong's 3483: Yes, certainly, even so. A primary particle of strong affirmation; yes.
I am coming
ἔρχομαι (erchomai)
Verb - Present Indicative Middle or Passive - 1st Person Singular
Strong's 2064: To come, go.
soon.”
ταχύ (tachy)
Adverb
Strong's 5035: Quickly, speedily. Neuter singular of tachus; shortly, i.e. Without delay, soon, or suddenly, or readily.
Amen.
Ἀμήν (Amēn)
Hebrew Word
Strong's 281: Of Hebrew origin; properly, firm, i.e. trustworthy; adverbially, surely.
Come,
ἔρχου (erchou)
Verb - Present Imperative Middle or Passive - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 2064: To come, go.
Lord
Κύριε (Kyrie)
Noun - Vocative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2962: Lord, master, sir; the Lord. From kuros; supreme in authority, i.e. controller; by implication, Master.
Jesus!
Ἰησοῦ (Iēsou)
Noun - Vocative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2424: Of Hebrew origin; Jesus, the name of our Lord and two other Israelites.

Revelation 22:21

- The grace of the Lord Jesus and all the saints set apart by GOD!

The
Ἡ (Hē)
Article - Nominative Feminine Singular

grace
χάρις (charis)
Noun - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 5485: From chairo; graciousness, of manner or act.

of the
τοῦ (tou)
Article - Genitive Masculine Singular

Lord
Κυρίου (Kyriou)
Noun - Genitive Masculine Singular
Strong's 2962: Lord, master, sir; the Lord. From kuros; supreme in authority, i.e. controller; by implication, Master.

Jesus
Ἰησοῦ (Iēsou)
Strong's 2424: Of Hebrew origin; Jesus, the name of our Lord and two other Israelites.

[be] with
μετὰ (meta)
Preposition
Strong's 3326: (a) gen: with, in company with, (b) acc: (1) behind, beyond, after, of place, (2) after, of time, with nouns, neut. of adjectives.

all
πάντων (pantōn)
Adjective - Genitive Masculine Plural
Strong's 3956: All, the whole, every kind of. Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole.

the saints.
ἁγίων (hagiōn)
Adjective - Genitive Masculine Plural
Strong's 40: Set apart by (or for) God, holy, sacred. From hagos; sacred.

Amen.
Ἀμήν (Amēn)
Hebrew Word
Strong's 281: Of Hebrew origin; properly, firm, i.e. trustworthy; adverbially, surely.

- God's name is connected to the Hebrew tetragram and has nothing to do with Jesus!

- God made it clear in Exodus chapter 3 and he adds in verse 15 this is my name forever and this is how I am to be remembered in every generation!

God
אֱלֹהִ֜ים (’ĕ·lō·hîm)
Noun - masculine plural
Strong's 430: gods -- the supreme God, magistrates, a superlative

also
ע֨וֹד (‘ō·wḏ)
Adverb
Strong's 5750: Iteration, continuance, again, repeatedly, still, more

told
וַיֹּאמֶר֩ (way·yō·mer)
Conjunctive waw | Verb - Qal - Consecutive imperfect - third person masculine singular
Strong's 559: To utter, say

Moses,
מֹשֶׁ֗ה (mō·šeh)
Noun - proper - masculine singular
Strong's 4872: Moses -- a great Israelite leader, prophet and lawgiver

“Say
תֹאמַר֮ (ṯō·mar)
Verb - Qal - Imperfect - second person masculine singular
Strong's 559: To utter, say

to
אֶל־ (’el-)
Preposition
Strong's 413: Near, with, among, to

the Israelites,
בְּנֵ֣י (bə·nê)
Noun - masculine plural construct
Strong's 1121: A son

‘The LORD,
יְהוָ֞ה (Yah·weh)
Strong's 3068: LORD -- the proper name of the God of Israel

the God
אֱלֹהֵ֣י (’ĕ·lō·hê)

of your fathers—
אֲבֹתֵיכֶ֗ם (’ă·ḇō·ṯê·ḵem)
Noun - masculine plural construct | second person masculine plural
Strong's 1: Father

the God
אֱלֹהֵ֨י (’ĕ·lō·hê)

of Abraham,
אַבְרָהָ֜ם (’aḇ·rā·hām)
Strong's 85: Abraham -- 'exalted father', the father of the Jewish nation

the God
אֱלֹהֵ֥י (’ĕ·lō·hê)

of Isaac,
יִצְחָ֛ק (yiṣ·ḥāq)
Strong's 3327: Isaac -- 'he laughs', son of Abraham and Sarah

and the God
וֵאלֹהֵ֥י (wê·lō·hê)
Conjunctive waw | Noun - masculine plural construct

of Jacob—
יַעֲקֹ֖ב (ya·‘ă·qōḇ)
Strong's 3290: Jacob -- a son of Isaac, also his desc

has sent
שְׁלָחַ֣נִי (šə·lā·ḥa·nî)
Verb - Qal - Perfect - third person masculine singular | first person common singular
Strong's 7971: To send away, for, out

me to you.’
אֲלֵיכֶ֑ם (’ă·lê·ḵem)
Preposition | second person masculine plural
Strong's 413: Near, with, among, to

This
זֶה־ (zeh-)
Pronoun - masculine singular
Strong's 2088: This, that

is My name
שְּׁמִ֣י (šə·mî)
Noun - masculine singular construct | first person common singular
Strong's 8034: A name

forever,
לְעֹלָ֔ם (lə·‘ō·lām)
Preposition-l | Noun - masculine singular
Strong's 5769: Concealed, eternity, frequentatively, always

and this
וְזֶ֥ה (wə·zeh)
Conjunctive waw | Pronoun - masculine singular
Strong's 2088: This, that

is how I am to be remembered
זִכְרִ֖י (ziḵ·rî)
Noun - masculine singular construct | first person common singular
Strong's 2143: A memento, recollection, commemoration

in every generation.
לְדֹ֥ר (lə·ḏōr)
Preposition-l | Noun - masculine singular
Strong's 1755: A revolution of time, an age, generation, a dwelling

Someone says:

Beloved, be careful,
that ye be not deceived:

Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.

Blessed be Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth, the only begotten Son of the true and living God, the Alpha and Omega, the first and the last, even the I Am. Amen.

• My answer:
  • Revelation 1:1

[ This is the ] revelation
Ἀποκάλυψις (Apokalypsis)
Noun - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 602: An unveiling, uncovering, revealing, revelation. From apokalupto; disclosure.

of Jesus
Ἰησοῦ (Iēsou)

Christ,
Χριστοῦ (Christou)
Strong's 5547: Anointed One; the Messiah, the Christ. From chrio; Anointed One, i.e. The Messiah, an epithet of Jesus.

which
ἣν (hēn)
Personal / Relative Pronoun - Accusative Feminine Singular
Strong's 3739: Who, which, what, that.

God
Θεός (Theos)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2316: A deity, especially the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very.

gave
ἔδωκεν (edōken)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1325: To offer, give; I put, place. A prolonged form of a primary verb; to give.

Him
αὐτῷ (autō)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative Masculine 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

to show
δεῖξαι (deixai)
Verb - Aorist Infinitive Active
Strong's 1166: A prolonged form of an obsolete primary of the same meaning; to show.

His
αὐτοῦ (autou)

servants
δούλοις (doulois)
Noun - Dative Masculine Plural
Strong's 1401: (a) (as adj.) enslaved, (b) (as noun) a (male) slave. From deo; a slave.

what
ἃ (ha)
Personal / Relative Pronoun - Accusative Neuter Plural
Strong's 3739: Who, which, what, that.

must
δεῖ (dei)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1163: Third person singular active present of deo; also deon deh-on'; neuter active participle of the same; both used impersonally; it is Necessary.

soon
τάχει (tachei)
Noun - Dative Neuter Singular
Strong's 5034: Quickness, speed; hastily, immediately. From the same as tachus; a brief space, i.e. in haste.

come to pass.
γενέσθαι (genesthai)
Verb - Aorist Infinitive Middle
Strong's 1096: A prolongation and middle voice form of a primary verb; to cause to be, i.e. to become, used with great latitude.

He made it known
ἐσήμανεν (esēmanen)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 4591: To signify, indicate, give a sign, make known. From sema; to indicate.

by
διὰ (dia)
Preposition
Strong's 1223: A primary preposition denoting the channel of an act; through.

sending
ἀποστείλας (aposteilas)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 649: From apo and stello; set apart, i.e. to send out literally or figuratively.

His
αὐτοῦ (autou)

angel
ἀγγέλου (angelou)
Strong's 32: From aggello; a messenger; especially an 'angel'; by implication, a pastor.

to
τῷ (tō)
Article - Dative Masculine Singular

His
αὐτοῦ (autou)

servant
δούλῳ (doulō)
Noun - Dative Masculine Singular
Strong's 1401: (a) (as adj.) enslaved, (b) (as noun) a (male) slave. From deo; a slave.

John,
Ἰωάννῃ (Iōannē)
Noun - Dative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2491: Of Hebrew origin; Joannes, the name of four Israelites.

• I have received this testimony from Kenya!

• Maybe it may inspire some!

I was born in a village known as Kangoje. My Father died when I was three years old. When he died, my mother was pregnant with my sister. We started to face a very rough life, so my mother ended up becoming a prostitute only so she could get my sister and myself one meal each day. After five years of this kind of life my mother died as a result of HIV/AIDS. At the age of nine I started life as an orphan, with my younger sister. After the death of both of my parents we were chased out of our area and I started to live in the trenches and tunnels with my sister.
I became a beggar for food, going to every house. I suffered greatly because my sister and I had to struggle with going to school. As time went on I worked as a slave for a cruel relative making bricks, and collecting garbage. I was looking for food that people gave to the dogs and from the garbage. When I was 14 years old, a pastor found me as I was collecting food from the garbage for our next meal. His name was Rashid, who had been a Muslim converted to Christianity. He tried to share the Gospel of Christ with me, but I did not want to listen to him. For I was wondering where this God was when my parents died and when I had been suffering without food, clothes, and had to sleep in trenches. I was feeling rejected and forsaken by everyone including God in this world. After one week, this pastor came again and began to share again about Christ to us. At that time, I came to the knowledge of Jesus Christ, and I accepted Him as my Savior. After this things began growing more rough and hard in my life. At the age of 18, God spoke to me four times while praying and through visions that He wants me to minister to my fellow street children. From there I started to preach to the youths on the streets and orphans whom had like me lost all hope in life.
Because of these good works a well wisher helped me to find a place to live and I got the chance to go to Bible school and become a pastor.

With grace God enable me start a ministry to reach unreached souls in villages of Kenya. Currently having churches and indigenous pastors who are helping me in the ministry. As a result of orphan who I was God worked through me to enable me live with orphans saved from slavery. I live now with 18 orphans. I am praying that God will expand my ministry and bring in my life those who can give me monetary support. For the ministry has grown to parts of Uganda and Tanzania. I have been able to plant 11 churches in villages of Kenya. Also I have 17 indigenous pastors who help me. I have an orphanage.
With Humbleness

4) Cold or Hot Anger?

• In Genesis 11 we are told about the Tower of Babel!

• Men were supposed to fill the earth according to God’s will!

• But they refused to obey God’s will by staying together and building a big city and a high tower to reach heaven!

• As a consequence God confused their language and they started to speak different languages and they filled the earth by going away according to their language!

• There was no anger at all just to force them to do according to God’s will!

5) Cold or Hot Anger?

• In Genesis 12 we are told that God struck the Egyptians because of Abraham and his wife!

• Thus he acted to protect Abraham and his wife!

• Thus God always acts on purpose!

• There is always a balance between action and repayment of what has been done!

• If we don’t have this idea in mind, we can’t understand God’s action!

6) Cold or Hot Anger?

• In Genesis 15 God tells Abraham that his offspring will be slaves for 400 years!

• But after that God will strike the nation that will do that!

• And the Israelites will have compensation!

• They will leave the country with many goods!

• But think of that!

• They will be slaves for 400 years!

• And yet they won’t take advantage of such a bad situation!

• How stupid they are!

• But it’s the same with mankind!

• Except the fact that the Israelites were supposed to be God’s people!

7) Cold or Hot Anger?

• In Genesis 18 God tells Abraham he is going to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah because they were all bad to the extreme without any exception!

• Genesis 19: 4,5 tells us to which extreme!

• Lot was a foreign resident!

• Thus Lot and his family could avoid the destruction but they couldn’t look back!
  • Lot’s wife looked back and she was destroyed!

• In this case again, we can see God’s balance!

• There is always a price to pay sooner or later!

• It will be the same for mankind when Jesus comes back as a warlord!

• And there won’t be any exception!

• Everyone will be judged according to one’s actions!

7) Cold or Hot Anger?

• In Genesis 18 God tells Abraham he is going to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah because they were all bad to the extreme without any exception!

• Genesis 19: 4,5 tells us to which extreme!

• Lot was a foreign resident!

• Thus Lot and his family could avoid the destruction but they couldn’t look back!
  • Lot’s wife looked back and she was destroyed!

• In this case again, we can see God’s balance!

• There is always a price to pay sooner or later!

• It will be the same for mankind when Jesus comes back as a warlord!

• And there won’t be any exception!

• Everyone will be judged according to one’s actions!

8) Cold or Hot Anger?

• In Genesis 20 Abimelech takes Abraham’s wife without knowing she is Abraham’s wife!

• It happens like in Egypt!

• But God doesn’t strike Abimelech because he has an honest heart!

• But he warns him in a dream!

• And God tells Abimelech to tell Abraham to pray for him!

• Here again we see the same situation as in the case of Egypt!

• But God acts differently depending on people’s attitude!

• Once again God's balance!

9) Cold or Hot Anger?

• Coming back to Genesis 20, in fact, God had made all the women of the house of Abimelech barren!

• Thus Abraham had to pray for Abimelech and his house!
  • And as usual he would receive many gifts!

• Sheep and cattle and servants and 1,000 pieces of silver!

• In genesis 38, Er, Judah’s firstborn is wicked and God puts him to death!

• Once again we get God’s balance, Er is put to death because of his bad actions!

10) Cold or Hot Anger?

• God frees Israel from Egypt!

• But before he strikes Egypt with the ten plagues!

• When Pharaoh pursues Israel, the Egyptians are drown in the sea!

• Egypt pays for what they have done to Israel!

• And Pharaoh is put in his place!

• As usual God’s balance!

• It doesn’t matter how long it takes!

• Nobody can escape!

11) Cold or Hot Anger?

• In Exodus 16 Israel begins to murmur against Moses and Aaron because of the food!

• And he puts them to the test to see if they walk according to his law!

• So they must gather sufficient manna every day and the sixth day they must gather the double because they won’t get anything the seventh day!

• In the morning nothing must be left!
  • But they don’t listen as usual!

• In fact they never listened!

• So what is left in the morning is full of worms and stinks!

• And some people go on the seventh day to get some manna but there is no manna!

• And God is fed up with them!

• As usual God’s balance!

• He wants to see what they will do!

• It is the same for us!

12) Cold or Hot Anger?

• In Exodus 17 as usual, the Israelites keep quarreling with Moses because there is no water to drink!

• And they murmur against Moses!

• And Moses has enough with them!

• And as usual they put God to the test!

• Then God gives them water!

• We can imagine that if Moses have enough with the Israelites, it must not be very different from God!

• Except he can bear them longer!

• We can call it cold anger!

• But really cold!

• Because God is able to wait and wait!

• But then of course the consequences are usually at the level!

• Same regarding mankind!

13) Cold or Hot Anger?

• In Exodus 17 the Amalekites fight again Israel!

• To show Israel that God fights for them, Moses stands on top of the hill while Joshua fights the Amalekites!

• When Moses maintains his rod Israel prevails!

• When Moses lets down his hands the Amalekites prevail!

• Then Moses sits down on a stone and Aaron and Hur support his hands!

• Thus Joshua defeats Amalek!

• And it will be so all the time!

• Because Israel will keep putting God on the test!

FAITH WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD!
1)
James 1:1

• The testing (dokimion) of your faith (pisteos) develops (katergazetai) perseverance (hypomonen)!

James 1:4

• Perseverance must finish its work so the disciple can be mature and complete!

http://www.freebiblecommentary.org/special_topics/greek_terms_testing.html

SPECIAL TOPIC: GREEK TERMS FOR TESTING AND THEIR CONNOTATIONS

I was confused by the relationship between Matt. 6:13 and James 1:13. They seem to contradict each other. The answer came in the connotation of two Greek terms.

 There are two Greek terms which have the connotation of testing, trying, or tempting someone for a purpose.

1. Dokimazō, Dokimion, Dokimasia
     This term is a metalurgist term for testing the genuineness of something (i.e., metaphorically someone) by fire (see SPECIAL TOPIC: FIRE). The fire reveals the true metal and burns off (i.e., impurities) the dross. This physical process became a powerful idiom for God and/or Satan and/or humans testing others. This term is only used in a positive sense of testing with a view towards acceptance (see SPECIAL TOPIC: GOD TESTS HIS PEOPLE [OT]).
     It is used in the NT of testing
    1. oxen ‒ Luke 14:19
    2. ourselves ‒ 1 Cor. 11:28
    3. our faith ‒ James. 1:3
    4. even God ‒ Heb. 3:9

The outcomes of these tests were assumed to be positive (cf. Rom. 2:18; 14:22; 16:10; 2 Cor. 10:18; 13:3,7; Phil. 2:27; 1 Pet. 1:7), therefore, the term conveys the idea of someone examined and approved
      1. to be worthwhile
      2. to be good
      3. to be genuine
      4. to be valuable
      5. to be honored

2. Peirazō, Peirasmus
    This term often has the connotation of examination for the purpose of fault finding or rejection. It is used in connection to Jesus' temptation in the wilderness (cf. Matthew 4; Luke 4).
    1. It conveys the attempt to trap Jesus (cf. Matt. 4:1; 16:1; 19:3; 22:18, 35; Mark 1:13; Luke 4:2; Heb. 2:18).
    2. This term (peirazōn) is used as a title for Satan in Matt. 4:3; 1 Thess. 3:5 (i.e., "the tempter"; see SPECIAL TOPIC: SATAN).
    3. Usage
      1. It was used by Jesus warning humans not to test God (cf. Matt. 4:7; Luke 4:12, [or Christ cf. 1 Cor 10:9]).
      2. It also denotes the attempt to do something that has failed (cf. Heb.11:29).
      3. It is used in connection with the temptation and trials of believers (cf. 1 Cor. 7:5; 10:9, 13; Gal. 6:1; 1 Thess. 3:5; Heb. 2:18; James. 1:2, 13, 14; 1 Pet. 4:12; 2 Pet 2:9).
  3. In Hebrews 3:9 they are both used in a synonymous relationship. Words have meaning only in contexts!

• Anyone can say he has faith!

• But faith must be tested!

• Thus we can be examined and approved or rejected!

• The idea of fire revealing pure metal and burning off impurities is quite easy to visualize!

FAITH WITHOUT WORKS IS DEAD!
2)

https://thelogosofagape.wordpress.c...nd-pisteuo-a-greek-word-study/comment-page-1/
Pistis, Pisteos and Pisteuó – A Greek Word Study

Pistis (lexical form) [noun], Pisteos (possessive version of pistis) – Pistis in most translations is rendered as faith but instead should probably be rendered as vow to faithful relationship as the truer understanding of the word in the early church. It probably could just be rendered as vow (or pledge) and it stems from the idea of covenant loyalty. It is therefore probably best linked to a covenant (think like a wedding vow or a pledging of allegiance) but faithful relationship (or covenant loyalty) could be added for emphasis and further clarification considering the English world’s vast misunderstanding of the word.

We typically amount faith to belief in English and think that this is what is being conveyed by the author but the problem is that this is not done consistently. For example there are several places in scripture where it refers to God’s Pistis but the English translators never translate it as faith as God does not need faith (if it simply means belief). Instead in these instances they typically translate it as faithfulness in these situations. There are also times (like in Romans 3:22) where it refers to Jesus’s Pistis, again translators typically would refer to this as faithfulness. With this in mind one can see the inconsistency in translation here. When faith does not fit their narrative translators are prone to translating “pistis” as faithfulness but then when it does fit the narrative they want to convey they opt for a translation as simple faith. This is terribly inconsistent.

Faithfulness truly is the better understanding and meaning for the word but it still is not quite the best. Unlike today Faith / belief was not an issue of concern at the time the scriptures were being written. While there are plenty of people who are atheists or agnostic, who don’t really believe anything supernaturally nowadays, this was not the case back then. Virtually everyone in that time period believed in supernatural beings and worshiped their “gods.” Therefore when one understands the word pistis as meaning a vow to faithfulness or a vow to covenant loyalty one can see in that culture how important that was. To claim Jesus as your Lord and King to the exclusion of all others, was then a change of allegiance from your “god’s” to the one true God, the God of Israel and to pledge allegiance to His anointed King Jesus and to His coming Kingdom!

This change of allegiance may result in huge excommunication from family, friends and society. Try to think about how Muslims are oftentimes reported to be treated by their family or community if the switch to Christianity and that may give you an idea of how it was. The large majority of the populace at this time had their own “god’s” they were worshiping and changing allegiance to say you are only going to be faithful to the 1 all powerful God would be the cause of much trouble and persecution moving forward. This is why pistis (making the pledge of covenant loyalty and faithfulness) was such a big deal. Yes, it was the means by which God considered a person to be His and declares that person to be in right relationship with Him but it was also something that had huge ramification because of the society the convert was living in at the time.

Pisteos – (genitive/possessive form of pistis) – which in most translations is also rendered simply as faith should instead probably be rendered as ones commitment to faithfulness (which implies owning up to continually being faithful or loyal to a covenantal relational vow that has already been made)! This would be a truer understanding of the word in the early church. It probably could just be rendered ones faithfulness or covenant loyalty but commitment to could be added for emphasis and further clarification considering the English worlds vast misunderstanding of the word.

Pisteuó (Lexical from) [verb] – Which in most translations is rendered as believing (or just belief) in the early church means more than mere acknowledgement of something as true or mental agreement with a concept or idea which is what the word belief typically means in English. Instead it means an actual trusting within a personal relationship (again it would probably be best to think of it within a relational covenant) to the point of confidence and action based off of that relationship. This is because pisteuó is basically the verbal form of Pistis. In light of that it should probably be translated as trust (or trusting in active tense) and rely (or relying in active tense) throughout the text and could often be defined as to what relationship or thing they are trusting in within the text.

• Faith!

• Vow to faithful relationship as the truer understanding of the word in the early church!

• Which is far more than just believing!

• Being a disciple is far more than just believing!

• WE MUST BE READY TO FOLLOW JESUS!

• Vow or pledge!

• Covenant loyalty!

• When it refers to God’s Pistis or Jesus’ Pistis, translators turn it into faithfulness!

• In the past everybody used to believe!

• Now it’s the contrary!

• Therefore when one understands the word pistis as meaning a vow to faithfulness or a vow to covenant loyalty one can see in that culture how important that was!
  • To claim Jesus as your Lord and King to the exclusion of all others, was then a change of allegiance from your “god’s” to the one true God, the God of Israel and to pledge allegiance to His anointed King Jesus and to His coming Kingdom!

• This is why pistis (making the pledge of covenant loyalty and faithfulness) was such a big deal. Yes, it was the means by which God considered a person to be His and declared that person to be in the right relationship with Him but it was also something that had huge ramification because of the society the convert was living in at the time!

• It should be easy to understand the influence of CORRUPTION!

• Thus MODERNITY at any time and especially today appears as a synonym of CORRUPTION!

Back