• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

Looking for Paul

Acts 1:18

(
οὖν (oun)
Conjunction
Strong's 3767: Therefore, then. Apparently a primary word; certainly, or accordingly.

With
ἐκ (ek)
Preposition
Strong's 1537: From out, out from among, from, suggesting from the interior outwards. A primary preposition denoting origin, from, out.

[the] reward
μισθοῦ (misthou)
Noun - Genitive Masculine Singular
Strong's 3408: (a) pay, wages, salary, (b) reward, recompense, punishment. Apparently a primary word; pay for service, good or bad.

of [his]
τῆς (tēs)
Article - Genitive Feminine Singular
Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.

wickedness
ἀδικίας (adikias)
Noun - Genitive Feminine Singular
Strong's 93: Injustice, unrighteousness, hurt. From adikos; injustice; morally, wrongfulness.

[Judas]
Οὗτος (Houtos)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3778: This; he, she, it.

bought
ἐκτήσατο (ektēsato)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Middle - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 2932: (a) I acquire, win, get, purchase, buy, (b) I possess, win mastery over. A primary verb; to get, i.e. Acquire.

a field,
χωρίον (chōrion)
Noun - Accusative Neuter Singular
Strong's 5564: A place, piece of land, field, property, estate. Diminutive of chora; a spot or plot of ground.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction
Strong's 2532: And, even, also, namely.

falling
γενόμενος (genomenos)
Verb - Aorist Participle Middle - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 1096: A prolongation and middle voice form of a primary verb; to cause to be, i.e. to become, used with great latitude.

headlong,
πρηνὴς (prēnēs)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 4248: Falling headlong, prone. From pro; leaning forward, i.e. Head foremost.

he burst open
ἐλάκησεν (elakēsen)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 2997: A strengthened form of a primary verb, which only occurs in this and another prolonged form as alternate in certain tenses; to crack open.

in [the] middle
μέσος (mesos)
Strong's 3319: Middle, in the middle, between, in the midst of. From meta; middle (neuter) noun).

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

all
πάντα (panta)
Adjective - Nominative Neuter Plural
Strong's 3956: All, the whole, every kind of. Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole.

his
αὐτοῦ (autou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

intestines
σπλάγχνα (splanchna)
Noun - Nominative Neuter Plural
Strong's 4698: Probably strengthened from splen; an intestine; figuratively, pity or sympathy.

spilled out.
ἐξεχύθη (exechythē)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Passive - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1632: Or ekchuno ek-khoo'-no from ek and cheo; to pour forth; figuratively, to bestow.

Acts 1:19

[This] became
ἐγένετο (egeneto)
Strong's 1096: A prolongation and middle voice form of a primary verb; to cause to be, i.e. to become, used with great latitude.

known
γνωστὸν (gnōston)
Adjective - Nominative Neuter Singular
Strong's 1110: Known, an acquaintance. From ginosko; well-known.

to everyone
πᾶσι (pasi)
Adjective - Dative Masculine Plural
Strong's 3956: All, the whole, every kind of. Including all the forms of declension; apparently a primary word; all, any, every, the whole.

living
κατοικοῦσιν (katoikousin)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Dative Masculine Plural
Strong's 2730: To dwell in, settle in, be established in (permanently), inhabit. From kata and oikeo; to house permanently, i.e. Reside.

in Jerusalem;
Ἰερουσαλήμ (Ierousalēm)
Noun - Accusative Feminine Singular
Strong's 2419: Of Hebrew origin; Hierusalem, the capitol of Palestine.

so
ὥστε (hōste)
Conjunction
Strong's 5620: So that, therefore, so then, so as to. From hos and te; so too, i.e. Thus therefore.

they called
κληθῆναι (klēthēnai)
Verb - Aorist Infinitive Passive
Strong's 2564: (a) I call, summon, invite, (b) I call, name. Akin to the base of keleuo; to 'call'.

that
ἐκεῖνο (ekeino)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Accusative Neuter Singular
Strong's 1565: That, that one there, yonder. From ekei; that one (neuter) thing); often intensified by the article prefixed.

field
χωρίον (chōrion)
Strong's 5564: A place, piece of land, field, property, estate. Diminutive of chora; a spot or plot of ground.

in
τῇ (tē)
Article - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's 3588: The, the definite article. Including the feminine he, and the neuter to in all their inflections; the definite article; the.

their
αὐτῶν (autōn)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 846: He, she, it, they, them, same. From the particle au; the reflexive pronoun self, used of the third person, and of the other persons.

own
ἰδίᾳ (idia)
Adjective - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's 2398: Pertaining to self, i.e. One's own; by implication, private or separate.

language
διαλέκτῳ (dialektō)
Noun - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's 1258: Language, speech, conversation, manner of speaking. From dialegomai; a discourse, i.e. 'dialect'.

Akeldama,
Ἁκελδαμάχ (Hakeldamach)
Strong's 184: Akeldama (in Aramaic: field of blood). Of Chaldee origin; Akeldama, a place near Jerusalem.

that
τοῦτ’ (tout’)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Nominative Neuter Singular

is,
ἔστιν (estin)
Verb - Present Indicative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

Field
Χωρίον (Chōrion)

of Blood.)
αἵματος (haimatos)
Noun - Genitive Neuter Singular
Strong's 129: Blood, literally, figuratively or specially; by implication, bloodshed, also kindred.

Acts 1:19

[This] became
ἐγένετο (egeneto)

known
γνωστὸν (gnōston)
Adjective - Nominative Neuter Singular
Strong's 1110: Known, an acquaintance. From ginosko; well-known.

to everyone
πᾶσι (pasi)
Adjective - Dative Masculine Plural

living
κατοικοῦσιν (katoikousin)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Dative Masculine Plural
Strong's 2730: To dwell in, settle in, be established in (permanently), inhabit. From kata and oikeo; to house permanently, i.e. Reside.

in Jerusalem;
Ἰερουσαλήμ (Ierousalēm)
Strong's 2419: Of Hebrew origin; Hierusalem, the capitol of Palestine.

so
ὥστε (hōste)
Conjunction
Strong's 5620: So that, therefore, so then, so as to. From hos and te; so too, i.e. Thus therefore.

they called
κληθῆναι (klēthēnai)
Strong's 2564: (a) I call, summon, invite, (b) I call, name. Akin to the base of keleuo; to 'call'.

that
ἐκεῖνο (ekeino)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Accusative Neuter Singular
Strong's 1565: That, that one there, yonder. From ekei; that one (neuter) thing); often intensified by the article prefixed.

field
χωρίον (chōrion)

in
τῇ (tē)
Article - Dative Feminine Singular

their
αὐτῶν (autōn)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive Masculine 3rd Person Plural

own
ἰδίᾳ (idia)
Adjective - Dative Feminine Singular
Strong's 2398: Pertaining to self, i.e. One's own; by implication, private or separate.

language
διαλέκτῳ (dialektō)
Strong's 1258: Language, speech, conversation, manner of speaking. From dialegomai; a discourse, i.e. 'dialect'.

Akeldama,
Ἁκελδαμάχ (Hakeldamach)
Strong's 184: Akeldama (in Aramaic: field of blood). Of Chaldee origin; Akeldama, a place near Jerusalem.

that
τοῦτ’ (tout’)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Nominative Neuter Singular

is,
ἔστιν (estin)
Strong's 1510: I am, exist. The first person singular present indicative; a prolonged form of a primary and defective verb; I exist.

Field
Χωρίον (Chōrion)

of Blood.)
αἵματος (haimatos)
Strong's 129: Blood, literally, figuratively or specially; by implication, bloodshed, also kindred.

Acts 1:20

“For
γὰρ (gar)
Conjunction
Strong's 1063: For. A primary particle; properly, assigning a reason.

it is written
Γέγραπται (Gegraptai)
Verb - Perfect Indicative Middle or Passive - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 1125: A primary verb; to 'grave', especially to write; figuratively, to describe.

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition
Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

[the] book
βίβλῳ (biblō)
Strong's 976: Properly, the inner bark of the papyrus plant, i.e. a sheet or scroll of writing.

of Psalms:
Ψαλμῶν (Psalmōn)
Noun - Genitive Masculine Plural
Strong's 5568: From psallo; a set piece of music, i.e. A sacred ode; collectively, the book of the Psalms.

‘{May} his
αὐτοῦ (autou)

dwelling
ἔπαυλις (epaulis)
Noun - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 1886: A farm, estate, dwelling, habitation. From epi and an equivalent of aule; a hut over the head, i.e. A dwelling.

be
Γενηθήτω (Genēthētō)
Verb - Aorist Imperative Passive - 3rd Person Singular

deserted;
ἔρημος (erēmos)
Adjective - Nominative Feminine Singular
Strong's 2048: Lonesome, i.e. waste.

let there be
ἔστω (estō)
Verb - Present Imperative Active - 3rd Person Singular

no
μὴ (mē)
Adverb
Strong's 3361: Not, lest. A primary particle of qualified negation; not, lest; also (whereas ou expects an affirmative one) whether.

[one]
ὁ (ho)
Article - Nominative Masculine Singular

to live
κατοικῶν (katoikōn)
Verb - Present Participle Active - Nominative Masculine Singular

in
ἐν (en)
Preposition
Strong's 1722: In, on, among. A primary preposition denoting position, and instrumentality, i.e. A relation of rest; 'in, ' at, on, by, etc.

it,’
αὐτῇ (autē)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative Feminine 3rd Person Singular

and,
Καί (Kai)
Conjunction

‘{May} another
ἕτερος (heteros)
Strong's 2087: (a) of two: another, a second, (b) other, different, (c) one's neighbor. Of uncertain affinity; other or different.

take
λαβέτω (labetō)
Verb - Aorist Imperative Active - 3rd Person Singular
Strong's 2983: (a) I receive, get, (b) I take, lay hold of.

his
αὐτοῦ (autou)

office.’
ἐπισκοπὴν (episkopēn)
Strong's 1984: From episkeptomai; inspection; by implication, superintendence; specially, the Christian 'episcopate'.

Acts 1:21

Therefore
οὖν (oun)
Conjunction
Strong's 3767: Therefore, then. Apparently a primary word; certainly, or accordingly.

it is necessary [to select]
Δεῖ (Dei)
Strong's 1163: Third person singular active present of deo; also deon deh-on'; neuter active participle of the same; both used impersonally; it is Necessary.

one of the
τῶν (tōn)
Article - Genitive Masculine Plural

men
ἀνδρῶν (andrōn)
Strong's 435: A male human being; a man, husband. A primary word; a man.

who have accompanied
συνελθόντων (synelthontōn)
Verb - Aorist Participle Active - Genitive Masculine Plural
Strong's 4905: From sun and erchomai; to convene, depart in company with, associate with, or, cohabit.

us
ἡμῖν (hēmin)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative 1st Person Plural
Strong's 1473: I, the first-person pronoun. A primary pronoun of the first person I.

[the] whole
παντὶ (panti)
Adjective - Dative Masculine Singular

time
χρόνῳ (chronō)
Noun - Dative Masculine Singular
Strong's 5550: A space of time or interval; by extension, an individual opportunity; by implication, delay.

the
ὁ (ho)

Lord
Κύριος (Kyrios)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2962: Lord, master, sir; the Lord. From kuros; supreme in authority, i.e. controller; by implication, Master.

Jesus
Ἰησοῦς (Iēsous)
Strong's 2424: Of Hebrew origin; Jesus, the name of our Lord and two other Israelites.

went in
εἰσῆλθεν (eisēlthen)
Strong's 1525: To go in, come in, enter. From eis and erchomai; to enter.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

out
ἐξῆλθεν (exēlthen)
Strong's 1831: To go out, come out. From ek and erchomai; to issue.

among
ἐφ’ (eph’)
Preposition
Strong's 1909: On, to, against, on the basis of, at.

us,
ἡμᾶς (hēmas)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Accusative 1st Person Plural
Strong's 1473: I, the first-person pronoun. A primary pronoun of the first person I.

Acts 1:22

beginning
ἀρξάμενος (arxamenos)
Verb - Aorist Participle Middle - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 756: To begin. Middle voice of archo; to commence.

from
ἀπὸ (apo)
Preposition
Strong's 575: From, away from. A primary particle; 'off, ' i.e. Away, in various senses.

John’s
Ἰωάννου (Iōannou)
Noun - Genitive Masculine Singular
Strong's 2491: Of Hebrew origin; Joannes, the name of four Israelites.

baptism
βαπτίσματος (baptismatos)
Strong's 908: The rite or ceremony of baptism. From baptizo; baptism.

until
ἕως (heōs)
Preposition
Strong's 2193: A conjunction, preposition and adverb of continuance, until.

the
τῆς (tēs)

day
ἡμέρας (hēmeras)
Strong's 2250: A day, the period from sunrise to sunset.

[Jesus] was taken up
ἀνελήμφθη (anelēmphthē)
Strong's 353: To take up, raise; I pick up, take on board; I carry off, lead away. From ana and lambano; to take up.

from
ἀφ’ (aph’)
Preposition
Strong's 575: From, away from. A primary particle; 'off, ' i.e. Away, in various senses.

us.
ἡμῶν (hēmōn)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive 1st Person Plural

[For] one
ἕνα (hena)
Adjective - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's 1520: One. (including the neuter Hen); a primary numeral; one.

of these
τούτων (toutōn)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Genitive Masculine Plural

must become
γενέσθαι (genesthai)
Verb - Aorist Infinitive Middle

a witness
μάρτυρα (martyra)
Noun - Accusative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3144: A witness (judicially) or figuratively (genitive case); by analogy, a 'martyr'.

with
σὺν (syn)
Preposition
Strong's 4862: With. A primary preposition denoting union; with or together.

us
ἡμῖν (hēmin)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Dative 1st Person Plural

of
τῆς (tēs)

His
αὐτοῦ (autou)

resurrection.”
ἀναστάσεως (anastaseōs)
Strong's 386: A rising again, resurrection. From anistemi; a standing up again, i.e. a resurrection from death (its author), or a recovery.

Acts 1:23

[So]
Καὶ (Kai)
Conjunction

they proposed
ἔστησαν (estēsan)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 2476: A prolonged form of a primary stao stah'-o; to stand, used in various applications.

two [men]:
δύο (dyo)
Adjective - Accusative Masculine Plural
Strong's 1417: Two. A primary numeral; 'two'.

Joseph
Ἰωσὴφ (Iōsēph)
Strong's 2501: Joseph, a proper name. Of Hebrew origin; Joseph, the name of seven Israelites.

called
καλούμενον (kaloumenon)
Verb - Present Participle Middle or Passive - Accusative Masculine Singular

Barsabbas
Βαρσαββᾶν (Barsabban)
Strong's 923: Of Chaldee origin; son of Sabas; Bar-sabas, the name of two Israelites.

(
ὃς (hos)
Personal / Relative Pronoun - Nominative Masculine Singular
Strong's 3739: Who, which, what, that.

[also] known as
ἐπεκλήθη (epeklēthē)
Strong's 1941: (a) To call (name) by a supplementary (additional, alternative) name, (b) mid: To call upon, appeal to, address.

Justus)
Ἰοῦστος (Ioustos)
Strong's 2459: Of Latin origin; Justus, the name of three Christian.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

Matthias.
Μαθθίαν (Maththian)
Strong's 3159: Matthias. Apparently a shortened form of Mattathias; Matthias, an Israelite.

Acts 1:24

And
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

they prayed,
προσευξάμενοι (proseuxamenoi)
Verb - Aorist Participle Middle - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 4336: To pray, pray for, offer prayer. From pros and euchomai; to pray to God, i.e. Supplicate, worship.

“Lord,
Κύριε (Kyrie)
Noun - Vocative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2962: Lord, master, sir; the Lord. From kuros; supreme in authority, i.e. controller; by implication, Master.

You
Σὺ (Sy)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Nominative 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 4771: You. The person pronoun of the second person singular; thou.

know everyone’s heart.
καρδιογνῶστα (kardiognōsta)
Noun - Vocative Masculine Singular
Strong's 2589: A knower of the inner life (character, hearts). From kardia and ginosko; a heart-knower.

Show [us]
ἀνάδειξον (anadeixon)
Verb - Aorist Imperative Active - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 322: From ana and deiknuo; to exhibit, i.e. to indicate, appoint.

which
ὃν (hon)
Personal / Relative Pronoun - Accusative Masculine Singular

of
ἐκ (ek)
Preposition
Strong's 1537: From out, out from among, from, suggesting from the interior outwards. A primary preposition denoting origin, from, out.

these
τούτων (toutōn)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Genitive Masculine Plural

two
δύο (dyo)
Adjective - Genitive Masculine Plural
Strong's 1417: Two. A primary numeral; 'two'.

You have chosen
ἐξελέξω (exelexō)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Middle - 2nd Person Singular
Strong's 1586: To pick out for myself, choose, elect, select. Middle voice from ek and lego; to select.

Acts 1:25

to assume
λαβεῖν (labein)
Verb - Aorist Infinitive Active
Strong's 2983: (a) I receive, get, (b) I take, lay hold of.

this
ταύτης (tautēs)
Demonstrative Pronoun - Genitive Feminine Singular

ministry
διακονίας (diakonias)
Strong's 1248: Waiting at table; in a wider sense: service, ministration. From diakonos; attendance; figuratively aid, service.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

apostleship,
ἀποστολῆς (apostolēs)
Strong's 651: Commission, duty of apostle, apostleship. From apostello; commission, i.e. apostolate.

which
ἧς (hēs)
Personal / Relative Pronoun - Genitive Feminine Singular

Judas
Ἰούδας (Ioudas)
Strong's 2455: Of Hebrew origin; Judas, the name of ten Israelites; also of the posterity of one of them and its region.

abandoned
παρέβη (parebē)
Strong's 3845: To transgress, violate, depart, desert. From para and the base of basis; to go contrary to, i.e. Violate a command.

to go
πορευθῆναι (poreuthēnai)
Strong's 4198: To travel, journey, go, die.

to
εἰς (eis)
Preposition
Strong's 1519: A primary preposition; to or into, of place, time, or purpose; also in adverbial phrases.

his
τὸν (ton)
Article - Accusative Masculine Singular

[rightful]
ἴδιον (idion)
Adjective - Accusative Masculine Singular

place.”
τόπον (topon)
Strong's 5117: Apparently a primary word; a spot, i.e. Location; figuratively, condition, opportunity; specially, a scabbard.

Acts 1:26

Then
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

they cast
ἔδωκαν (edōkan)
Verb - Aorist Indicative Active - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 1325: To offer, give; I put, place. A prolonged form of a primary verb; to give.

lots,
κλήρους (klērous)
Noun - Accusative Masculine Plural
Strong's 2819: (a) a lot, (b) a portion assigned; hence: a portion of the people of God assigned to one's care, a congregation.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

the
ὁ (ho)

lot
κλῆρος (klēros)
Strong's 2819: (a) a lot, (b) a portion assigned; hence: a portion of the people of God assigned to one's care, a congregation.

fell
ἔπεσεν (epesen)
Strong's 4098: A reduplicated and contracted form of peto; probably akin to petomai through the idea of alighting; to fall.

to
ἐπὶ (epi)
Preposition

Matthias;
Μαθθίαν (Maththian)
Strong's 3159: Matthias. Apparently a shortened form of Mattathias; Matthias, an Israelite.

[so]
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

he was added
συνκατεψηφίσθη (synkatepsēphisthē)
Strong's 4785: To be voted or classed with. From sun and a compound of kata and psephizo; to count down in company with, i.e. Enroll among.

to
μετὰ (meta)
Preposition
Strong's 3326: (a) gen: with, in company with, (b) acc: (1) behind, beyond, after, of place, (2) after, of time, with nouns, neut. of adjectives.

the
τῶν (tōn)
Article - Genitive Masculine Plural

eleven
ἕνδεκα (hendeka)
Adjective - Genitive Masculine Plural
Strong's 1733: Eleven. From heis and deka; one and ten, i.e. Eleven.

apostles.
ἀποστόλων (apostolōn)
Strong's 652: From apostello; a delegate; specially, an ambassador of the Gospel; officially a commissioner of Christ.

- It was about Matthias who was chosen as twelth apostle to replace Judas!

-As it is said, it was to be a disciple from the beginning!

13) Acts 14

In Iconium They both teach in the synagogue and many Jews

and Greeks become believers. As usual, the Jews oppose

them. But they keep speaking with boldness. Finally there is

a division in the city: some are for the Jews but others for the

apostles. So some people of the nations and the Jews with

their rulers want to stone them they flee to other cities and

keep declaring the good news. In Lystra Paul cures a man

who is lame from birth because of his faith. And the crowds

take them for gods. And they call Barnabas Zeus and Paul

Hermes as he takes the lead in speaking. And the priests of

Zeus want to offer sacrifices. But then the apostles Barnabas

and Paul rip their garments and leap out into the crowd and

cry out telling they are just humans. But Jews arrive from

Antioch and Iconium and persuade the crowds to stone Paul

and drag him outside the city thinking he is dead. But he

gets up and enters the city. Then They move to other cities to

make disciples and at the same time to encourage the

disciples. They appoint elders in each congregation.

- Paul and Barnabas know what they have to do and they

keep doing it!

- Paul is stoned but survives and goes as usual!

- He knows it is not going to be the last time!

- But he is ready to serve God at any cost!

- What a STRENGTH!

14) Acts 15

Some men come down from Judea teaching the disciples to

get circumcised to be saved. Then a discussion occurs

between these men and Paul and Barnabas. So some of these

men and Paul and Barnabas go up to the apostles and elders

in Jerusalem. They are well received in Jerusalem. But some

Pharisees who have become believers say it is necessary to be

circumcised and obey the Law of Moses. So the apostles and

the elders gather together to talk about this matter. Finally,

Peter speaks about the people of the nations who became

believers and receive the holy spirit. Then Barnabas and Paul

relate the facts about their action. Then, in turn, James

speaks about the matter. And the conclusion about the

disciples from the nations is that they must abstain from:

- THINGS POLLUTED BY IDOLS,

- SEXUAL IMMORALITY,

- WHAT IS STRANGLED,

- BLOOD.

And the apostles and the elders, together with the whole

congregation, decide to send chosen men to Antioch along

with Paul and Barnabas with a letter explaining the decision

which was made. After that and some days, Paul says to

Barnabas to return and visit the brothers in all the cities they

have been. But Barnabas wants to take along John also called

Mark. But Paul disagrees because he had left them and had

not share the work. So they have an argument so they decide

to separate Barnabas takes Mark to go to Cyprus and Paul

takes Silas to go to Syria and Cilicia.

- It is definitely an interesting part!

- Some Pharisees became Christians!

- But they still want to follow the Law of Moses and the

circumcision and they want the disciples from the nations to

do so!

- A group goes to Jerusalem so a decision can be taken!

- It is decided what the Christians must abstain!

- So it is also important for us!

- Barnabas and Paul have an argument!

- They disagree about whom to take with them!

- Maybe we may think it is not important!

- But it is because it is related to their work for God!

- And if you need to work together it is better to agree!

15) Acts 16

Paul wants Timothy, the son of a believing Jewish woman

but of a Greek father, to accompany him so he takes him

and circumcises him because of the Jews where he goes

for they all know his father is a Greek. In all the cities

they go, they tell the disciples about the decrees decided

by the apostles and the elders in Jerusalem. They can’t

go to some places because they are forbidden by the

holy spirit and by the spirit of Jesus. Then Paul gets a

vision at night where a Macedonian tells him to go

into Macedonia to help them. In Philippi they speak

to a group of women. One of them, Lydia who is

a worshipper of God listens to them and God opens

her heart. Then she and her household get baptized

and she invites them to stay with them. Then they

meet a servant girl with a spirit, a demon of divination,

and she keeps following them saying: “These men are

slaves of the Most High God and are proclaiming to you

the way of salvation.” After many days, Paul gets tired

and orders the spirit to leave the girl. But her masters

have made a lot of profit by fortune-telling. So they

seize Paul and Silas and drag them into the marketplace

to the rulers and speak against them. So the crowd rises

up together against them and the civil magistrates ,

after tearing the garments off them, give the command

to beat them with rods and throw them into prison. But

at night, when Paul and Silas are praying and praising

God with song, and the prisoners are listening to

them, suddenly a great earthquake occurs and all the

doors are instantly open, and everyone’s bonds come

loose. When the jailer wakes up and sees that the

prison doors are open, he wants to kill himself but Paul

tells not to do it because they are all present. And the

jailer asks Paul and Silas what he must do to be saved

and Paul tells him to believe in the Lord. So they teach

him with all those in his house. And the jailer washes

their wounds and he and his household are baptized. In

the morning, Paul and Silas are released. But Paul

refuses and says that the civil magistrates must

come themselves and escort them out. They are Romans

and didn’t do anything wrong so they don’t want

to be thrown out secretly. When they hear that Paul and

Silas are Romans, the civil magistrates grow fearful so

they come and escort them out and request them to

depart from the city. But they go to the house of Lydia.

And they encourage the brothers and depart.

- Paul and Silas travel and teach people and baptize them!

- Paul orders a spirit to leave a girl and they get into

trouble, they are beaten and put into prison!

- But God provokes an earthquake to destroy the prison!

- As a consequence, the jailer and his household

become Christians!

- And Paul will keep doing God’s work!

- And he knows he will get into trouble on many occasions!

- But nothing can prevent him from serving God because it is his purpose in life!

- Nothing else counts!

- Another good example to think about!

16) Acts 17

Paul arrives in Thessalonica and he goes to the synagogue

of the Jews. For three sabbaths he reasons with them from

the Scriptures, explaining and proving by references that

it was necessary for the Christ to suffer and to rise from

the dead. As a result, some of them become believers and

associate themselves with Paul and Silas, and so do a great

multitude of the Greeks who worship God, along with quite

a few of the principal women. As usual, the Jews are getting

jealous and they make a mess. They assault the house of

Jason and are seeking to have Paul and Silas brought out

to the mob. They can’t find them so they drag Jason and

some of the brothers to the city rulers who finally free

them. Then the brothers send Paul and Silas to Beroea

who go to the synagogue. There the Jews are more noble-

minded and they accept the word with the greatest

eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures

daily to see whether these things are so. Therefore, many

of them become believers, and so do quite a few of the

reputable Greek women as well as some of the men. But

the Jews from Thessalonica go to Beroea to agitate the

crowds against Paul and Silas and those who have accepted

their message. Then Paul is sent to Athens and then Silas

and Timothy. Paul becomes irritated on seeing that the city

is full of idols. He begins to reason in the synagogue with

the Jews and the other people who worship God and every

day in the marketplace with those who happen to be on

hand. Some Epicurean and Stoic philosophers discuss with

them and they bring them to the Areopagus. And Paul

speaks about God, a living God, not one made of gold or

sliver or stone or sculptured by men. Time has come for

God to judge the inhabited earth by a man whom he has

appointed and resurrected from the dead. Some become

believers.

- In Beroea, the Jews carefully examine the Scriptures

daily to see whether these things are right!

- That’s interesting because they listen but not only,

they carefully examine the Scriptures!

- Moreover, they do it daily!

- That’s what we can call 100% active!

- It is not possible to let others think for us!

- It is not possible to let others decide for us!

- The equipment is here: the Bible!

- We just have to dig again and again!

- It was about Matthias who was chosen as twelth apostle to replace Judas!

-As it is said, it was to be a disciple from the beginning!
Jesus chose Paul, not Matthias. many disciples, but only 12 special ones. apostles today are called missionaries.

- Ok so what about Acts chapter 2!

- All the disciples are together for the festival of Pentecost!

- They all receive holy spirit!

- And they start to speak in different languages!

- And people from many nations can understand them speaking about God's Kingdom!

- And here is what Peter says in verse 17:

‘In
ἐν (en)
Preposition

the
ταῖς (tais)
Article - Dative Feminine Plural

last
ἐσχάταις (eschatais)
Adjective - Dative Feminine Plural
Strong's 2078: Last, at the last, finally, till the end. A superlative probably from echo; farthest, final.

days,
ἡμέραις (hēmerais)
Noun - Dative Feminine Plural
Strong's 2250: A day, the period from sunrise to sunset.

God
Θεός (Theos)
Strong's 2316: A deity, especially the supreme Divinity; figuratively, a magistrate; by Hebraism, very.

says,
λέγει (legei)
Strong's 3004: (a) I say, speak; I mean, mention, tell, (b) I call, name, especially in the pass., (c) I tell, command.

I will pour out
ἐκχεῶ (ekcheō)
Verb - Future Indicative Active - 1st Person Singular
Strong's 1632: Or ekchuno ek-khoo'-no from ek and cheo; to pour forth; figuratively, to bestow.

My
μου (mou)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive 1st Person Singular

Spirit
Πνεύματός (Pneumatos)
Strong's 4151: Wind, breath, spirit.

on
ἐπὶ (epi)
Preposition

all
πᾶσαν (pasan)
Adjective - Accusative Feminine Singular

people;
σάρκα (sarka)
Strong's 4561: Flesh, body, human nature, materiality; kindred.

your
ὑμῶν (hymōn)
Personal / Possessive Pronoun - Genitive 2nd Person Plural

sons
υἱοὶ (huioi)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 5207: A son, descendent. Apparently a primary word; a 'son', used very widely of immediate, remote or figuratively, kinship.

and
καὶ (kai)
Conjunction

daughters
θυγατέρες (thygateres)
Noun - Nominative Feminine Plural
Strong's 2364: Apparently a primary word; a female child, or descendant.

will prophesy,
προφητεύσουσιν (prophēteusousin)
Verb - Future Indicative Active - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 4395: From prophetes; to foretell events, divine, speak under inspiration, exercise the prophetic office.

your
ὑμῶν (hymōn)

young men
νεανίσκοι (neaniskoi)
Noun - Nominative Masculine Plural
Strong's 3495: A young man, youth, an attendant. From the same as neanias; a youth.

will see
ὄψονται (opsontai)
Verb - Future Indicative Middle - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 3708: Properly, to stare at, i.e. to discern clearly; by extension, to attend to; by Hebraism, to experience; passively, to appear.

visions,
ὁράσεις (horaseis)
Noun - Accusative Feminine Plural
Strong's 3706: A sight, vision, appearance. From horao; the act of gazing, i.e. an aspect or an inspired appearance.

your
ὑμῶν (hymōn)

old men
πρεσβύτεροι (presbyteroi)
Adjective - Nominative Masculine Plural - Comparative
Strong's 4245: Comparative of presbus; older; as noun, a senior; specially, an Israelite Sanhedrist or Christian 'presbyter'.

will dream
ἐνυπνιασθήσονται (enypniasthēsontai)
Verb - Future Indicative Passive - 3rd Person Plural
Strong's 1797: To dream (see visions) in my sleep. Middle voice from enupnion; to dream.

dreams.
ἐνυπνίοις (enypniois)
Noun - Dative Neuter Plural

what about it, they were never given the authority. so who do you believe? them or Jesus on the road to Damascus?

Back