• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

What books are you reading?

Matthias

Advanced Poster
There was a time …

“They were known as the ‘book women.’ They would saddle up, usually at dawn, to pick their way along snowy hillsides and through muddy creeks with a simple goal: to deliver reading material to Kentucky’s isolated mountain communities.”

Don’t take reading for granted. When I was teaching I encouraged my students to read with this admonition:

Read widely. Read deeply. Read thoughtfully. Read critically.

I place the highest priority on reading the Bible, daily. However, I recommend reading on a wide variety of subjects.

I’m currently reading The Divine Institutes, written by Lactantius.

I don’t know what I will read next but my reading list is extensive and I’m always interested in hearing about what others are reading.

So, what are “you” currently reading?

Are there any books which you would like to recommend to others? If so, please feel free to do so in this thread.

“To know a man’s library is, in some measure, to know a man’s mind.” - Geraldine Brooks

One of my favorite things to do when I visit someone and notice books on a shelf in their home, is to ask for permission to take a quick look at them. I’ve never met anyone yet who hasn’t happily granted me permission. Doing so has stimulated many good conversations, given me some insight into what my host is interested in and informed by, as well as discovering books (and subjects) which I might also be interesting in reading.

I have a personal library, consisting of around 750 volumes, in my home. I’m delighted when guests express an interest in seeing it.

It’s quite common on Internet discussion forums where religion is discussed to come across conversations where the topic is favorite passages from the Bible. I’ve never seen anyone (besides me) mention one of my favorite passages -> 2 Timothy 4:13.

”When you come bring the coat that I left at Troas with Carpus, and the books, especially the parchments.”

Confession. I sometimes think to myself when I‘m on my way to visit a public library or to shop at a bookstore, “I’m going to Troas.”

Back