• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

question on the 10 kingdoms in the end

Jessie

Pro Poster
I remember a overlay of a map a long time ago here. dont know if its still on the board.

would like to find out who the 10 kingdoms of the old roman empire are today.

where do I look?

I come up with nothing researching it

Heather Frank

restricted access
That's usually described as being the great powers in Europe which emerged as Rome declined. One source for history on that is Edward Gibbon. At present, saying "the ten Kingdoms" kind of tends to date you, since there have been revolutions in France and Germany for example. If you're wondering where they got those maps and tribe names, they got them from Roman sources. Funnily enough, with Europe, the first histories and identifications of the indigenous or white people come from the colonizing Roman Army. Romans didn't say much about us, just noted who they thought we were in their duty reports.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
That's usually described as being the great powers in Europe which emerged as Rome declined. One source for history on that is Edward Gibbon. At present, saying "the ten Kingdoms" kind of tends to date you, since there have been revolutions in France and Germany for example. If you're wondering where they got those maps and tribe names, they got them from Roman sources. Funnily enough, with Europe, the first histories and identifications of the indigenous or white people come from the colonizing Roman Army. Romans didn't say much about us, just noted who they thought we were in their duty reports.
The answer is simple, overlay the two maps and you have the 10 toes.

Heather Frank

restricted access
Yeah, I get it. One thing that strikes me very strongly about the imagery in this vision is that the feet are clay mixed with Iron, and the Iron part of the statue represented Rome. So there you have a visual of catholic and protestant issues, or alternatively church and state conflicts, which if you have a United States historical perspective can lead up to the disestablishment clause in the constitution.