• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

What does the Bible say about gratitude?

Jennifer Rogers

Expressing gratitude will be very important to people, gratitude is also a measure of human moral standards. So what does the Bible say about gratitude, and what are its benefits to you? Read the article below to learn more about gratitude.

Gratitude brings happiness and is beneficial to your health.
The Bible always encourages us to cultivate a spirit of gratitude. The apostle Paul admonished: “Show gratitude,” and he set a fine example of this. For example, the “unceasingly gave thanks to God” when he saw others actively responding to the message he shared. —Colossians 3:15; 1 Thessalonians 2:13 ). Lasting happiness doesn't come from saying thank you every now and then, but from having a grateful spirit. This attitude protects us from selfish tendencies, jealousy, resentment, and emotions that alienate others and rob us of joy in life.
Our Creator Himself sets a wonderful example in this to show appreciation, even to small humans! Hebrews 6:10 says: “God is not just to forget his work and the love people have shown to his name.” Indeed, the Creator considers a lack of appreciation to be unjust or unjust.
“Always be happy. Give thanks for everything” -1 Thessalonians 5:16, 18.
Gratitude improves relationships with others.
Jesus encouraged: “Give, and it will be given to you. They will fill it up, compress it, shake it, and fill it up, and pour it on your bosom” (Luke 6:38). Consider the experience of a deaf girl named Rose in Vanuatu, an island nation in the South Pacific.
Although Rose attended meetings with Jehovah's Witnesses, she did not benefit much because neither you nor the members of the congregation knew sign language. A couple who are fluent sign language interpreters visited the congregation. When they realized the problem, they opened a sign language class. Rose was very appreciative. She said, “I am very happy to have so many friends who love me”. The couple was very happy when she expressed her gratitude and can now contribute to the meetings. In addition, Rose is also grateful to the other brothers and sisters who made efforts to learn sign language to communicate with me. - Acts 20:35.
“He who offers sacrifices out of gratitude is one who respects [God].” -Psalm 50:23.
How can a spirit of gratitude be cultivated?
Emotions are associated with thoughts. The Bible writer David said in his prayer: “I…thought all the things you have done, and ponder the works of your hands” (Ps 143:5). Yes, David was not a shallow man. His grateful spirit came from meditating on God's ways, a habit he cultivated throughout his life. - Psalm 71:5, 17.
The Bible gives wonderful counsel: “Let anything be true, lovable, of good repute, virtuous, and praiseworthy, keep thinking about it” (Philippians 4:8). Again, the phrase “keep thinking” shows that reflection is essential to a spirit of gratitude.
“To ponder my heart shall be understanding” - Psalm 49:3.