• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

The King James Version

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
A lot of good information. :nod: Hopefully an eye opener for those who don't realize how fast and far language changes over time.

Even then, the KJV dictionary does not include them all. Such as Zion/Sion. Both the same place and name but spelled differently for some unknown reason.

We have tangled with I don't know how many KJVO that have built doctrines around these two spelling that totally redefine some important Biblical teachings.

C

conan

Even then, the KJV dictionary does not include them all.

A Strong's should just about take care of the rest.

Such as Zion/Sion. Both the same place and name but spelled differently for some unknown reason.

Probably due to the early printer's. The translators were concered with translating, and there different spellings were the norm of the time. Plus, the printers could and did change spelling's to fit their line's. Some of it may be old spellings left over from the Bishop's Bible, from which copies of the translator's worked from. All books back then had varient spelling's, especially Shakespeare.

We have tangled with I don't know how many KJVO that have built doctrines around these two spelling that totally redefine some important Biblical teachings.

None of the KJV defender's that I know would do such a thing, you must of run into some really weird ones.:eek:

Jessie

Pro Poster
conan said:
http://www.pronetisp.net/~diana/wcm.html

WORDS WHICH HAVE CHANGED IN MEANING

The following list of over 500 archaic and obsolete words and phrases has been prepared in order to help the average reader understand more readily the meaning of the King James Version. Of course, not all of these words and phrases are inappropriate in all contexts and hence each expression is followed by a list of those passages in which misunderstanding is likely to occur.

In each instance the bold-face word or phrase represents the King James text. This is followed by a dash to separate it from the more meaningful alternative. Where there is more than one alternative, each is given and the corresponding passages are listed.

Though this list of archaic and obsolete words is not exhaustive, it does, however, provide the reader with a handy reference to most expressions which are likely to produce difficulty in comprehending the meaning of the King James Version.

it is amazing at some of those words. some of them from the context I could understand but
some are so opposite today from that day its day and night.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Conan, we agree the KJV is a Bible, not the Bible, and has issues?

Gets to the question of why anyone, who understands these issues, would use it, when it requires jumping through so many extra hoops?

C

conan

It is well worth the effort to use the KJV. One, it is a very skilled literal Version. They followed William Tyndales Version for 80-90%, that alone makes it an excellent translation. Two, there are a great many tools for the KJV, which do not neccesarly work for other version.

Alls one has to do is read it (especially the Gospels and Acts) and see the quality.

I kinda like this persons recomended Versions.

http://www.bible-researcher.com/links06.html

Bible Versions. No version is perfect. I have never seen a version of the Bible that completely satisfied me. But I recommend the following three versions for people who are able to read English at a twelfth grade level.
  • The King James Version. This is historically the most important version and it continues to be the most impressive literary translation of the Bible ever made. All serious students of the English Bible should make themselves thoroughly familiar with it. The best editions are those printed by the Cambridge University Press. I recommend their Cameo Reference Edition.
  • English Standard Version. This is, in my opinion, the best general-purpose Bible now available. It is more accurate than the NIV, more idiomatic than the NASB, and I think it is second only to the KJV in literary quality. Suitable for devotional reading, study, and expository preaching. See my review of the ESV for more information.
  • New American Standard Bible. This is (usually) the most literally accurate version of the Bible. It is sometimes difficult to understand, and "hard to love," but it is always very useful for close study.
  • The American Standard Version (1901), which is even more literal than the NASB, is also available now in a reprint by Star Bible Publications.
  • cambridge-interlinear.gif
    The Cambridge Interlinear Bible. I recommend this convenient edition for those who want to use the KJV while taking regular notice of the text of a more recent version (the English Revised Version of 1885). Where the two versions are identical, only one line of type appears. Where there is any deviation, the Revised Version is given as an upper line of smaller type, and the KJV as the lower line. This method immediately indicates where variations exist, yet it is possible to read either version with ease. Buy it from Amazon.com ($90 - but well worth it!)

C

conan

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
conan said:
Well, you don't need to use the KJV to look up word definitions. And concordances are doctrinally based, so you are reading someone's doctrine, not a actual unbiased study.

When I began studying, before you could go online and look things up, I used Bible dictionaries, encyclopedias and more. Laid them down next to the KJV and later the NIV.

Nor do they overcome the KJV mistranslations and archaic English. Despite what many think they just do not.

And I note, here, that all you are listing is from individuals reaching back into the 1800s. So, the English issues of the KJV simply carry over into them.

I used a variety of resources. I found the Zondervan's, in the 1960s, very valuable, because instead of taking their doctrinal stances on these things they took their own works, those you listed here and others and compared the thinking. They also did so in the English we use.

And further, they also dealt with KJV problems, clarifying and explaining many of them as the went.

These men are not to knocked. But so much more information and ready availability exists in more current times than ever existed for them.

This disdain and feelings by many that theologians and linquist, today, are less credible or sincere, because they do not use the KJV, is simply invalid.

Now, I use Strong's a lot. But I recognize his definitions include doctrinal statements. So I also refer to other linquists, which, in the places where his doctrinal inclusion are strongest, add a diminision lacking in his presentation.

And I look at archaelogy and such as well.

Bottom line is, ones who limits themselves to the old is missing a lot of good study and other information.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
It is well worth the effort to use the KJV. One, it is a very skilled literal Version. They followed William Tyndales Version for 80-90%, that alone makes it an excellent translation.
For its day.

I know of no recognized reputable linquist that takes the position it is either are superior to the NASB or NIV.

There were tons of debates when the NIV came out. All the top conservative Bible scholars debated it, on TV and print.

As far as accuracy of meaning and translation went, the KJV did not win.

Remember, there is no such thing as a literal Version. All are dynamic. And often where they attempt to stay word for word they are actually more inaccurate because languages do not translate word for word accurately.

Translaters translate meaning for meaning.
Two, there are a great many tools for the KJV, which do not neccesarly work for other version.
Working better with the KJV does not make them more accurate. It is good to be challenged by differences of wording. Makes one think and research more.

As with candlesticks/lampstands. Stunning how many think they were acutally candles.

Or, with the OT prostitutes, female/male. Stuns people the KJV is wrong and they were male, not female.

Or, that they do not have the faith of Christ.

And so on.

So many false doctrines come from the blind acceptance and failure to see the issues of the old English. The challenge is good, not bad, in the not working together that easily.

And the old is not always right. Challenge is good there as well.
Alls one has to do is read it (especially the Gospels and Acts) and see the quality.
Colorful and poetic reading does not equal quality.
I kinda like this persons recomended Versions.

http://www.bible-researcher.com/links06.html

Bible Versions. No version is perfect. I have never seen a version of the Bible that completely satisfied me.
Amen to that statement.
But I recommend the following three versions for people who are able to read English at a twelfth grade level.
  • The King James Version. This is historically the most important version and it continues to be the most impressive literary translation of the Bible ever made. All serious students of the English Bible should make themselves thoroughly familiar with it. The best editions are those printed by the Cambridge University Press. I recommend their Cameo Reference Edition.
I do not disagree with this statement. But the key reason why is the word historically.

But, being familiar does not mean beginning with the KJV. That is a road to problems to correct later.
  • English Standard Version. This is, in my opinion, the best general-purpose Bible now available. It is more accurate than the NIV, more idiomatic than the NASB, and I think it is second only to the KJV in literary quality. Suitable for devotional reading, study, and expository preaching. See my review of the ESV for more information.
Not a bad one at all. But in the attempts to be word for word literal, it looses things along the way.
  • New American Standard Bible. This is (usually) the most literally accurate version of the Bible. It is sometimes difficult to understand, and "hard to love," but it is always very useful for close study.
Sums it up nicely.
But more literal does not mean more accurate. That was a key note stated over and over in the linquistic debates about the NIV when it came out.

They all said the NIV fulfilled the more important role. Being more accurate meaning for meaning.

Literal word for word is deceptive in meaning and results for many.
  • cambridge-interlinear.gif
    The Cambridge Interlinear Bible. I recommend this convenient edition for those who want to use the KJV while taking regular notice of the text of a more recent version (the English Revised Version of 1885). Where the two versions are identical, only one line of type appears. Where there is any deviation, the Revised Version is given as an upper line of smaller type, and the KJV as the lower line. This method immediately indicates where variations exist, yet it is possible to read either version with ease. Buy it from Amazon.com ($90 - but well worth it!)
We part company on that one. I don't think cross referencing those two is of value.

I disagree all the digging and such required to get the KJV right and into modern understanding is worth it. It is an excuse for not using other versions.

Use the better versions and learn. Then read the KJV and there is value... THEN.

C

conan

CoreIssue said:
Well, you don't need to use the KJV to look up word definitions. And concordances are doctrinally based, so you are reading someone's doctrine, not a actual unbiased study.

I do not understand? A Greek/English Concordance list's everywhere a Greek word is used in the New Testament, no matter what English word/words are used to translate the Greek word. At the Link you can look at sample pages. In this case it uses lines from the KJV, but you can see how they translated, or even in some places mistranslated the original term. It is the same for the Hebrew/English concordance. If you use a regular Strong's, and the KJV translates a greek word five different ways, you would have to look up 5 different words, and that can be a lot of flipping. The same is true for the NASB.

When I began studying, before you could go online and look things up, I used Bible dictionaries, encyclopedias and more. Laid them down next to the KJV and later the NIV.

Nor do they overcome the KJV mistranslations and archaic English. Despite what many think they just do not.

Did they ever give information when the NIV was wrong?

And I note, here, that all you are listing is from individuals reaching back into the 1800s. So, the English issues of the KJV simply carry over into them.

That is back when scholars cared to make Bible study tools for laymen. They tried to include their countrymen.

I used a variety of resources. I found the Zondervan's, in the 1960s, very valuable, because instead of taking their doctrinal stances on these things they took their own works, those you listed here and others and compared the thinking. They also did so in the English we use.

Yep, back in the good old days, when Zondervan was republishing older works that had gone out of print, bringing them back because they had great worth. By the way, Zondervan back then had republished all three works that I listed at one time or another. How about that?!

And further, they also dealt with KJV problems, clarifying and explaining many of them as the went.

Excellent!

These men are not to knocked. But so much more information and ready availability exists in more current times than ever existed for them.

Agreed.

This disdain and feelings by many that theologians and linquist, today, are less credible or sincere, because they do not use the KJV, is simply invalid.

True, but it is a plain fact that there are some today that will lie and misslead to sell a product. It appears to be a regular business tactic with some. The "New Zondervan" has some on the payroll like that. There is nothing wrong with them making money, for they are a business, but to lie or misslead is unthinkable.

Now, I use Strong's a lot. But I recognize his definitions include doctrinal statements. So I also refer to other linquists, which, in the places where his doctrinal inclusion are strongest, add a diminision lacking in his presentation.

His definitons are designed to be brief, consise.

And I look at archaelogy and such as well.

Bottom line is, ones who limits themselves to the old is missing a lot of good study and other information.

Amen! Matthew 13:52
He said to them, "Therefore every teacher of the law who has been instructed about the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old."

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
I do not understand? A Greek/English Concordance list's everywhere a Greek word is used in the New Testament, no matter what English word/words are used to translate the Greek word. At the Link you can look at sample pages. In this case it uses lines from the KJV, but you can see how they translated, or even in some places mistranslated the original term. It is the same for the Hebrew/English concordance. If you use a regular Strong's, and the KJV translates a greek word five different ways, you would have to look up 5 different words, and that can be a lot of flipping. The same is true for the NASB.
The problem is that a KJV concordance only lists the words used in the KJV.

In example, you will get no return on lampstand, but will on candlestick.

Then you have to go to the Lexicon to get the word definition to find candlestick is wrong.

The point of a concordance is to show how it is used in the translated version. So, you must know the version to know what to look for. And that means you have studied your foundation using that version.

The key is, and always remains, the beginner reads and attempts to absorb how the version phrases it. With deeper study some will start using the Lexicon, but most will not. They will just see see how the version uses the word in different places and let it go at that.

Getting started with the best foundational version remains key.
Did they ever give information when the NIV was wrong?
They were not based on one version. They gave references from multiple versions and predated the NIV.

I was saved at 10 in 1961. The NIV did not come out until up in the 70s.

But when it did, my learning curve accelerated. Gave a clearer base that gave clearer questions to ask.
That is back when scholars cared to make Bible study tools for laymen. They tried to include their countrymen.
Propoganda.

The best tools I have ever seen came out in written form from the 70s forward. They pulled together the best of the old and new and gave a broader foundation of study.

Those from the 1800s also had some serious doctrinal problems. Work heavily stemmed from the doctrine dictating the findings.
Yep, back in the good old days, when Zondervan was republishing older works that had gone out of print, bringing them back because they had great worth. By the way, Zondervan back then had republished all three works that I listed at one time or another. How about that?!
Indeed they did. But the stuff that was new when I was young was superior. Why? Because they included the older works and brought in the new with them.
True, but it is a plain fact that there are some today that will lie and misslead to sell a product. It appears to be a regular business tactic with some. The "New Zondervan" has some on the payroll like that. There is nothing wrong with them making money, for they are a business, but to lie or misslead is unthinkable.
That has always been an issue. Read the history of the Bibles from the 1500s and even the KJV. There were heavy monetary and political considerations in those days as well.

And really, the KJV has been pulling in money from the beginning.

The copywrite has been continuously with the royalty of England from the start. It is not a free book, as many have been misled to believe.

Nor is every use of the NIV, NASB and such paid, either.

So get over the moral superiority argument. That is a KJVO invention.
His definitons are designed to be brief, consise.
And many most assuredly contain doctrinal statement unjustified by the word meaning. That is a fact.
Amen! Matthew 13:52
He said to them, "Therefore every teacher of the law who has been instructed about the kingdom of heaven is like the owner of a house who brings out of his storeroom new treasures as well as old."
Well said!

C

conan

Sorry that I have taken so long to answer!:scratch:

True enough. I was complaining that there is not one for the NASB. There is one for the NIV, but it is expensive and to free of a Version for that kind of work. However it is just a wish list, perhaps I have no right to complain.

In example, you will get no return on lampstand, but will on candlestick.

Then you have to go to the Lexicon to get the word definition to find candlestick is wrong.

The point of a concordance is to show how it is used in the translated version. So, you must know the version to know what to look for. And that means you have studied your foundation using that version.

The key is, and always remains, the beginner reads and attempts to absorb how the version phrases it. With deeper study some will start using the Lexicon, but most will not. They will just see see how the version uses the word in different places and let it go at that.

Ok.

Getting started with the best foundational version remains key.

Agreed.

They were not based on one version. They gave references from multiple versions and predated the NIV.

But when it did, my learning curve accelerated. Gave a clearer base that gave clearer questions to ask.

I appreciate your feed back. I am glad you found usefull newer works as well:tiphat:

That has always been an issue. Read the history of the Bibles from the 1500s and even the KJV. There were heavy monetary and political considerations in those days as well.

The copywrite has been continuously with the royalty of England from the start. It is not a free book, as many have been misled to believe.

True enough, but I wasn't meaning any of this. But since you brought it up, Tyndale New Testament's were very affordable.

It is true that Robert Baker paid the King for the right to print the KJV, and would be a money making enterprise. However it is my understanding that America has never recognized the copywrite on the KJV from day one of this country. You can copy it for free, hence all the internet sites that have the Version for free all over the place.

As far as I know, only the Biblegateway has the NIV, and they paid for the rights to have it. Perhaps 10,000 anually I think I heard.

I wasn't saying that, but since you brought it up, should the NIV and NASB charge alot of money to use it on the internet?

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry that I have taken so long to answer!:scratch:
No problem.
Quote:

True enough. I was complaining that there is not one for the NASB. There is one for the NIV, but it is expensive and to free of a Version for that kind of work. However it is just a wish list, perhaps I have no right to complain.

I wasn't disagreeing with your frustration. Just saying there are problems with the KJV concordances as well.
Quote:

I appreciate your feed back. I am glad you found usefull newer works as well:tiphat:
It is never easy.

I have no idea what they offer in the book stores now on these things. I moved past concorandances a long to time ago. As in the them telling me what it means.
Quote:

True enough, but I wasn't meaning any of this. But since you brought it up, Tyndale New Testament's were very affordable.

It is true that Robert Baker paid the King for the right to print the KJV, and would be a money making enterprise. However it is my understanding that America has never recognized the copywrite on the KJV from day one of this country. You can copy it for free, hence all the internet sites that have the Version for free all over the place.

The copyright issues is a international law status thing. No one, not just America, recognizes a legal copyright on it outside of the UK.

It is not free because of the goodness of anyones heart or original intent, as KJVO tries to declare.

Quote:

As far as I know, only the Biblegateway has the NIV, and they paid for the rights to have it. Perhaps 10,000 anually I think I heard.

On all the versions other than the KJV, I believe, they have it set up where x% can be quouted and such for free in other peoples works. More has to be paid.

Read here for permissions standards. Not as clear cut an issue as KJVO wishes to state. Many non-commerical usages are allowed free of charge.

The International Bible Society also has it on line. They pay nothing since they hold the copyright.
Plus, scripts are provided to allow non-commercial sites to link to the BibleGateway lookup free of charge. I had one on here on a previous script.
Quote:

I wasn't saying that, but since you brought it up, should the NIV and NASB charge alot of money to use it on the internet?

As I said, IBS puts it on for free. And they allow more than enough free usage for most needs.

I cannot find anything saying what the BibleGateway pays, if anything. Can you provide a source from a non KJVO site showing the arrangement BibleGateway has with the IBS?

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
An added note here.

All the commerical aspects of any Bible is expensive.

The Apostles and God, expected them to be fed, clothed and such. Thus they were not 'free.'

The real issue is how much, how often and why.

C

conan

Amen to your last two post's CoreIssue!

I cannot find anything saying what the BibleGateway pays, if anything. Can you provide a source from a non KJVO site showing the arrangement BibleGateway has with the IBS?

I cannot remember, but it was a site which listed many Versions. If I find it, I will report back with the information.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
conan said:
Amen to your last two post's CoreIssue!

I cannot remember, but it was a site which listed many Versions. If I find it, I will report back with the information.
Thanks.

PeterAV

Getting Started
Even better than all these lexIcons and dictionaries and modern versions are the built in dictionaries right in the Holy Bible itself.
Should try it out.
I can show a few examples if you would like.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
PeterAV said:
Even better than all these lexIcons and dictionaries and modern versions are the built in dictionaries right in the Holy Bible itself.
Should try it out.
I can show a few examples if you would like.
Really? The Bible, regardless of which version one uses, has a built in dictionary?

No. Not in the sense of defining every word as used in the Hebrew and Greek.

But if you mean a study version, I have an NIV and KJV study Bible. The NIV HOLY BIBLE study version is the more useful.

Parallel versions are also useful. Espcially the NIV and NASB in parallel.

PeterAV

Getting Started
No Core,I am talking of the only Holy Bible that IS the pure Holy Bible.
It alone has the built-in dictionary.
Right in the text and not with notes either.:tiphat:

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
PeterAV said:
No Core,I am talking of the only Holy Bible that IS the pure Holy Bible.
It alone has the built-in dictionary.
Right in the text and not with notes either.:tiphat:

Which version is that?

Sure isn't the KJV with the errors and adds it contains. ;)

PeterAV

Getting Started
So yer answer is no I presume?
Fair enough.
If you repent and change yer mind,I would be more than happy to show you the Built-in bible dictionary that is in the pure Holy Bible that I believe is the AV.K?I promise to be a gentleman:tiphat: and not get my dooks up.:catfight:

PeterAV
Every word of God is pure: