• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

Matthew 12:40

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
One night divided in two, not two nights. So Friday evening to midnight is one night. Friday midnight to Saturday midnight is one night. Saturday midnight to dawn Sunday is one night. Three nights.

Nobody but you make Your claim. I am done arguing with you.

Heather Frank

restricted access
One night divided in two, not two nights. So Friday evening to midnight is one night. Friday midnight to Saturday midnight is one night. Saturday midnight to dawn Sunday is one night. Three nights.

Nobody but you make Your claim. I am done arguing with you.
You don't know the story. Joshua prayed for help on the battlefield and God responded by extending the day light hours or "making time stand still" so that the Israelite army could defeat the Philistines. No by how much objective, absolute astronomical time did God extend the day, and how has this affected the world Calander since then and how is that notated on modern and historical world Calanders?

Heather Frank

restricted access
39 He answered, “A wicked and adulterous generation asks for a sign! But none will be given it except the sign of the prophet Jonah.40 For as Jonah was three days and three nights in the belly of a huge fish, so the Son of Man will be three days and three nights in the heart of the earth.41 The men of Nineveh will stand up at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for they repented at the preaching of Jonah, and now something greater than Jonah is here.42 The Queen of the South will rise at the judgment with this generation and condemn it; for she came from the ends of the earth to listen to Solomon’s wisdom, and now something greater than Solomon is here.
Was Jonah in the belly 72 hours?

Well, any student of history and Jewish culture knows a part of a day is considered a day. Just like today, If I say it will take 3 days to do a job, I don't mean 72 hours, just over a 3 day period. Does not matter if I start at 3:00 PM the first day and and finish at 11:00 AM the third.

Now, as for the heart of the earth. Christ compared it to Jonah. Jonah called being in the belly being in Sheol.
Jonah 2
2 1 [a]From inside the fish Jonah prayed to the Lord his God. 2 He said:

“In my distress I called to the Lord,
and he answered me.
From deep in the realm of the dead I called for help,
and you listened to my cry.
3 You hurled me into the depths,
into the very heart of the seas,
and the currents swirled about me;
all your waves and breakers
swept over me.
4 I said, ‘I have been banished
from your sight;
yet I will look again
toward your holy temple.’
5 The engulfing waters threatened me,[b]
the deep surrounded me;
seaweed was wrapped around my head.
6 To the roots of the mountains I sank down;
the earth beneath barred me in forever.
But you, Lord my God,
brought my life up from the pit.

“In my distress I called to the Lord,
and he answered me.
From deep in the realm of the dead I called for help,
and you listened to my cry.
3 You hurled me into the depths,
into the very heart of the seas,
and the currents swirled about me;
all your waves and breakers
swept over me.
4 I said, ‘I have been banished
from your sight;
yet I will look again
toward your holy temple.’
5 The engulfing waters threatened me,[b]
the deep surrounded me;
seaweed was wrapped around my head.
6 To the roots of the mountains I sank down;
the earth beneath barred me in forever.
But you, Lord my God,
brought my life up from the pit.
He said he was in the Pit. Hell and Paradise are indeed deep in the earth off of the Pit.

While Christ's bad was in the tomb his spirit did descend into the Pit, as all spirits did when parted from the flesh. He spent 3 days there and then ascended with all the spirits of the saints in tow on his way to heaven.

So, no, the tomb was not the heart of the earth. Only the body of Christ was in the tomb, not his spirit.

So Christ died, spent 3 days and 3 nights in the Pit, then arose. His spirit, not his body, is the issue at hand.
The depths of your imbecility never cease to blow me away. I mean, you're so mentally inferior, I'm actually IMPRESSED. The sheer stupidity of that garbage just wows me. You think that somehow, the notion of a three-day job in most normal people's life not being worked straight through for seventy-two hours, even in Jewish timekeeping (I will grant you that when the Jews were the nigger's slaves they were worked to death straight through without rest or water, same as in Auschwitz) somehow translates to Jesus not actually having been in the tomb or the grave for three whole days and night, or 72 hours which is what the Bible states.
Well, I guess you either just can't count, or don't know anything about celestial timekeeping, which is astronomy.

Heather Frank

restricted access
Whenever the three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40 is brought up in a “discussion” with 6th day crucifixion folks, they frequently argue that it is a common Jewish idiom for counting any part of a day as a whole day. I wonder if anyone (who thinks that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week and who thinks that the "heart of the earth" means the tomb) knows of any writing which shows a phrase stating a specific number of days and/or a specific number of nights being used in the first century or before when it absolutely couldn't have included at least parts of each one of the specific number of days and at least parts of each one of the specific number of nights?
You don't read the Bible faithfully enough. Nothing in the scriptures is a common idiom, it's all inspired by God. You're just a hypocrite. Stop spewing sewage from your bilge about religion when you aren't even sober enough to say what you mean and mean what you say. Better yet, stop drinking so much! your moron IQ is poking out your open fly!

rstrats

Advanced Poster
Heather Frank,

re: "You don't read the Bible faithfully enough.

In what way with regard to this topic?

re: "Nothing in the scriptures is a common idiom, it's all inspired by God."
T
Then this topic doesn't apply to you.

"You're just a hypocrite. "

How so - please be specific?

re: ""Stop spewing sewage from your bilge about religion..."

What specific bilge about religion have I spewed? Please be specific.

re: "...when you aren't even sober enough to say what you mean and mean what you say."

I don't drink. I've said exactly what I mean, and have meant every word of it.

Let me repeat:

The Messiah said that He would be three days and three nights in the "heart of the earth".

There are some who think that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with the resurrection taking place on the 1st day of the week.

And of those, there are some who think that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb or at the earliest to the moment when His spirit left His body).

However, a 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection allows for only 2 nights to be involved.

To account for the lack of a 3rd night, there may be some of those mentioned above who try to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was using common figure of speech/colloquial language.

I'm simply curious if anyone who may fall in the above group of believers might provide examples to support the belief of commonality; i.e., instances where a daytime or a night time was forecast or said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred.

XRose

Getting Started
restriced access
He said he was in the Pit. Hell and Paradise are indeed deep in the earth off of the Pit.

While Christ's bad was in the tomb his spirit did descend into the Pit, as all spirits did when parted from the flesh. He spent 3 days there and then ascended with all the spirits of the saints in tow on his way to heaven.

So, no, the tomb was not the heart of the earth. Only the body of Christ was in the tomb, not his spirit.

So Christ died, spent 3 days and 3 nights in the Pit, then arose. His spirit, not his body, is the issue at hand.

XRose

Getting Started
restriced access

I haven't a clue where you get such muddled satanic ideas! Maybe too much Lord of the Rings or some such Hollywood garbage?
When Jesus's human body died his spirit spirit left to go to the pit to tell the imprisoned fallen angles of Satan's first gang that Satan had failed and he had died a sinless sacrifice just like all the passover lambs.
There are no saints in heaven except in pagan Catholic myths.
The Bible clearly says Jesus did not go to heaven until quite a while after he rose from the dead.
Don't you people rad the Bible?

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member

I haven't a clue where you get such muddled satanic ideas! Maybe too much Lord of the Rings or some such Hollywood garbage?
When Jesus's human body died his spirit spirit left to go to the pit to tell the imprisoned fallen angles of Satan's first gang that Satan had failed and he had died a sinless sacrifice just like all the passover lambs.
There are no saints in heaven except in pagan Catholic myths.
The Bible clearly says Jesus did not go to heaven until quite a while after he rose from the dead.
Don't you people rad the Bible?