• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

Matthew 12:40

rstrats

Advanced Poster
You are wrong. Your question was answered.

I wonder if you might identify the number of the post which provided no ifs ands or buts examples from the 1st century or before which show that it was common to forecast or say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur?

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
You are wrong. Your question was answered.

I wonder if you might identify the number of the post which provided no ifs ands or buts examples from the 1st century or before which show that it was common to forecast or say that a daytime or a night time would be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could occur?

rstrats

Advanced Poster

rstrats

Advanced Poster
And again, that "someone new" needs to be someone who believes the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with a 1st day of the week resurrection, and who thinks that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb or at the earliest to when His spirit left His body, and who tries to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language of the period.

Heather Frank

restricted access
Whenever the three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40 is brought up in a “discussion” with 6th day crucifixion folks, they frequently argue that it is a common Jewish idiom for counting any part of a day as a whole day. I wonder if anyone (who thinks that the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week and who thinks that the "heart of the earth" means the tomb) knows of any writing which shows a phrase stating a specific number of days and/or a specific number of nights being used in the first century or before when it absolutely couldn't have included at least parts of each one of the specific number of days and at least parts of each one of the specific number of nights?
Wow, that must be really hard to timeline. If you just accept the Bible at face value (some Israelites wrote down their countries history), then that's one thing, hard enough. But if you also try to timeline the prophecy parts, including time dilations or contractions resulting in human choice provided that you accept free will as existing, then it's even harder and more complex. The simplest alternative is just to timeline only the history, as in Josephus or Martin of Tours, and that's hard enough. Leaving the prophecy part only to God (who just gives prophecy to the people he picks) and the more human oriented dream part just to the individual persons who receive those (in spite of the fact that other humans might be told the dream or interpret them) sounds like the William of Ockham logic book answer. It's probably best just to live the life God provided you with, also heeding reported prophecy and your own dreams if any, but leaving those out of your common non church and sacred life, keeping it just to your self, specially selected others and God.

rstrats

Advanced Poster

Heather Frank,

Are you a believer in a 6th day of the week crucifixion/1st day of the week resurrection?

Heather Frank

restricted access
Well, yeah, I've never even heard anyone at all try to argue that it happened on any other days of the week. Are there people with alternative dates? This is the first I've ever heard about it.

Heather Frank

restricted access
Lack of a third night? The way I hear it, Jesus died on the night of Friday. Now he was crucified on a Thursday, and hung on the cross for about two days alive. In the tombs on Saturday, Saturday night, and then Sunday, on which day he rose. Maybe the confusion is due to the fact that he was alive for one of the days he was on the cross. So Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday, rising on the fourth day.

Heather Frank

restricted access
So I heard. Of course, the original account just marks the time indicator in relation to a Passover Feast, and most everything in the Bible either gives dates with reference either to that or how lone the king has been reigning. You know, it's not clear. Or rather, I'm sure that full time scholar who worked would be able to determine a timeline with a fair degree of accuracy but the actually first of all the Bible isn't a history book in the modern sense (maps n chaps, battlefield coordinates and times of day) and secondly it just isn't written that way in most cases. The point is that the writer is telling the story. That is a good question, I could spend some time researching that. It might very well be that the Thursday or the Friday, or any other day of the week is simply a way that the masses and services remembering events were set into the European's liturgical calendar. Don't forget that their days of the week were also different from the Hebrew days of the week, as were the months and years. That wasn't a statement in physics, that was linguistic and referring to different reigns of different kings. Also, If you're just talking about when and on what day any particular mass or vespers is, just keep remembering that that's liturgical calendar. They yearly schedule of masses and services isn't the same as the literal events in Israel. That does raise interesting issues. Maybe no one knows when he died, except from the eyewitness accounts of a few people living under Roman occupation during a very violent Zionist Zealot revolution. People actually say that he was arrested tried and crucified at night, and it seems to indicate that it wasn't on a legal printed and recorded court docket. Maybe it's just some king of national or social or family or religious affair, and you have to be one of them to find out.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
In Hebrew time a day is sunset to sunset. The Hebrew time was used for religious purposes but the people in that day lived according to Roman time, which is midnight to midnight.

So by Roman time Christ was crucified and in the grave on Friday, Saturday and Sunday. I have no idea where he's getting this idea of only two nights. Friday evening is night time.

I will also note Roman Catholicism cannot be used in Bible study since even they admit they are not biblical Christians.

rstrats

Advanced Poster
So I heard.

Apparently I misunderstood you. So you weren't saying that you believed the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week. Consequently, this topic does not apply to you as that is to whom this topic is directed.

BTW, you write that people actually say that he was crucified at night. I have never come across anyone who says that the Messiah was crucified during the night time.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
The Bible is quite clear, Christ was crucified on the sixth day and had to be off the cross before sunset, the beginning of the Sabbath.

rstrats

Advanced Poster
The Hebrew time was used for religious purposes but the people in that day lived according to Roman time, which is midnight to midnight.

So if the Messiah was using Roman time when He made His Matthew 12:40 prophesy regarding 3 nights, and if it was based on a 6th day of the week burial/1st day of the week resurrection then 4 nights would be involved and not 3.