• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

Looking for Paul

JLG

restricted access
72) Jesus and Paul

Acts 23

- But the following night the Lord (4) stood by him and said: “Take courage! For just as you have been giving a thorough witness about me in Jerusalem, so you must also bear witness in Rome.”

JLG

restricted access
73) An angel of God and Paul

Acts 27

- Still, I now urge you to take courage, for not one of you will be lost, only the ship will. This night an angel of the God to whom I belong and to whom I render sacred service stood by me and said: ‘Have no fear, Paul. You must stand before Caesar, and look! God has granted to you all those sailing with you.’ So take courage, men, for I believe God that it will be exactly as I was told. However, we must be cast ashore on some island.”

JLG

restricted access
76) The holy spirit and Paul

- In most cases Paul deals with the holy spirit!

- It seems to be normal as Jesus told the disciples he would send them an helper the holy spirit!

- Through it they were able to do many things!

- It was a kind of starter or motivator as Jesus was physically not here anymore!

- Nevertheless, on some occasions, Jesus appears personally to Paul to choose him and to strengthen him!

JLG

restricted access
75) A chosen vessel and a Pharisee

Pharisees were members of a party that believed in resurrection and in following legal traditions that were ascribed not to the Bible but to “the traditions of the fathers.” Like the scribes, they were also well-known legal experts: hence the partial overlap of membership of the two groups.

Acts 8

- Saul, though, began to ravage the congregation. He would invade one house after another, dragging out both men and women and turning them over to prison.

- In fact, he was dedicated to his faith thinking he was doing the right thing!

JLG

restricted access
76) A chosen vessel and a Pharisee

Acts 9

- Now as he was traveling and getting near Damascus, suddenly a light from heaven flashed around him, and he fell to the ground and heard a voice say to him: “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me?” He asked: “Who are you, Lord?” He said: “I am Jesus, whom you are persecuting. But get up and go into the city, and you will be told what you must do.”

- In fact, he was chosen for a special mission!

- He began by teaching the Jews!

- But his main job was to teach the people of the nations with an incredible success!

- Jesus knew who he chose for this special mission!

- He needed someone who could be dedicated to his faith!

- But he had to be put on the right track!

- He knew a lot but he was wrong!

- His attitude showed that he was sincere!

- When Jesus told him the right way, he never said anything about his former faith!

- He was dedicated to his new faith telling about Jesus being resurrected!

- But the Lord said to him: “Go! because this man is a chosen vessel to me to bear my name to the nations as well as to kings and the sons of Israel. For I will show him plainly how many things he must suffer for my name.”

- And he never complained not like the Israelites when they left Egypt!

- He stayed for some days with the disciples in Damascus, and immediately in the synagogues he began to preach about Jesus, that this one is the Son of God!

- And all at once the Jews tried to kill him!

- In Jerusalem, Barnabas led him to the apostles!

- So he remained with them, moving about freely in Jerusalem, speaking boldly in the name of the Lord.

JLG

restricted access
77) A chosen vessel and a Pharisee

Acts 13

- Whenever he finds a synagogue, Paul teaches boldly the crowd:

However, they went on from Perga and came to Antioch in Pisidia. And going into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, they took a seat. After the public reading of the Law and the Prophets, the presiding officers of the synagogue sent word to them, saying: “Men, brothers, if you have any word of encouragement for the people, tell it.” So Paul stood up, and motioning with his hand, he said:

- As a consequence the Jews persecute him and those who are with him!

JLG

restricted access
78) A chosen vessel and a Pharisee

Acts 14

- In Iconium, he does the same!

- And each time many become believers both Jews and Greeks!

- And many signs and wonders are performed!

- And the Jews try to kill them!

- They are such a danger that the Jews go after them to oppose them!

- And each time, Paul encourages the disciples in the cities he gets through!

JLG

restricted access
79) A chosen vessel and a Pharisee

Acts 15

- Now some men came down from Judea and began to teach the brothers: “Unless you get circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved.” But after quite a bit of dissension and disputing by Paul and Barnabas with them, it was arranged for Paul, Barnabas, and some of the others to go up to the apostles and elders in Jerusalem regarding this issue.

- Here again we see the difference with Paul!

- He was a Pharisee but he turns his back from man’s tradition!

- Now he follows entirely Jesus’ teaching!

- Jesus chose him for a special purpose meaning Paul has something special!

- he could have chosen other people!

- But no, he chose Paul!

- And then when we read the Bible, we can see how effective he was spending all his time for his mission!

- And to clarify the situation, he doesn’t hesitate to go to Jerusalem!

- In Jerusalem, the apostles and the elders make it clear once for all!

- Therefore, my decision is not to trouble those from the nations who are turning to God, but to write them to abstain from things polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from what is strangled, and from blood.

- It can’t be clearer!

- No philosophy, no twisted words!

- And people would still find ways to mix everything with man’s tradition and used twisted words!

- But Paul is also a man with his own personality!

- He disagreed with Barnabas and they decide to go each one his way!

JLG

restricted access
80) A chosen vessel and a Pharisee

Acts 16

- So he arrived at Derbe and also at Lystra. And a disciple named Timothy was there, the son of a believing Jewish woman but of a Greek father, and he was well-reported-on by the brothers in Lystra and Iconium. Paul expressed the desire for Timothy to accompany him, and he took him and circumcised him because of the Jews in those places, for they all knew that his father was a Greek. As they traveled on through the cities, they would deliver to them for observance the decrees that had been decided on by the apostles and the elders who were in Jerusalem.

- Paul was educated as a Pharisee so he knows them and the other Jews that’s why he decides to circumcise Timothy because he is going to meet many of them!

- And they are hard to deal with but it has nothing to do with their arguments!

- Always arguing for anything!

- Remember the Gospels!

- And wherever he goes, he transmits the decrees from the apostles and elders from Jerusalem!

- He never discusses the places to go, when he is told to go, he goes!

- He is straight in his boots!

- Never tired, always patient and repeating the same things for people to understand!

- And the beat him, stone him, insult him and put him in prison and also try to kill him!

- But it never stops him on the contrary!

- The more tribulations he gets through, the more he speaks boldly!

- And the more the Jews try to kill him!

- Because he threatens their power and influence!

JLG

restricted access
81) A chosen vessel and a Pharisee

Acts 17

- In Thessalonica, Paul does his routine!

- Many become believers!

- And the Jews become jealous and provoke an uproar in the city!

- Another routine for the Jews!

- But they follow their forefathers that is always provoking trouble for themselves and the others because of their “behavior” against God!

- In Beroea it starts in a good way because these were more noble-minded than those in Thes·sa·lo·niʹca, for they accepted the word with the greatest eagerness of mind, carefully examining the Scriptures daily to see whether these things were so. Therefore, many of them became believers, and so did quite a few of the reputable Greek women as well as some of the men.

- And the Jews from Thessalonica come and provoke disorder and agitate the crowds!

- And Paul is sent to Athens!

- Same routine for Paul except an extra job in the Areopagus!

- But for Paul there is no difference: Jews or Greeks or Greek philosophers!

- And as usual more become believers!

JLG

restricted access
82) A chosen vessel and a Pharisee

Acts 18

- In Corinth, Paul works as a tentmaker and teaches in the synagogue every sabbath!

- When Silas and Timothy arrive, he spends his time teaching!

- Many Corinthians become believers!

- After that, Paul keeps traveling!

- Taking into account of the situation, Paul adapts to it and he can stay longer in a city or move to another one when it becomes too dangerous!

- In anything, he makes Jesus’ interests prosper!

JLG

restricted access
83) A chosen vessel and a Pharisee

Acts 19

- In Ephesus, Paul meets disciples who were baptized only in John’s baptism!

- So they have no idea of the holy spirit!

- And they get baptized in the name of Jesus!

- Then Paul lays hands on them!

- Finally, the holy spirit comes upon them and they begin speaking in foreign languages and prophesying!

- Thus each step is important!

- Now let’s compare with what happened with Cornelius:

While Peter was still speaking about these matters, the holy spirit came upon all those hearing the word. And the circumcised believers who had come with Peter were amazed, because the free gift of the holy spirit was being poured out also on people of the nations. For they heard them speaking in foreign languages and magnifying God. Then Peter responded: “Can anyone deny water to prevent these from being baptized who have received the holy spirit just as we have?” With that he commanded them to be baptized in the name of Jesus Christ. Then they requested him to stay for some days.

- Here the different steps are different!

- The people receive holy spirit!

- Then they get baptized!

- It’s different because the situation is different!

- Here we have the first people of the nations being baptized!

- And Peter was with disciples who were Jews!

- They could see that they received holy spirit like any other disciple!

- And this before being baptized!

- Thus the disciples who were Jews couldn’t say anything!

- When Peter came back to Jerusalem, the supporters of circumcision began to criticize him!

- Thus, he had to explain all the different events, his vision, the spirit who told him to go with Cornelius’ men, Cornelius’ vision, the people receiving holy spirit, then they stopped objecting!

JLG

restricted access
84) A chosen vessel and a Pharisee

Acts 20

- Wherever he goes, Paul always encourages the disciples!

- During a long talk at night, a young disciple falls down and die!

- As if it was nothing, Paul resurrects him and keeps talking!

- He is always turned on teaching about God’s word!

- The rest is secondary!

- Really an excellent example to follow and to remember and to think about!

- Yes, EXCELLENCY!

- However, from Miletus he sent word to Ephesus and called for the elders of the congregation. When they came to him, he said to them: “You well know how I conducted myself among you from the first day I stepped into the province of Asia, slaving for the Lord with all humility and with tears and trials that befell me by the plots of the Jews, while I did not hold back from telling you any of the things that were profitable nor from teaching you publicly and from house to house.

- Really a good summary of his ACTION!

- SLAVING FOR THE LORD WITH ALL HUMILITY AND WITH TEARS AND TRIALS!

- He knows that he is going to Jerusalem and then to Rome!

- END OF HIS MISSION AND OF HIS LIFE!

- He tells them to prepare for what comes next that is after my going away oppressive wolves will enter in among you and will not treat the flock with tenderness, and from among you yourselves men will rise and speak twisted things to draw away the disciples after themselves.

- THEREFORE KEEP AWAKE!

- He always cares for the disciples!

JLG

restricted access
85) A chosen vessel and a Pharisee

Acts 21

- That’s an interesting chapter!

- When Paul became Jesus’ disciple, he went away from man’s tradition to stay close to God’s word!

- Here we are told about many disciples who are Jews who are zealous for the Law, they keep to man’s tradition!

- They can’t turn their back from the past!

- Paul is so different!

- And Jesus knew it!

- Paul must show that he is walking orderly and keeping the Law at the same time!

- As for the believers from among the nations, we have sent them our decision in writing that they should keep away from what is sacrificed to idols as well as from blood, from what is strangled, and from sexual immorality.”

- What a strange way!

- As if there were two ways!

- For Paul there was one way!

- Of course, it was new for the Jews that it was possible for the people of the nations to become Jesus’ disciples!

- Everything was mixed!

- For Paul it was simple!

- Not a chosen vessel for nothing!

- But many could see Jesus’ miracles!

- Many could see the apostles’ miracles!

- Many could see Paul’s miracles!

- But they were not Paul and not a chosen vessel!

- it is easy to see with man’s eyes but with God’s eyes, that’s another story!

JLG

restricted access
86) A chosen vessel and a Pharisee

Acts 22

- Paul is always to speak boldly before anybody!

- But he also knows how to defend himself for example by saying he is a Roman when they want to interrogate him under scourging!

- In fact, he knows the laws and how to use them at the appropriate time!

JLG

restricted access
87) A chosen vessel and a Pharisee

Acts 23

- Paul knows how to divide the Pharisees and the Sadducees!

- Jesus is always at his side!

- He can speak in front of everybody, it doesn’t make any difference for Paul!

- He has a mission for Jesus to fill!

- No one will stop him!

JLG

restricted access
88) A chosen vessel and a Pharisee

Acts 24

- Paul is never afraid of telling the truth in front of anyone!

- And he always does it boldly and respectfully!

- He never lets himself be intimidated by anyone!

- He always speaks confidently!

JLG

restricted access
89) A chosen vessel and a Pharisee

Acts 25

- But Paul said: “I am standing before the judgment seat of Caesar, where I ought to be judged. I have done no wrong to the Jews, of which you are also becoming well-aware. If I am really a wrongdoer and have committed anything deserving of death, I do not beg off from dying; but if there is no substance to the accusations these men have made against me, no man has the right to hand me over to them as a favor. I appeal to Caesar!”

- Paul has filled his mission for Jesus by speaking about Jesus and God’s word in front of all kinds of people, simple ones or important one!

For Paul, it makes no difference!

- The climax of his mission is to go to Rome and speak about Jesus and God’s word before the most important man of the time who is Caesar!

- And we can be sure he did it boldly!

- Once again dying for Jesus and God’s word was not a problem for him!

- May we follow his example by speaking boldly about God’s word to anyone!

JLG

restricted access
90) A chosen vessel and a Pharisee

Acts 26

- Now as Paul was saying these things in his defense, Festus said in a loud voice: “You are going out of your mind, Paul! Great learning is driving you out of your mind!” But Paul said: “I am not going out of my mind, Your Excellency Festus, but I am speaking words of truth and of a sound mind. For a fact, the king to whom I am speaking so freely well knows about these things; I am convinced that not one of these things escapes his notice, for none of this has been done in a corner. Do you, King Agrippa, believe the Prophets? I know that you believe.” But Agrippa said to Paul: “In a short time you would persuade me to become a Christian.” At this Paul said: “I wish to God that whether in a short time or in a long time, not only you but also all those who hear me today would become men such as I am, with the exception of these prison bonds.”

- Paul answered boldly to the governor Felix and to King Agrippa!

- In fact, king Agrippa gave Paul the best possible compliment: In a short time you would persuade me to become a Christian”!

JLG

restricted access
91) A chosen vessel and a Pharisee

Acts 27

- Paul speaks boldly to the army officer: “Men, I can see that this voyage is going to result in damage and great loss not only of the cargo and the ship but also of our lives.”

- But they don’t listen to him!

- It doesn’t matter!

- They get into trouble as he had told them!

- And he does it a second time: “Men, you certainly should have taken my advice and not have put out to sea from Crete and as a result suffered this damage and loss. Still, I now urge you to take courage, for not one of you will be lost, only the ship will. This night an angel of the God to whom I belong and to whom I render sacred service stood by me and said: ‘Have no fear, Paul. You must stand before Caesar, and look! God has granted to you all those sailing with you.’ So take courage, men, for I believe God that it will be exactly as I was told. However, we must be cast ashore on some island.”

- He tells them boldly that they were wrong by not listening to him!

- But he goes on giving them instructions!

- And this time he was listened!

- Then he speaks a third time: “Unless these men remain in the ship, you cannot be saved.”

- And once again he was listened!

Then Paul encourages them all to take some food, saying: “Today is the 14th day you have been waiting anxiously, and you have gone without taking any food at all. So I encourage you to eat some food; this is in the interests of your safety, for not a hair of the head of any one of you will perish.”

- Another good example showing that in any situation Paul knows what to say and how to say it!