• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

King James Bible Test

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, there is continual communication.

But, we're clearly commanded to study.
2 Timothy 3:16-17 New International Version (NIV)
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

Willie T

Yes, there is continual communication.

But, we're clearly commanded to study.
2 Timothy 3:16-17 New International Version (NIV)
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of God[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.
I believe we should study, of course, though I like this rendering better:
2 Timothy 3:16-17 The Passion Translation (TPT)
16 Every Scripture[a] has been written by the Holy Spirit, the breath of God. It will empower you by its instruction and correction, giving you the strength to take the right direction and lead you deeper into the path of godliness. 17 Then you will be God’s servant, fully mature and perfectly prepared to fulfill any assignment God gives you.
Footnotes:
2 Timothy 3:16 Keep in mind that when Paul wrote this he was referring to the Torah and all the Old Testament writings. Today, “every Scripture” would include the New Testament as well.

However this verse really doesn't contain any command to study..... Not even the version I posted. So, let us try to refrain from reading more into specific verses than is really there. (There are several other verses we can use to "prove" we are commanded to study.)

Willie T

1. Never heard of that version before. I won't call it a translation the cause it is not.

https://www.gotquestions.org/Passion-Translation.html

2. One thing for sure, it is not a study bible.

3. Plus, the point is if you do not study how can it be good for the things I listed?
1. Yeah, that is always a classically typical argument..... As pitifully weak as it is. (BTW, what does the "V" in KJV stand for?)
2. Thank God!!
3. That is called, "hearing the Spirit."

Last edited:

Willie T

Speaking of "Study Bibles", did you know that King James had the Geneva Bible outlawed in England because it was a "Study Bible" (had interpretative notes in the margin). Then he ordered his own version of the Bible printed instead.

He wanted "Royal Privilege" exclusively for himself, and the Geneva Bible didn't give that to him. It gave it, instead, by interpretation, to all "common" men and women of God.

Willie T

As laid out in other threads the King James version is loaded with the errors and problems. So that really is not a good defense to offer. I use the NIV and NASB.

https://www.gotquestions.org/paraphrase-Bible.html
I think you may have missed the point entirely. We weren't talking about which version to use. We were discussing whether or not all our understand came only from pure intellectual and analytical study of the passages we just finished reading.

As I understand it, you say that is the only way. And I say that, "No, the word can also actually be brought to our awareness through direct mental communication with the Spirit of God." (No matter WHAT version of the Bible is utilized for our reading.... or even if the Bible, in any version, is not even specifically brought into a particular incident of communication, at all.)

I think you said the OP claimed he was doing "osmosis" Hocus Pocus by absorbing the contents of a book through contact with his chest. And I said that I felt he was merely meditating upon, and contemplating what he had just read. Where the book happened to reside during his thinking has nothing to do with anything...….. even if he did have some weird idea that his "inner eye" or some other fictional thing was reading a book through his pajamas.

Intellectual understand may never have dawned on him. He may not have understood what he read. In fact, he might have seen something in his reading that wasn't even written there. (Many of us seem to have done that very thing all down through history) Yet, he awakens with a completely Godly understanding of something.

Did he "absorb" it? I think we both know he didn't. BUT.... he DID get that understanding from somewhere that was FAR beyond the reach of his analytical intellect.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
I have never said anything other than learning is both by intellectual and spiritual means. Neglect of either is foolish.