• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

Is the Bible literal or figurative?

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
An example:

?

This is a symbol, figurative of something.

But I hope we all understand it's literal meaning and application.

!

Same here.

cryingsmiley.gif

Same here.

My point being many things that are symbolic or figurative have meanings that we instantly understand literally.

Bri

Luke 4:4 King James Version (KJV)
4 And Jesus answered him, saying, It is written, That man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word of God.
1 Peter 4:11 King James Version (KJV)
11 If any man speak, let him speak as the oracles of God; if any man minister, let him do it as of the ability which God giveth: that God in all things may be glorified through Jesus Christ, to whom be praise and dominion for ever and ever. Amen.
Matthew 24:35 King James Version (KJV)
35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
John 12:48 King James Version (KJV)
48 He that rejecteth me, and receiveth not my words, hath one that judgeth him: the word that I have spoken, the same shall judge him in the last day.
Psalm 12:6-7 King James Version (KJV)
6 The words of the Lord are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
7 Thou shalt keep them, O Lord, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.
Proverbs 25:2 King James Version (KJV)
2 It is the glory of God to conceal a thing: but the honour of kings is to search out a matter.
Ecclesiastes 8:4 King James Version (KJV)
4 Where the word of a king is, there is power: and who may say unto him, What doest thou?
2 Timothy 2:15 King James Version (KJV)
15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
Psalm 119:89-96 King James Version (KJV)
89 For ever, O Lord, thy word is settled in heaven.
90 Thy faithfulness is unto all generations: thou hast established the earth, and it abideth.
91 They continue this day according to thine ordinances: for all are thy servants

Last edited:

Willy

Pro Poster
Ephesians 6:11-12, 17

11 Put on the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to stand against the wiles of the devil.

12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high [places].

17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God:

Hebrews 4:12-13

12 For the word of God [is] quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and [is] a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

13 Neither is there any creature that is not manifest in his sight: but all things [are] naked and opened unto the eyes of him with whom we have to do.

1 Corinthians 1:17-24

For Christ sent me not to baptize, but to preach the gospel: not with wisdom of words, lest the cross of Christ should be made of none effect.

18 For the preaching of the cross is to them that perish foolishness; but unto us which are saved it is the power of God.

19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

20 Where [is] the wise? where [is] the scribe? where [is] the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God, it pleased God by the foolishness of preaching to save them that believe.

22 For the Jews require a sign, and the Greeks seek after wisdom:

23 But we preach Christ crucified, unto the Jews a stumblingblock, and unto the Greeks foolishness;

24 But unto them which are called, both Jews and Greeks, Christ the power of God, and the wisdom of God.