• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

Gal 5:11-12

clark thompson

Advanced Poster
Galatians 5:11-12 King James Version (KJV)
11 And I, brethren, if I yet preach circumcision, why do I yet suffer persecution? then is the offence of the cross ceased.

12 I would they were even cut off which trouble you.

Galatians 5:11-12 Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)

11 And as for me, brothers, if I am still preaching that circumcision is necessary, why am I still being persecuted? If that were the case, my preaching about the execution-stake would cause no offense whatever.12 I wish the people who are bothering you would go the whole way and castrate themselves!

Complete Jewish Bible(CJB) Copyright © 1998 by David H. Stern. All rights reserved.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

11 Paul did not teach against being circumcised, he had Timothy circumcised before he went with him on a missionary journey, Paul taught that circumcision was not needed for salvation. Paul taught the cross saves not circumcision, the Jewish people wanted to make themselves better than everyone else but we are all equals at the foot of the cross.

12 This is a pun. Circumcision was a cutting away of flesh and Paul is saying that he wishes they would circumcise themselves from you rather then they keep causing trouble. People who cause us to doubt we need to remove ourselves from if possible.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
I think the cutting away pun is an effective illustration. Get rid of that negative part of you.

Paul also said that even though we are all one in the Church, Jews are still a unique people to God.

That is affirmed in the description of the Body of Christ being being composed of two heirs. Those being Israel and the Church.