• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

Binding and Loosing

Lee Delivered

Matthew 16:19 and

whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in

heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven.

This is what I found after much research this morning. The Words Bind and Loose that Jesus was talking about is Forbidden and aloud.

That whatsoever the apostles declare forbidden God in heaven will also agree with the apostles. And whatsoever the apostles declare aloud God in heaven will also agree with His apostles that it will be aloud.

So then with this light, we should read it like this.

Whatsoever thou shalt deem Forbidden on earth shall be Forbidden in heaven and whatsoever thou shalt deem aloud on earth will be aloud in heaven.

Not to be confused, God was only talking to His apostles, not to us. We should not think we have the power to bind/Forbid or to Loose/Aloud anything. Only we ask Jesus to bind/Forbid or to Loose/Aloud for us. Where do we find out what it is that God has aloud and what He has Forbid. What ever the Bible says is Forbid or Aloud. I would like other people’s thoughts and comments.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
This is a complicated one to understand. Not sure any of us have the absolutely correct answer,

It always helps to know what words mean in the original languages, not modern English alone.
a key
  1. since the keeper of the keys has the power to open and to shut
  2. metaph. in the NT to denote power and authority of various kinds
Christ gave the Apostles certain authorities. We know they did miracles, etc beyond normal men.
to bind tie, fasten
  1. to bind, fasten with chains, to throw into chains
  2. metaph.
    1. Satan is said to bind a woman bent together by means of a demon, as his messenger, taking possession of the woman and preventing her from standing upright
    2. to bind, put under obligation, of the law, duty etc. 1b
  3. to be bound to one, a wife, a husband
    1. to forbid, prohibit, declare to be illicit
Number 2 and 3 are operative here. So, it does not mean what Catholics think it means.

Preaching the Gospel, in example, when accepted puts one in obligation to Christ.We become slaves, brothers and sisters, etc to Christ. We are eternally bound to him..
Definition
  1. to loose any person (or thing) tied or fastened
    1. bandages of the feet, the shoes,
    2. of a husband and wife joined together by the bond of matrimony
    3. of a single man, whether he has already had a wife or has not yet married
  2. to loose one bound, i.e. to unbind, release from bonds, set free
    1. of one bound up (swathed in bandages)
    2. bound with chains (a prisoner), discharge from prison, let go
  3. to loosen, undo, dissolve, anything bound, tied, or compacted together
    1. an assembly, i.e. to dismiss, break up
    2. laws, as having a binding force, are likened to bonds
    3. to annul, subvert
    4. to do away with, to deprive of authority, whether by precept or act
    5. to declare unlawful
    6. to loose what is compacted or built together, to break up, demolish, destroy
    7. to dissolve something coherent into parts, to destroy
    8. metaph., to overthrow, to do away with
When saved, we are freed from the bounds of sin and death.

Plus, this means not only upon salvation here on the earth, but also in heaven when we leave this earth.

That is what I see.