• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

Bible

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
Ezra 7:10 New International Version (NIV)
10 For Ezra had devoted himself to the study and observance of the Law of the Lord, and to teaching its decrees and laws in Israel.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
Joshua 1:8 New International Version (NIV)
8 Keep this Book of the Law always on your lips; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
Proverbs 4:10-13 New International Version (NIV)
10 Listen, my son, accept what I say,
and the years of your life will be many.
11 I instruct you in the way of wisdom
and lead you along straight paths.
12 When you walk, your steps will not be hampered;
when you run, you will not stumble.
13 Hold on to instruction, do not let it go;
guard it well, for it is your life.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
Acts 17:11 New International Version (NIV)
11 Now the Berean Jews were of more noble character than those in Thessalonica, for they received the message with great eagerness and examined the Scriptures every day to see if what Paul said was true.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
On Denying the Incarnation
4 Dear friends, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God, because many false prophets have gone out into the world

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
2 Timothy 3:16-17 New International Version (NIV)
16 All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, 17 so that the servant of Goda]">[a] may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
2 Timothy 2:15 New International Version (NIV)
15 Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who does not need to be ashamed and who correctly handles the word of truth.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
2 Timothy 2:2 New International Version (NIV)
2 And the things you have heard me say in the presence of many witnesses entrust to reliable people who will also be qualified to teach others.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
1 Peter 3:15 New International Version (NIV)
15 But in your hearts revere Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect,

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
Isaiah 55:11 New International Version (NIV)
11 so is my word that goes out from my mouth:
It will not return to me empty,
but will accomplish what I desire
and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
Psalm 119:96-98 New International Version (NIV)
96 To all perfection I see a limit,
but your commands are boundless.

מ Mem
97 Oh, how I love your law!
I meditate on it all day long.
98 Your commands are always with me
and make me wiser than my enemies.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
John 5:39-40 New International Version (NIV)
39 You studya]">[a] the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me to have life.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
Psalm 119:11-12 New International Version (NIV)
11 I have hidden your word in my heart
that I might not sin against you.
12 Praise be to you, Lord;
teach me your decrees.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
Psalm 37:31 New International Version (NIV)
31 The law of their God is in their hearts;
their feet do not slip.

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member
CoreIssue
CoreIssue Well-Known Member

Understanding this will help you in achieving what you need and want from Bible reading.

3 Steps to Help You Choose a New Bible
Unless you read Hebrew and Greek – the original language of the Bible – you must choose from one of the many English translations of the Bible. There are three basic levels or groups of translations. One of these groups will better align with your primary purpose than the others.

• Word-for-Word (also known as Formal Equivalent) – These translations are the closest to the grammar and syntax of the original language, but they can often sound wooden. Also, this kind of translation makes no consideration for cultural changes. This kind of translation is the best choice for in-depth Bible study. (Ex: Amplified, NKJV, NAB, ESV, NASB. Note: NIV falls somewhere between the Formal and Dynamic Equivalent)
  • Thought-for-thought (also known as Dynamic Equivalent) – These translations work to keep the overall original thought rather than attempt a literal word for word translation. Although not as technically accurate as the Formal Equivalent, they are much easier for 21st century westerners to understand. For instance, Dynamic Equivalent translations change idioms, figures of speech, and measurements into “equivalent” terms that we will understand. This kind of translation is still close enough to the original to be good for Bible study, but it is great for devotional reading and personal application. (Ex: NLT, CEV)
  • Paraphrase – This translation group departs the furthest from the original language but it provides a fresh reading experience. A paraphrase is more of a big-idea-for-big-idea translation. This translation group is fine for casual and inspirational reading but not recommended for study. With the paraphrase’s “storytelling” format, it would be great for family devotions with young children. (Ex: The Message)
  • Parallel Translations – Parallel Bibles display multiple translations side-by-side so readers can compare different versions of any given passage for deeper understanding.
I use the NIV because I believe it is a balance between dynamic and formal equivalent.

What they mean by cultural changes in example in the Greek the hand include the wrist but English does not.