• We strive to be a place where there can be honest discussion, debate and fellowship. The rules are few so you can speak your mind. We know we are living in tough times and we hope to share answers and help with each other. Please join us.

Who were the first “terrorist’s” coining the term-?

Do you consider the above acts of terrorism

• yes

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

jdyson

restricted access
TERRORISM, THE BEGINNING

Terrorist
a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.
ter·ror·ism
noun
the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

Definitions from Oxford Languages

FIRST ACTS OF TERRORISM, COINING THE PHRASE

November 6, 1944. Zionist terrorists of the Stern Gang assassinated the British Minister Resident in the Middle East, Lord Moyne, in Cairo.
July 22, 1946. Zionist terrorists blew up the King David Hotel in Jerusalem,.,.,killing or injuring more than 200 persons.
October 1, 1946. The British Embassy in Rome was badly damaged by bomb explosions, for which Irgun claimed responsibility.
September 3, 1947. A postal bomb addressed to the British War Office exploded in the post office sorting room in London, injuring 2 persons. It was attributed to Irgun or Stern Gangs. (The Sunday Times, Sept. 24, 1972, p.8)
December ll, 1947. Six Arabs were killed and 30 wounded when bombs were thrown from Jewish trucks at Arab buses in Haifa; 12 Arabs were killed and others injured in an attack by armed Zionists on an Arab coastal village near Haifa.
December 19, 1947. Haganah terrorists attacked an Arab village near Safad, blowing up two houses in the ruins of which were found the bodies of 10 Arabs, including 5 children. Haganah admitted responsibility for the attack.
December 13, 1947 -- February 10, 1948. Seven incidents of bomb-tossing at innocent Arab civilians in cafes and markets, killing 138 and wounding 271 others, During this period, there were 9 attacks on Arab buses. Zionists mined passenger trains on at least 4 occasions, killing 93 persons and wounding 161 others.
December 29, 1947. Two British constables and 11 Arabs were killed and 32 Arabs injured, at the Damascus Gate in Jerusalem when Irgun members threw a bomb from a taxi.
June 1947. Letters sent to British Cabinet Ministers were found to contain bombs.
December ll, 1947. Six Arabs were killed and 30 wounded when bombs were thrown from Jewish trucks at Arab buses in Haifa ; 12 Arabs were killed and others injured in an attack by armed Zionists on an Arab coastal village near Haifa.
December 29, 1947. Two British constables and 11 Arabs were killed and 32 Arabs injured, at the Damascus Gate in Jerusalem when Irgun members threw a bomb from a taxi.
January 4, 1948. Haganah terrorists wearing British Army uniforms penetrated into the center of Jaffa and blew up the Serai (the old Turkish Government House) killing more than 40 persons and wounding 98 others.
January 5, 1948. The Arab-owned Semiramis Hotel in Jerusalem was blown up, killing 20 persons.
January 16, 1948. Zionists blew up three Arab buildings. In the first, 8 children between the ages of 18 months and 12 years, died.
February 15, 1948. Haganah terrorists attacked an Arab village near Safad, blew up several houses, killing 11 Arabs, including 4 children.
March 3, 1948. Heavy damage was done to the Arab-owned Salam building in Haifa by Zionists who drove an army lorry ( truck) up to the building and escaped before the detonation of 400 Ib. of explosives; casualties numbered 11 Arabs and 3 Armenians killed and 23 injured.
March 22, 1948. A housing block in Iraq Street in Haifa was blown up killing 17 and injuring 100 others. Four members of the Stern Gang drove two truck-loads of explosives into the street and abandoned the vehicles before the explosion.
March 31, 1948. The Cairo-Haifa Express was mined, for the second time in a month, by an electronically-detonated land mine near Benyamina, killing 40 persons and wounding 60 others.
April 9, 1948. A combined force of Irgun Zvai Leumi and the Stern Gang, captured the Arab village of Deir Yassin and killed more than 200 unarmed civilians, including countless women and children. Older men and young women were paraded in chains in the Jewish Quarter of Jerusalem; 20 of the hostages were then in the quarry of Gevaat Shaul.
April 19, 1948. Fourteen Arabs were killed in a house in Tiberias, which was blown up by Zionist terrorists.
May 3, 1948. A book bomb addressed to a British Army officer, who had been stationed in Palestine exploded, killing his brother, Rex Farran.
May11, 1948. A letter bomb addressed to Sir Evelyn Barker, former Commanding Officer in Palestine, was detected in the nick of time by his wife.

Above is not the end of this tragic story, it just marks the beginning.

jdyson

restricted access
A must read------

Israeli refuseniks will be treated as criminals, says defence minister

Forty-three Israeli military intelligence reservists who signed a letter refusing to serve in the occupied Palestinian territories have been denounced as criminal by defence minister Moshe Ya'alon, as the country's political and military leadership turned its fire on the refuseniks.

The ferocity of the response was not unexpected by those involved. One signatory told the Guardian before publication that he feared being portrayed as an enemy of the state after the letter was made public.

Among those who have criticised the reservists' actions are Israel's prime minister, the president, opposition leaders and a former intelligence head. In addition, the Israeli military revealed that 200 other members of the unit had signed a counter-letter defending its work.

The reservists' letter had alleged the intelligence unit undertook "all-encompassing" surveillance of the Palestinians – whether involved in terrorism or not – and used information, including on sexual orientation, to blackmail individuals into becoming informants.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/sep/15/israeli-refuseniks-are-criminals-defence-minister

CoreIssue

Administrator
Staff member

Willy

Pro Poster
TERRORISM, THE BEGINNING

Terrorist
a person who uses unlawful violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.
ter·ror·ism
noun
the unlawful use of violence and intimidation, especially against civilians, in the pursuit of political aims.

Definitions from Oxford Languages

November 6, 1944. Zionist terrorists of the Stern Gang assassinated the British Minister Resident in the Middle East, Lord Moyne, in Cairo.
July 22, 1946. Zionist terrorists blew up the King David Hotel in Jerusalem,.,.,killing or injuring more than 200 persons.
October 1, 1946. The British Embassy in Rome was badly damaged by bomb explosions, for which Irgun claimed responsibility.
September 3, 1947. A postal bomb addressed to the British War Office exploded in the post office sorting room in London, injuring 2 persons. It was attributed to Irgun or Stern Gangs. (The Sunday Times, Sept. 24, 1972, p.8)
December ll, 1947. Six Arabs were killed and 30 wounded when bombs were thrown from Jewish trucks at Arab buses in Haifa; 12 Arabs were killed and others injured in an attack by armed Zionists on an Arab coastal village near Haifa.
December 19, 1947. Haganah terrorists attacked an Arab village near Safad, blowing up two houses in the ruins of which were found the bodies of 10 Arabs, including 5 children. Haganah admitted responsibility for the attack.
December 13, 1947 -- February 10, 1948. Seven incidents of bomb-tossing at innocent Arab civilians in cafes and markets, killing 138 and wounding 271 others, During this period, there were 9 attacks on Arab buses. Zionists mined passenger trains on at least 4 occasions, killing 93 persons and wounding 161 others.
June 1947. Letters sent to British Cabinet Ministers were found to contain bombs.
December ll, 1947. Six Arabs were killed and 30 wounded when bombs were thrown from Jewish trucks at Arab buses in Haifa ; 12 Arabs were killed and others injured in an attack by armed Zionists on an Arab coastal village near Haifa.
January 4, 1948. Haganah terrorists wearing British Army uniforms penetrated into the center of Jaffa and blew up the Serai (the old Turkish Government House) killing more than 40 persons and wounding 98 others.
January 5, 1948. The Arab-owned Semiramis Hotel in Jerusalem was blown up, killing 20 persons.
January 16, 1948. Zionists blew up three Arab buildings. In the first, 8 children between the ages of 18 months and 12 years, died.
February 15, 1948. Haganah terrorists attacked an Arab village near Safad, blew up several houses, killing 11 Arabs, including 4 children.
March 3, 1948. Heavy damage was done to the Arab-owned Salam building in Haifa by Zionists who drove an army lorry ( truck) up to the building and escaped before the detonation of 400 Ib. of explosives; casualties numbered 11 Arabs and 3 Armenians killed and 23 injured.
March 22, 1948. A housing block in Iraq Street in Haifa was blown up killing 17 and injuring 100 others. Four members of the Stern Gang drove two truck-loads of explosives into the street and abandoned the vehicles before the explosion.
March 31, 1948. The Cairo-Haifa Express was mined, for the second time in a month, by an electronically-detonated land mine near Benyamina, killing 40 persons and wounding 60 others.
April 9, 1948. A combined force of Irgun Zvai Leumi and the Stern Gang, captured the Arab village of Deir Yassin and killed more than 200 unarmed civilians, including countless women and children. Older men and young women were paraded in chains in the Jewish Quarter of Jerusalem; 20 of the hostages were then in the quarry of Gevaat Shaul.
April 19, 1948. Fourteen Arabs were killed in a house in Tiberias, which was blown up by Zionist terrorists.
May 3, 1948. A book bomb addressed to a British Army officer, who had been stationed in Palestine exploded, killing his brother, Rex Farran.
May11, 1948. A letter bomb addressed to Sir Evelyn Barker, former Commanding Officer in Palestine, was detected in the nick of time by his wife.

Be a little like this ...

Look in the mirror ... none righteous ... not one ..!!

How many people in distant lands are praying that God would stop you from killing them and destroying their homes ...?

Your (my) tax dollars at work ...

:popcorn:

jdyson

restricted access

How many people in distant lands are praying that God would stop you from killing them and destroying their homes ...?

Willy, I am sure Jack the ripper had a great excuse too

jdyson

restricted access

Willy, I am sure Jack the ripper had a great excuse too
some things need repeating, it exposes the worst of us, even traitors among us

Heather Frank

restricted access
While I'm sure that violent political criminals have been around since the fall, in modern terms terrorism has a specific enough legal meaning. I took the class Terrorism 101 from Chris McKenna, a former US Marine who finished university and became a history teacher. In terms of technically correct American English usage, the word terrorism goes back to and describes the conditions in Napoleonic France. It's derived from the thought of English commenters on the nation of France after it's revolution, developed especially by James Burke. There is a substantial difference between a revolutionary solider and a terrorist, the revolutionary is fighting openly on the battlefield, while the terrorist is a far more political species, promoting ideology in the political arena, and at times more openly at the actual official government level.

In current terms beyond the time of Napoleon, a terrorist in the sense of the word which was intended by the people who coined it would be the most like someone in the Soviet KGB, a police operator working for a government already in power (but not for one recognizable as legitimate).

Having said that, a non government agent like a revolutionary, but operating covertly or clandestinely (just like the declared revolutionary but without a uniform or identifying military marks and identification insignia) is also considered a terrorist.

jdyson

restricted access
but without a uniform or identifying military marks and identification insignia) is also considered a terrorist.
Personally, I define terrorism as an act to frighten, terrorize the general public.
Official definitions below:
ter·ror·ist
/ˈterərəst/
noun

Terrorism Definitions
International terrorism: Violent, criminal acts committed by individuals and/or groups who are inspired by, or associated with, designated foreign terrorist organizations or nations (state-sponsored).
Domestic terrorism: Violent, criminal acts committed by individuals and/or groups to further ideological goals stemming from domestic influences, such as those of a political, religious, social, racial, or environmental nature.
https://www.fbi.gov/investigate/terrorism

When a government uses its own military sniper teams to single out and murder children, I classify that as a terrorist act.

Heather Frank

restricted access
Oh, the current working FBI definition? Well that's the definition.
I think that what the professor in the class I took was actually trying to say, however, in referring the term back to the time of Napoleon, was that it's "unconventional warfare", and according to most history classes I've been in on battles in history, as a word to describe politically motivated violence, people trace it back to a German Napoleonic writer by the Name of Carl Von Clausewitz, who wrote a book Called On War. The German writer stated at the outset that "War is politics conducted by other means", and his fairly short essay elaborates.

Prior to Clausewitz, the "Great Powers of Europe" had for a long time engaged in battle according to a set of rules from Augustine, a very early Roman Christian convert who wrote a scholarly and theological treatise on Just War. The Crusades of the Middle Ages were fought in that manner, and further, the armies of the Northern Continent embraced a Julius Caesar style of organizational discipline, they would march in square formations and try to meet the enemy in ranged direct combat. ("The Chessboard battlefield paradigm").

Effectively, the transition from Medieval to Modern warfare (I realize that some people also think that all warfare is terrorism) was a move from a military motive rooted in the laws to a military motive rooted in nationalism and nationalist politics. It's hard to discuss and impossible to simply describe briefly, because the way people use the same words has changed, both over time and over space from Europe to the New World.

But essentially, the transition has been from a law based motive that translates fairly well into a republic (yes I understand that the Crusades were fought by Kingdoms) to a political motive, and it has become as Hegel kind of describes it politically dialectical. Terrorism, I think you could say, is almost war declared by a committee.

If my teacher is right, and I presume that he is, then terrorism (or Napoleonic Warfare as he describes it himself), Is conducted according to the principles of a couple of different people, and besides Clausewitz, there is his contemporary Karl Marx. I'm pretty sure that both of those writers also fought at the Battle of Austerlitz, they were Germans who were pro Napoleon and kind of opened the door for him to get into their country's so to speak. This isn't remembered so much today I don't think, people consider Clausewitz and Marx just academic writers. That might be because Napoleon lost the battle of Austerlitz though.

jdyson

restricted access
If my teacher is right, and I presume that he is, then
I am not talking about old historical events. I am talking about recent events, within the last 70+/- years.
More specifically,

Do you see the above as acts of terrorism?
Stern Gang
, also called Stern Group or Lehi, formally Loḥamei Ḥerut Yisraʾel (Hebrew: “Fighters for the Freedom of Israel”), Zionist extremist organization in Palestine, founded in 1940 by Avraham Stern (1907–42) after a split in the right-wing underground movement Irgun Zvai Leumi.
Stern Gang | Zionist extremist organization | Britannica

Heather Frank

restricted access
Militant nationalism directed equally at both England and various Arabs?
That sounds very complex. One argument that it's definitely terrorism is that England and Arab Caliphates have been at war for a long time and the people you are talking about might just be taking advantage of that chaos to further political aims.

Heather Frank

restricted access
Well, looking at that, one thing I would definitely say is that it reminds me of Ireland, actually. You're talking about the Zionist movement. About the ideology behind that, I know almost nothing. (Zion is the name of a small town in Illinois, near the Wisconsin State Line). I believe I once heard that tit was historically something to do with a guy by the name of Simon the Zealot. He might be the same Simon Magus to whom the question, "who is this Jesus that I should worship him?" is attributed. Simon was a person of Jesus day who wanted a secular uprising against Rome and wasn't too interested in religion much at all, as far as I can tell. He got his uprising too, or at least I believe so, and it is recorded by Flavius Josephus. I once heard him said to be ideologically descended from someone by the name of Judas Maccabeus, who is mentioned in the Apocryphal books. Yeah. Simon the Magus basically got Jerusalem sacked by Rome. Josephus said it was really pretty bad, yeah he was in the Roman Army and all, but he still sounds kinda scared. Also, he mentions that it was sad, the peaceful remainder of the Christians died in that too. The temple was destroyed by someone by the name of Liberalis, (wow, politics R us!). As Josephus states, it wasn't even constructed according to the original plans by Solomon for the temple, Herod Agrippa had added some embellishments, a watchtower, specifically, which Herod, who he describes as paranoid about treason used to use to just spy on the other Jews, basically. Well, I guess good riddance to Herod's uninspired temple, as far as your scholarship of modern Israel, all I really know is that about two hundred people died in there, and they're the inspiration for the modern Mossad.